Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First let me say thanks to this gossip thread for pointing me to the latest Reaper beta. I was having a problem with some of the newer Midi Editor features and this beta seems to have corrected them. Yeah!
That would have probably taken a year and a hundred bucks when I was using Sonar?
Is Reaper perfect, no. I understand that professionals use Pro Tools.
I tend to have songs worked out on guitar or keyboard before I start recording so a couple minutes to set things up is a minor distraction as I have pretty good idea where I'm going. Composing on the fly? I understand Live is good at that.

There are a lot of options, find one that makes you happy.
Peace Out :D

I am glad reaper hasn't worked like it's competitors - that's kinda why me and reaper clicked.

siriusbliss wrote: Samplitude ProX2 :wink:
With the "suite" integrated in it, making the people who paid extra for it look like jerks :hihi: After what they did with Pro X, I will never trust them anymore.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

The Dissonance wrote:I am glad reaper hasn't worked like it's competitors - that's kinda why me and reaper clicked.
That's one of the reasons I got it :wink: The other is because it's the best value for money DAW, imo.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: The other is because it's the best value for money DAW, imo.
Great value for sure. I rate it third in (technical) value in this order...

1. FLStudio. Pay $199 once (Producer Version) and never pay again.
2. Logic X: $199 for a heck of a lot of functionality and production ability.
3. Reaper: $60/$225 for a lot of functionality and not having to pay for every other major version.

With FLStudio being more electronic music based and Reaper being more audio recording focused, Logic may really be the best - general for the masses overall (on paper) - value there being that it seems to straddle that fence really well... arguably better than the other two.

I say "technical value" because 'value' is obviously pretty subjective.

LawrenceF wrote:
fmr wrote: The other is because it's the best value for money DAW, imo.
Great value for sure. I rate it third in (technical) value in this order...

1. FLStudio. Pay $199 once (Producer Version) and never pay again.
2. Logic X: $199 for a heck of a lot of functionality and production ability.
3. Reaper: $60/$225 for a lot of functionality and not having to pay for every other major version.

With FLStudio being more electronic music based and Reaper being more audio recording focused, Logic may really be the best - general for the masses overall (on paper) - value there being that it seems to straddle that fence really well... arguably better than the other two.
Logic has a big drawback, IMO - there is no upgrade path. Existing users of Logic Pro 9 have to pay the same as new users, which makes it one of the most expensive "upgrades" available. Not good value for money, IMO, except for absolute beginners.
Fernando (FMR)

My personal take on all that was that if Logic hadn't reduced it's list price to $199, people with Logic 9 would have probably paid $199 to upgrade to 10 anyway given that Logic was $500 or whatever at the time, so nothing really changed right then for existing users upgrading, only new users saw the new discounted price.

I guess we'll have to wait for Logic 11 to see if the "upgrade" price will be the full $199 for existing Logic 10 users or if it will be $79 or something. Or have they spoken directly to that already?

I can't imagine having to pay the full list price on every major version update, that wouldn't make much sense. It would be like continually buying the full app over and over.

It will probably be a couple of years before Logic 11 shows up... so... I guess we'll see how that shakes out, if they haven't already said so. I mean, there is no upgrade path to 10 (the new pricing model) but are you saying they've already said that there will never be an upgrade path going forward?

LawrenceF wrote:My personal take on all that was that if Logic hadn't reduced it's list price to $199, people with Logic 9 would have probably paid $199 to upgrade to 10 anyway given that Logic was $500 or whatever at the time, so nothing really changed right then for existing users upgrading, only new users saw the new discounted price.
Last upgrade price was 149,00, and it was already in the expensive side. No way this upgrade could cost more. So, 199,00 to existing users is not good value, it's a ripoff.

Upgrades are become less expensive. Cubase 7.5 upgrade costs 49,00 to users of version 7, and it offers probably more than Logic Pro X offers to Logic Pro 9 users. And next upgrade will probably cost 99,00 to users of version 7.5, as it happened with 7 to 6.5 users.
Fernando (FMR)

LawrenceF wrote:I mean, there is no upgrade path to 10 (the new pricing model) but are you saying they've already said that there will never be an upgrade path going forward?
There is no upgrade path to ANY application in iTunes Store. I am not seeing it change just because of Logic. So, they either will offer it for free to existing users (they did that with Mavericks), or they will charge full price again.
Fernando (FMR)

For amateurs, Reaper and Tracktion are the most value for money. Reaper maybe even for professionals as well, if you take the upgrade prices into account.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:For amateurs, Reaper and Tracktion are the most value for money. Reaper maybe even for professionals as well, if you take the upgrade prices into account.
That's right, if you pay 225 it's more professional and better sounding. :hihi:

You can make up to 20K with the "unprofessional" version. It's the exact same program though, is that what you meant?

.o0(inside joke alert.....) Over at studio one, we are waiting for the hobbyist version to come out since some of are not "professionals" and don't deserve the full program :hihi:

hibidy wrote:
spaceman wrote:For amateurs, Reaper and Tracktion are the most value for money. Reaper maybe even for professionals as well, if you take the upgrade prices into account.

You can make up to 20K with the "unprofessional" version. It's the exact same program though, is that what you meant?

.o0(inside joke alert.....) Over at studio one, we are waiting for the hobbyist version to come out since some of are not "professionals" and don't deserve the full program :hihi:
OMG, I'm using the unprofessional version of REAPER. I'll never get rich with making music... :cry: :help:

hibidy wrote:

I was indeed referring to the price when you get a professional license.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Tricky-Loops wrote:
hibidy wrote:

OMG, I'm using the unprofessional version of REAPER. I'll never get rich with making music... :cry: :help:
It's none of my business :hihi:

Tricky-Loops wrote:OMG, I'm using the unprofessional version of REAPER. I'll never get rich with making music... :cry: :help:
Thank God you discovered it. Better now than later :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”