Why do people even buy Samplitude?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Samplitude Music Studio X8 Samplitude Pro X

Here using samp and maschine. I think I have managed to get the "live" loop style and the object editing with samp.

I heard of samp the first time by someone talking about Sequoia I was on live that time and after a couple of try switch to samp for the cpu usage and sound. Tried reason but the flexibility of the managers in samp and also the vst's have me return again to samp.

I can't think Samp as loop based things so far. Of course you can do it but I can't see how I can use it toaccompany me in my workflow.

By the way did you tried anything similiar to Instrument Racks? Creating seperate tracks in a single track for wet and dry benefits me greatly (or will) but I can't see how i can manage it in Samp.

mewthree wrote:I can't think Samp as loop based things so far. Of course you can do it but I can't see how I can use it toaccompany me in my workflow.
once again I'm going to suggest that maybe samp isn't the best host for you...I'm not putting down samp or you just simply stating that it may not be the best fit for you. Do not give in and buy something you dont need because people like myself who are samp users convince you it's got all these features so it's the best...what matters is the best for you.

With that said, for years I used FL studio for any midi work and then rendered and exported all the midi tracks to audio waves and imported them into Adobe Audition because I play live instruments and I preferred the audio workflow in Audition. Unfortunately I didn't like the direction Audition took with AA2 and as AA# was approaching I did not like the direction that was going (and apparently I wasn't alone) and I got great deal on samp.

Of course FL is great for loops, if you can get use to the whole 'playlist' thing working with multiple loops is very easy and tbh getting use to the playlist isn't hard. When it comes to samp I find working with loops (which I use rarely these days) is such a snap because it goes so well with the object based workflow and with like three mouse clicks or three keystroke command any section of a track can not only be an object but be turned into a loop. You dont have to go to another screen or window like the playlist in FL...it's all in the same track and can be done so quickly.

Another feature that speeds up this process is if you want to bounce the midi to audio use the freeze function on samp. Samp's freeze is really a fantastic bounce to track feature...forget about the fact freeze is used to free up cpu, freeze in samp can be on a track, an object, an instrument, it's very fast, and can be undone quickly for editing.

Once again, all that is what works for me (and many others) but the truth is it may not be the best for you and that's okay. All these type edits just may not be the best for your workflow. Another tip is to use the mouse in the right mouse mode...I keep mine in the universal mode most of the time. In universal if you hover over the top half of a track it's a range tool moves the cursor, if you hover above the lower half of the track it's a selection tool to select the track. Using it this way make creating a loop this easy, for the sake of this post say you start with a complete track and you want loops from within it (audio or midi tracks).

1. Select the track by clicking the lower half of the track if the track is not already selected (in universal mouse mode)
2. Draw a range where you want to create a loop which you just hold the left mouse button down as you select your range with the cursor on the top half of the track.
3. Hit "T" on your qwerty (you just made a new object)
4. Hit CTRL+ L (or right click the the new object and select "Build Loop Object") and you just made it a loop.

Keep in mind a couple of things, when you select a track if more than one track is selected right click any of the selected tracks and click 'Ungroup objects" (this happens to me all the time because of how I record, I record up to six tracks for one guitar part and when you do it this way all the tracks are grouped). Also keep in mind that in the middle of tracks there are things that look like keys (because they are locks)...they lock the object in time so you cannot move it forward or back in the track but you can move it staying locked in time between tracks (I believe the alt key will defeat the lock if you want to quickly move the object across a track).

While all that looks complicated it's really very fast, but perhaps not the best thing for 'on the fly' like you would do in live...also keep in mind that samp has another simple little feature that goes overlooked by some I think...the timeline...you can have two displays in the timeline (really two time lines) each set differently (like beats on one and the clock on the other).

One more thing, when making such loops with audio samp's auto crossfade is awesome and of course inside the object editor you can define crossfades even more precisely

:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thank you for you detailed answer. It helped me greatly. Samp is on my list now.

mewthree wrote:I can't think Samp as loop based things so far. Of course you can do it but I can't see how I can use it toaccompany me in my workflow.

By the way did you tried anything similiar to Instrument Racks? Creating seperate tracks in a single track for wet and dry benefits me greatly (or will) but I can't see how i can manage it in Samp.
Loops are simple in Samplitude.

One distinction between Live's cells and Samplitudes' objects - when used as loops - are that Live's cell's playback autonomously (synchronized to project tempo), while Samplitude's are asynchronous.
Synchronous and/or autonomous playback of objects in Samplitude (for easier live performance) has been a feature request of mine for a while now - especially since even Magix Music Maker has loop/object playback!

Other options if you're establishing song arrangement is to use Track Composer (such as comping) and/or use Revolver Tracks.

Instrument racks are easy to build in Samplitude's VSTi manager. All you have to do then point your MIDI object output to whichever instrument you want.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

You can import and sync loops to the project tempo by using the File Browser. I made a video a while back showing the basics plus some info about using the object editor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTguWqbdLjY

Regards
Kraznet
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

The only thing I would say I would crave in Samp is Instrument Racks. I mean editing the track so I can adjust manually the wet and dry signal etc. but it's not that much of a big deal I would say. It's just that from the day 1 I really liked Samplitude I don't know why that is. And considering people spend time a lot in their softwares emotional attachments are important too.

mewthree wrote:The only thing I would say I would crave in Samp is Instrument Racks. I mean editing the track so I can adjust manually the wet and dry signal etc. but it's not that much of a big deal I would say. It's just that from the day 1 I really liked Samplitude I don't know why that is. And considering people spend time a lot in their softwares emotional attachments are important too.
I dont have an emotional attachment...I'm just getting too old to start with something else if I dont have to :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

If you want an instrument rack type feature it's worth checking out Blue Cat's Patchwork plug-in.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qldjida1 ... ahD-RaqsqI
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K

Kraznet lastly could you help me wit retsospective recording? With the exact same settings sometimes it will buffer the notes but sometimes it won't. I just lost a session and I can't even figure out why. I watched your video on youtube.

mewthree wrote:Kraznet lastly could you help me wit retsospective recording? With the exact same settings sometimes it will buffer the notes but sometimes it won't. I just lost a session and I can't even figure out why. I watched your video on youtube.
I haven't used retrospective recording for ages. Are you saying that sometimes it doesn't recall the midi? I can test it if you like. Give me more details.

Yes. It has stopped working for no reason. In the Option Midi menu everything is as it should be. Retrospective recording is active with Note On Chasing checked and other force sync settings. But when i play through my keyboard and use the shortcut for Retrospec Record it's just a blank midi score without any of the notes.

EDIT: I found a kind of solution.

Problem is: When I open Samplitude whether through loading a project or create a new one, after adding an instrument and start playing It wont display my midi notes when I press the Shift + U which is my shortcut for Retrospective Recording.

But if i press the play button for just once and use the Retro Record button it will ask me whether it should create the midi track in the cursor position or playback in the jamming session, regardless of the answer it'll do it succesfully. I don't know why but If you don't press the start button you won't see the log. I can't believe i lost my session because of such a minor thing.

I don't know if it's a setting or a bug but this way it works.

Sounds like a bug. I'll try and reproduce it and if I can I will send in a report.

Thanks
Kraznet

I just tested it in Samplitude Pro X and Sequoia 12 and so far I can't reproduce the problem. It captures the take every time even if it's the first time I play something on a freshly opened project. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Regards
Kraznet

mewthree wrote:Yes. It has stopped working for no reason. In the Option Midi menu everything is as it should be. Retrospective recording is active with Note On Chasing checked and other force sync settings. But when i play through my keyboard and use the shortcut for Retrospec Record it's just a blank midi score without any of the notes.

EDIT: I found a kind of solution.

Problem is: When I open Samplitude whether through loading a project or create a new one, after adding an instrument and start playing It wont display my midi notes when I press the Shift + U which is my shortcut for Retrospective Recording.

But if i press the play button for just once and use the Retro Record button it will ask me whether it should create the midi track in the cursor position or playback in the jamming session, regardless of the answer it'll do it succesfully. I don't know why but If you don't press the start button you won't see the log. I can't believe i lost my session because of such a minor thing.

I don't know if it's a setting or a bug but this way it works.
Unable to reproduce this here either.
You should post on the Samplitude forum (at Samplitude.com)

G

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”