The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

group/meta clips also can be saved with all their contents so u store routing structures, can use templates too
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:group/meta clips also can be saved with all their contents so u store routing structures, can use templates too
Sure, but what if you have tens of channels with send FX?
It's easy if you know how

lesha wrote:
xbitz wrote:group/meta clips also can be saved with all their contents so u store routing structures, can use templates too
sends also can be macro controlled, so assign the aux sends to a macro knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQl6Asgs4s

ok, u can't modulate them(the sends), the modulation containers remove the aux tracks from the mixer so u can access only the instrument container layer faders from them, so currently there is no send LFOing etc. in Bitwig (just on the fx track but which is quite PITA)

I'm pretty sure you might have seen this press. It is the beginning; however, I did not even realize there is no quad core support. The touch screen issues add another dimension of difficulty to those in Music Production:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10104 ... d-more.htm

Microsoft has just taken the wraps off its very first laptop, the Surface Book (and yes, quite a few reviews on the laptop are generally positive). However, a few owners say they are noticing a slew of bugs — some of them seem to be serious.

Reports published on the Internet have compiled the problems that are affecting the Surface Book's users. Among the major troubles experienced by early adopters include the following, to name a few.

Lagging. A few users reported they experienced lagging performance on the Microsoft Edge web browser.

Freezing. Some complained that Windows 10 freezes or crashes before and after installing firmware updates.

Blackouts. Some reported the display of their Surface Book blacks out for no reason at all.

Scratches. Cracks and scratches were observed on some new Surface Books.

Screen Does Not Detach. The Surface Book touts a screen that can detach from the device's keyboard. This appears to be one of the troubles that are plaguing some of its users. Some say their screens do not detach entirely from the device's keyboard, while others report their screens do not separate from the keyboard at all.

"I just got my SB about 30 minutes ago. Of course I could detach the Clipboard at my first look. And now, I think mine is having physical problem," says one user named ChaeyeonHong, who took to the Microsoft's forum to gripe on the issue. "It DOES detach from keyboard, but part of them. The very end of right part just sticks to the keyboard so now I can see that the clipboard is not detached at all."

Poor Touchpad Response. Users report of Surface Book's poor touchpad response. Not too long ago, we already delved on the issue of the device's inconsistent trackpad as one of the product's downsides.

Poor Touchpad Response. Users report of Surface Book's poor touchpad response. Not too long ago, we already delved on the issue of the device's inconsistent trackpad as one of the product's downsides.

"The first is an inconsistent trackpad that’s jumpy, and often too sensitive or not sensitive enough," says Gizmodo. "After nearly two weeks using the Surface Book, I’ve grown accustomed to the trackpad’s wonky behavior."

A few more issues that have cropped up include:

• Changing color tones on the display change
• The device suddenly shutting down
• The display flickers
• The device notifies the user that the screen is detached when it is not
• The camera does not take photo

It also seems that the Surface Book has no quad-core CPU option for users who wish more power. A screen likewise wobbles due to a weight imbalance between the keyboard and the display.

**** So all-in with a new device is an interesting technological play. Of course MS will work on fixes, but the main selling points for a touch screen device have largely been thwarted *****

If and when this is resloved, the lack of quad-core is huge in just about everything. Bitwig might run on its own, with its included plugins, but add any third party powerhouses, and this is an issue big time. The worst use case would be plugins that inherently add latency, such as convolution with modulators & automation on send/return channels, etc. Just ask the folks at Ableton. They've largely worked through this issue with 9.2, however.

I will not be buying a Surface Pro. Anything that is useable for these sorts of purposes is upwards of $2000-- and that gets you into Surface Book territory, and with the way that beast is going, just get a Lenovo or Macbook Pro. The price point for an acceptable "full time" machine is $2500 give or take, so why not get one of the two mentioned-- or even go the desktop route with an iMac / MacPro or one of the equivalents on the WIN side?
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

xbitz wrote:
lesha wrote:
sends also can be macro controlled, so assign the aux sends to a macro knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQl6Asgs4s

ok, u can't modulate them(the sends), the modulation containers remove the aux tracks from the mixer so u can access only the instrument container layer faders from them, so currently there is no send LFOing etc. in Bitwig (just on the fx track but which is quite PITA)
LOL there are more exceptions here than an official bug report.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Im just reposting this here to get some peoples opinions:

Hi Guys

I've been thinking a lot about control signals lately and I think with the power of computers these days you should set a new standard of control signals at audio rate modulation.

I thought of the idea when using a midi lfo at a high speed it never works correctly it always seems to periodically glitch and as if it isn't fast enough. Same with all devices of this nature in Ableton as well.

Well what if there was an algorithm implemented software wide to convert actual audio signals in to modulation data/control data so when you say for example use the LFO its an actual sine wave or square etc. Any parameter should have an input to receive this and be controlled in this way.

This will open up a hell of a lot of doors in terms of interfacing with hardware and it would create a new standard basically going back to what control signals fundamentally are.

Its been done in Reaktor now as im sure you know and its also been implemented in Max with beep and oscillot. It needs to be implemented Daw wide I mean everything. I want to be able to port an actual LFO sine wave to say a volume fader and control it and have it behave like it would do if I patched two hardware modules together.

I reckon if you manage to effectively implement something like this software wide you could always have an option to save on CPU and just control with numbers. But if you did pull it off I reckon you would see other developers follow suite and it would create a new chapter in terms of how people control their audio software/hardware.

I also think or would hope that plugin manufactures eventually follow suite, then I can modulate reaktor with bitwig native effects and modulate third party plugins as well all back and forth in and out of each other.

I think everything is ultimately going this way so when you launch version 2 and its fully modular I think their should be optional audio rate modulation as standard control signals project wide.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Rich

Still thinking about this and need to do some work lol. But imagine if Ableton followed suit and you could use an envelope in Bitwig and control Ableton and vice versa... Right need to stop dreaming and make some music. I can see Bitwig pulling something like this off but it might be a dream for Ableton.

Well, all Bitwig factory devices are running modulation at audio rate already...
The Audio MOD for instance allows you to create your own compressors or whatever you can imagine, since it's working like that.
You can drive eq bands, filter parameters, effects...

VST 2.x does not support this, but in the future I'm sure it will happen (doesn't VST 3 allow it already?).

To transport it between software and hardware, you are actually talking about audio routing, so the usual suspects apply.
There are audio interfaces that especially are made to create control voltages...

It's early days and no general standard is available, but I'm sure this is where we are headed.

But the reason why it isn't already everywhere is the same as it was: it is much more taxing on the system than low control rates.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

memyselfandus wrote:Title speaks for itself.
Phase one... taking over the LIVE performance DAW world... check!

Next phase... to be continued... (speculation is modularity)

next level wrote:

Push2 captured http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/12/p ... -on-linux/ ... check :D

xbitz wrote:
next level wrote:

Push2 captured http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/12/p ... -on-linux/ ... check :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFpQouuHs5w

"Thank god someone bumped this thread!"

Suloo wrote:Image
:hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”