Looking for a DAW with 'non-linear' workflow

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://airmusictech.com/product/ignite#overview

Does not support vsti's, but it includes instruments that are fine for drafting. Mix and loop, etc, and then save the midi file to a normal host for vsti's. Lets you record two channels live for vocals or a guitar.

SODDI wrote:
jeffh wrote:If I may(please excuse my ignorance): Why would you want to loop a 3-bar and 5-bar sequence independently on top of each other indefinitely? I'm not knocking what you're doing, I'm just genuinely curious as to why someone would want to do that...
They will beat against each other in a most interesting way.
Exactly!! Especially when you apply a slight 'shift' to those. It's like the effect of e.g. Steve Reich's 'Clapping' :love: but with melodic structures.

With linear DAW's that workflow is to tedious. (I'm sorry Jo!)

No prob, just trying to understand what you really need. I understand that having to stretch the looped parts over the timeline is an extra step you want to avoid.

If MuLab would have a function: Sequence Part -> Play Forever (cfr that same Muzys function) which could be applied to all (selected) sequence parts, would that get you where you want? Then you don't have to draw-stretch the sequence parts on the timeline.

Note that every context function in MuLab can be assigned to a shortcut key, so you could setup the [F] key to quickly make the selected sequence parts play forever. I.e. Loop forever in this case.

mutools wrote:No prob, just trying to understand what you really need. I understand that having to stretch the looped parts over the timeline is an extra step you want to avoid.

If MuLab would have a function: Sequence Part -> Play Forever (cfr that same Muzys function) which could be applied to all (selected) sequence parts, would that get you where you want? Then you don't have to draw-stretch the sequence parts on the timeline.

(...)
Yes Jo, that would be a big help for me! :clap:

Thanks for thinking along! . :)

It's just that stretching the looped parts over the timeline lacks flexibility for me when wanting to 'shift' them against each other.

If I may go one step further. It would be wonderful if also a value could be applied to the number of times the 'per sequence loop' should occur. THAT would be really really cool! That could make me upgrade to Mulab 6 when released.

(BTW Jo. I saw that the thread 'What's next for Mulab' has been 'closed' by you. (Well not really closed, but it is not used since 12-'13).
I still have a top-5 wishlist. How do I make that known to you?

Slarti wrote:Yes Jo, that would be a big help for me! :clap: Thanks for thinking along! . :)
Ok, i'll add such "Loop Forever" function, it was already on the collective wishlist anyway, but will push it into M6.
If I may go one step further. It would be wonderful if also a value could be applied to the number of times the 'per sequence loop' should occur. THAT would be really really cool! That could make me upgrade to Mulab 6 when released.
It's not as simple as it seems because each sequence can also have a start offset, which may be within the loop, so if you say loop 8 times, then woud that be 8 complete loops, or the initial partial loop included..? Hope you see what i mean. And besides this practical question, i can't promise you this function in M6, to be honnest. The "Loop Forever" one is added on the M6 wishlist.
(BTW Jo. I saw that the thread 'What's next for Mulab' has been 'closed' by you. (Well not really closed, but it is not used since 12-'13).
Even though the M6 design plan is almost ready, feel free to post it in that 'What's next' topic, for at least it's always interesting to read what is wanted/needed by users.

Cheers!

At risk of sounding like an old broken record, Ableton Live does this very easily and IMHO has an agreeable learning curve. So I suggest you download the Ableton Live demo:
https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
...spend a couple of hours learning the basics, and if you like it, take this guy up on his very generous offer quickly (props to KrisM for the offer btw):
KrisM wrote:I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Live Lite that you can have for free, if you decide it will work for you. iirc it will become Live 9 Lite on registration, too.
If you need a hand setting stuff up or with the basics, just PM me, happy to help.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

mutools wrote:
Slarti wrote:Yes Jo, that would be a big help for me! :clap: Thanks for thinking along! . :)
Ok, i'll add such "Loop Forever" function, it was already on the collective wishlist anyway, but will push it into M6.
OK, that would be already a great start!
mutools wrote:
Slarti wrote:(BTW Jo. I saw that the thread 'What's next for Mulab' has been 'closed' by you. (Well not really closed, but it is not used since 12-'13).
Even though the M6 design plan is almost ready, feel free to post it in that 'What's next' topic, for at least it's always interesting to read what is wanted/needed by users.

Cheers!
OK, I will revive that thread then. Thanks for your constructive response . :)

BTW. Is there already a ballpark ETA for M6?

mcnelson wrote:At risk of sounding like an old broken record, Ableton Live does this very easily and IMHO has an agreeable learning curve. So I suggest you download the Ableton Live demo:
https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
...spend a couple of hours learning the basics, and if you like it, take this guy up on his very generous offer quickly (props to KrisM for the offer btw):
KrisM wrote:I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Live Lite that you can have for free, if you decide it will work for you. iirc it will become Live 9 Lite on registration, too.
If you need a hand setting stuff up or with the basics, just PM me, happy to help.
Well i finally tried the demo of Live, followed the included lessons and i must say i like it a lot! . :)

You're right it's a very generous offer and i already took the liberty of sending him a pm

Slarti wrote:BTW. Is there already a ballpark ETA for M6?
No precise ETA yet, but hopefully before summer.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”