Clipping in Average Performance Load

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vignesh.vijay wrote:Not sure if the ltency is low or high .
The program should tell you, if there is a driver/hardware related problem. If some driver is keeping system busy for too long, it will show 'latency peak'. Absolute maximum is the highest peak (or delay so to say), in your case it's 1177, I don't know it seems a little high, in my system, first gen i7 with win XP, peak latency is 150. Try to run latency checker while playing back problematic project, if clipping occurs with latency peaks, it's a clue, it may some hardware driver.
I had similar problem, and the culprit was motherboard's fast ethernet device, I had to turn if off permanently.

Zombie Queen wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:Not sure if the ltency is low or high .
The program should tell you, if there is a driver/hardware related problem. If some driver is keeping system busy for too long, it will show 'latency peak'. Absolute maximum is the highest peak (or delay so to say), in your case it's 1177, I don't know it seems a little high, in my system, first gen i7 with win XP, peak latency is 150. Try to run latency checker while playing back problematic project, if clipping occurs with latency peaks, it's a clue, it may some hardware driver.
I had similar problem, and the culprit was motherboard's fast ethernet device, I had to turn if off permanently.
That previous image file was taken when the project was running in cubase .
I have taken one more screenshot when cubase is running . Please find the screenshot below :

http://postimg.org/image/5ezfyxygf/

How will I find which hardware is giving me this problem ?

and there is no latency peaks when i run the project . no red bars in DPC latency checker ...

But the absolute maximum varies . Sometimes its 190, sometimes 300 and sometimes mid 500s .

Its different each time when I run the project .

Then I guess you must look elsewhere for answers. Sorry for deceiving you.

Vignesh, the DpcLatency meter says there's nothing inherently wrong.

How are you playing the chopped up vocals? As audio clips, or with a sample player like Kontakt? Is it track 9 we see in the background?

What happens if you render this track back to one single continuous WAV? That would avoid CuBase having to load dozens of seperate files. If this issue doesn't start at the first bar but only later, maybe there's not enough file handles or memory available in the system to have hundreds of small files all opened at the same time. Maybe there's a setting in Cubase to load all audio clips in memory and leave it there, or a setting for the maximum number. I don't use Cubase, so I wouldn't know...
If you don't have a second harddisk, you could also try to move these audio clips to a USB memory stick. Maybe that performs better for this scenario, less waiting time for the head to move from sector to sector. Or try to let Kontakt play them (loaded from memory instead of reading them from disk)

But on the other hand, if there's only a CPU usage meter going in the red, then why care. But you say you have dropouts. :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

According to Steinberg, the Cubase VST Performance ASIO meter actually displays how hard the audio card driver is working and how much capacity is left before you will experience pops and crackles. It you get sudden "spikes" in the performance reading this means that the driver for some reason doesn't get his info in time and a dropout is the logical consequence. There is a lot of talking about this fenomena on the steinberg forum for the moment. As far as people have found solutions they were related to the use of the graphic drivers. Most of them were using the internal intel graphics 3000 or 4000. These internal graphics on the processor seem to stress a normal audio driver loading proces. Some recent NVIDEA drivers seem to do the same according to the submitted post there. Rolling back to an older driver also was a solution for some. So maybe looking on their forum could be a good starting point. In your situation there is a spike on the average performance load. This is less common then when it happens on the realtime performance indicator. So i would first try to boost the audio priority under devices/device setup ? Have you tried that yet ?

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Have a look in Task Manager and check that your CPU is kicking up to its maximum frequency in the 'Performance' tab. If not, or if you see the speed moving up and down, head to 'Power Options' in the Control Panel and select the 'High Performance' power plan.

The default power plan is 'Balanced', which dynamically underclocks the CPU when required to save energy, reduce heat and noise, and prolong the life of the CPU. For some reason, the CPU doesn't realise that it needs to kick up to maximum speed when I'm using Ableton Live + VST plug-ins and audio breaks up in relatively undemanding projects. I have to use the 'High Performance' plan. I've no idea why this happens. Under the 'Balanced' profile, the CPU usually responds appropriately, kicking up to maximum speed when required in all other applications I use.

Try putting your Steinberg dongle on a different USB bus than the Focuswrite.

BertKoor wrote:Vignesh, the DpcLatency meter says there's nothing inherently wrong.

How are you playing the chopped up vocals? As audio clips, or with a sample player like Kontakt? Is it track 9 we see in the background?

What happens if you render this track back to one single continuous WAV? That would avoid CuBase having to load dozens of seperate files. If this issue doesn't start at the first bar but only later, maybe there's not enough file handles or memory available in the system to have hundreds of small files all opened at the same time. Maybe there's a setting in Cubase to load all audio clips in memory and leave it there, or a setting for the maximum number. I don't use Cubase, so I wouldn't know...
If you don't have a second harddisk, you could also try to move these audio clips to a USB memory stick. Maybe that performs better for this scenario, less waiting time for the head to move from sector to sector. Or try to let Kontakt play them (loaded from memory instead of reading them from disk)

But on the other hand, if there's only a CPU usage meter going in the red, then why care. But you say you have dropouts. :shrug:
If I render the whole track as single audio file , there isn't much problem . Except the RAM finds it hard when loading lot of samples .

Do you have laptop or desktop?
I also have almost the same problem, but I have laptop with win 8 . If I load kontakt with studio drummer in cubase 6 elements, the cpu red lights flashing and some noise occurs.

The solution for me was to set the power options to 'high performance' so the cpu run at steady high speed (or set it manually with minimum and maximum in the advanced section). With that I don't have such a problem with Cubase. But I agree that other hosts are better in cpu/asio usage than Cubase.

EnGee wrote:Do you have laptop or desktop?
I also have almost the same problem, but I have laptop with win 8 . If I load kontakt with studio drummer in cubase 6 elements, the cpu red lights flashing and some noise occurs.

The solution for me was to set the power options to 'high performance' so the cpu run at steady high speed (or set it manually with minimum and maximum in the advanced section). With that I don't have such a problem with Cubase. But I agree that other hosts are better in cpu/asio usage than Cubase.
I have a laptop .. Lenovo Ideapad Z710 ..
I will have to try setting up the Power options to high .. What all should I change in power options ?

In my case I made a small change in 'High perfomance' settings:
Change Plan Settings/Change Advanced Power Settings
Then you see many options, I just altered the 'Processor Power Management' and changed:
Minimum - Plugged in : 75% (instead of 100%)
In my case it is enough, but you might use 100%.

I also made a shortcut in my desktop for Power Options, so I use usually the recommended setting, but when I feel I need more power, i switch to the modified high performance mode.

Read also cron's post before mine for additional explanation.

LawrenceF wrote:Cubase will always split at zero crossings if you set it up that way.

Of course, there is always some minor debate about how effective that really is for some stereo material where the zero crossings may not line up across the stereo pair. Given that, small auto-fades may work 'universally' better for splits.

As to ASIO meters, another area of random debate, what the various different CPU meters actually mean from one product to another. They certainly don't seem to all be doing the exact same thing so, generally speaking, I pretty much ignore them if the music is playing correctly, not dropping out or otherwise breaking up, mmv.
Just curious, Cubase doesn't have autocrossfade or a crossfade editor?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Cubase haz all teh things. You can make presets once you've created a crossfade, and make a default for globally or per track. And get rid of a crossfade by a couple different moves.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”