The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

@redukt Cool find
tooneba wrote:The tracks and pianoroll must be the place users work most of the time in. And they seem small unless you everytime resize or tap show/hide command, because we can't rearrange the place of areas to fit confortably on each users screen aspect ratio.
I'm not seeing it. Tracks are small because you can do your editing in the editors. I like the size that they are, you can fit a decent amount on screen and waveforms are not large enough to be distracting. Live remembers how you size the piano roll, so I'm guessing bitwig does too. So you can split vertically between the arrange and piano roll however you wish. Or have each full screen, or on separate monitors. How else would you want to arrange them? Side by side on the same screen?

Ogopogo wrote:I'm not seeing it. Tracks are small because you can do your editing in the editors. I like the size that they are, you can fit a decent amount on screen and waveforms are not large enough to be distracting. Live remembers how you size the piano roll, so I'm guessing bitwig does too. So you can split vertically between the arrange and piano roll however you wish. Or have each full screen, or on separate monitors. How else would you want to arrange them? Side by side on the same screen?
Did you see the video? The guy in the video using one monitor. And most screen today is wide, so vertical resolution is limited than horizontal. It means you have to resize or tap hide/show command throughout the work when you want not awkward elongated ones. Probably that's one of the reason people says they need the arrangable workspace.

Everybody knew we don't have to care about work space when we use 3840×2160 4k display, but that's not what I'm talking about.

tooneba wrote:It means you have to resize or tap hide/show command throughout the work when you want not awkward elongated ones. Probably that's one of the reason people says they need the arrangable workspace.
Well it's essentially the same with arrangable windows isn't it? No matter where you put them you are stealing space from something else and you have to close/resize them to get the space back. How does being able to move it around make it more efficient?

as long as there are shortcuts to blend them in/out i see no problem at all..

I'm just curious to see if I'm misunderstanding something here. I mean I just don't see how they could be arranged to be more efficient than they are.

Probably you have been using Live on high resolution screen that may be why you don't get.

Well I used Live on a 1280x800 screen for a while. I actually prefer Live like that rather than on 1920x1080 which is what I'm on now because I think everything fits pretty well and you don't have so much screen in your face. But I don't think the screen size is really the issue. I just don't see where you would move each window to optimize their use better than it is by default on any screen. Can you give me an example?

One thing with Bitwig, can you fold the device panel at the bottom? I have seen screenshots with the info panel and the browser panel hidden, but not the bottom device panel. I assume that it can be...

The only thing I have seen with Bitwig (which I mentioned previously) is that I am guessing that I would prefer the device panel to extend all the way and the browser stop at the top of the device panel. But that is a small thing and made smaller by the fact that Bitwig has a single key command 'b' to hide (fold) the browser. I don't like the 3 keys needed to hide the browser in Live. Still... There is a point where an interface is good enough that I simply don't care of think about it being a couple percent better...

I like Live as is and I am sure I will like Bitwig as is too...

When you buy it (which of course will be day one) you'll then know :hihi:

Have we had a cat pic in a while? I just saw "cat's eye"

one should apply with a catpic for a copy of BWS :D

ah yea, cateye..

pdxindy wrote:One thing with Bitwig, can you fold the device panel at the bottom? I have seen screenshots with the info panel and the browser panel hidden, but not the bottom device panel. I assume that it can be...

The only thing I have seen with Bitwig (which I mentioned previously) is that I am guessing that I would prefer the device panel to extend all the way and the browser stop at the top of the device panel. But that is a small thing and made smaller by the fact that Bitwig has a single key command 'b' to hide (fold) the browser. I don't like the 3 keys needed to hide the browser in Live. Still... There is a point where an interface is good enough that I simply don't care of think about it being a couple percent better...

I like Live as is and I am sure I will like Bitwig as is too...
Can you undock the piano roll, or is there a shortcut to maximized it (docked)?

pdxindy wrote:One thing with Bitwig, can you fold the device panel at the bottom? I have seen screenshots with the info panel and the browser panel hidden, but not the bottom device panel. I assume that it can be...
Yes it can :-)

The Editor for midi and Audio can be scaled and remembers it's scaling for the session.
The Devices can't be scaled, the mixer can within certain limits.

The Inspector and the Browser can be hidden of course ("i" and "b").

Same with the editor ("e"), mixer ("m"), device chain ("d") etc. (Hit a shortcut once to switch to that view, hit it again to hide the view).

And of course you can also switch between the arrangement view (with or without the clip launcher visible), mixer view (= Session View in Live) (TAB-key) and edit view (fullscreen editor) (Shift-TAB).

I personally find BWS layout as optimal as it gets, but that's just me of course.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. No, you can't undock the piano roll, but you can use a two-monitor setup on one monitor and have one window with the editor only.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Sound great. The only window issue I had with live (and reaper too actually) was that sometimes there wasn't enough vertical piano roll space for a certain part, and it sounds like using shift tab to go back and forth between fullscreen editor is a pretty quick fix. With live you would have to resize up and then down and with Reaper you would have to set up screensets which are a pain I think.

There is also a fullscreen mode (F11) where the title bar and windows task bar vanishes for those moments where every pixel counts ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”