Reason?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

eXode wrote:
Pulsar was free for a month or so when Reason 6.5 was released. After that it's the price that you see. It was not free for Reason 7 users afaik.
Yes, I guessed it must be something like this.
spaceman wrote: It's an RE, so not transferable.
:dog: I forgot about that!

stroker_ace wrote:I was just pointing out that for people who are still on 6.5, this is tantamount to a shakedown.
That's one way to look at it and I get your point, but for how long should they keep maintaining the 6.5 codebase? It was a free update 22 months ago to the previous paid upgrade going back to 2011. I don't blame 6.5 holdouts for wanting PH to update it for SDK2 support, but maybe this is not as easy as we think. For all we know R7.1 underwent significant architectural changes under-the-hood to accommodate their future plans for the rack extension format.

If Synchronous and Audiomatic with all the other R7 features aren't enough to entice 6.5 folks to upgrade, then maybe 7.5/8 will have something more appealing. It's a pretty familiar vendor cycle. For the kind of music I make, Synchronous was a great free plugin that simply reinforced my overall positive feelings about the R7 upgrade. Like you though, I'd like to see more guitar friendly tools as well.

Apparently a new RE effect by Sononics called GSX is on the way shortly. Looks interesting:

I beta tested Reason 7.1. Some nice changes for sure. I do hope that the RE market goes in the right direction. There is a plethora of junk there at the moment. Yes some really good stuff, but you have to look for it.

It would be nice to see things done that are not currently VSTs. I have Predator. When Dune 2 is out I will have Antidote in essence. I have all the Korg stuff. Original products will make the REs pop. Not porting Spire. Use Rewire for VSTs. Use REs for things that we could not do with VSTs.

BTW...side note:

Today I realized again just how much I rely on Reason to be my base. Even if I totally finish a project in Cubase, it probably started as a Reason project. Just sayin.

Jon

thejonsolo wrote:I beta tested Reason 7.1. Some nice changes for sure. I do hope that the RE market goes in the right direction. There is a plethora of junk there at the moment. Yes some really good stuff, but you have to look for it.

It would be nice to see things done that are not currently VSTs. I have Predator. When Dune 2 is out I will have Antidote in essence. I have all the Korg stuff. Original products will make the REs pop. Not porting Spire. Use Rewire for VSTs. Use REs for things that we could not do with VSTs.

BTW...side note:

Today I realized again just how much I rely on Reason to be my base. Even if I totally finish a project in Cubase, it probably started as a Reason project. Just sayin.

Jon
While I'm with you on having dedicated products for the RE, a good synth, like Spire for example, is not different than Antidote, which is a dedicated RE device.

Antidote back panel can easily be reproduced by any ported synth, unlike Amno, which is what I'm agreeing with you here: Designed with Reason in mind.

I can't imagine, yet, a developer such as u-he or Linplug etc, investing into making a RE only device without reaping the same benefits in the VST world. So, which would they design first without invalidating your desire.
Sonic Charge comes to mind to name the exception. Antidote looks to me as a byproduct of the next evolution DUNE and not as an isolated concept born with only RE in mind (that's my take on this one and I could be quite wrong).

Spire is one of my favorite instruments and so Zebra of course. Those two could suffice my Reason set up for years to come allowing me to actually Port myself :hihi: to Reason completely.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Biscotto wrote: I can't imagine, yet, a developer such as u-he or Linplug etc, investing into making a RE only device without reaping the same benefits in the VST world. So, which would they design first without invalidating your desire.
Sonic Charge comes to mind to name the exception. Antidote looks to me as a byproduct of the next evolution DUNE and not as an isolated concept born with only RE in mind (that's my take on this one and I could be quite wrong).
Antidote was released in 2012 (meaning it was also in development for a while before this) and designed specifically for the RE format. I think it would be more accurate to say that DUNE2 will be the next evolution of Antidote. Spire RE is planned.

Tronam wrote:
Biscotto wrote: I can't imagine, yet, a developer such as u-he or Linplug etc, investing into making a RE only device without reaping the same benefits in the VST world. So, which would they design first without invalidating your desire.
Antidote was released in 2012 (meaning it was also in development for a while before this) and designed specifically for the RE format. I think it would be more accurate to say that DUNE2 will be the next evolution of Antidote. Spire RE is planned.
My guess is that the Blueprint for the evolution of Dune to v2 was used for the exclusive RE design of Antidote.
Richard development can be at time quite slow but of exceptional quality.
From 2010 to 2012 sounds OK, for Synapse standards, to work on a next release of Dune 2 that's why I was guessing Antidote being a technology byproduct of it. Just a guess.
I'm aware of Spire due to their confirmation email.
Tronam, do you have any news about the possibility of Imposcar RE?

Nothing specific. All we know is based on Dave Spiers' recent remarks that their new RE is pretty much "ready to drop", but which one is a mystery. Imposcar would make sense considering its popularity, but I'd be happy to see Oddity or Minimonsta too.

Tronam wrote:Nothing specific. All we know is based on Dave Spiers' recent remarks that their new RE is pretty much "ready to drop", but which one is a mystery. Imposcar would make sense considering its popularity, but I'd be happy to see Oddity or Minimonsta too.
Thanks.
Imposcar filters :love:

Regarding Antidote, I can't comment on the technology side of things, but I can say that I was a driving force behind the conceptual design of it (which is why I was credited for the concept, last page of the Antidote manual). I had a synth design that I approached Richard with and he built Antidote taking inspiration from that design. I think that Antidote was born due to a combination of me having the right approach at the right time, combined with Richard having the technology available and courage to put it to use in a RE specific device. :)

eXode wrote:Regarding Antidote, I can't comment on the technology side of things, but I can say that I was a driving force behind the conceptual design of it (which is why I was credited for the concept, last page of the Antidote manual). I had a synth design that I approached Richard with and he built Antidote taking inspiration from that design. I think that Antidote was born due to a combination of me having the right approach at the right time, combined with Richard having the technology available and courage to put it to use in a RE specific device. :)
And it is exceptional! Any other things your working on man? :wink:

outcastrising wrote:And it is exceptional! Any other things your working on man? :wink:
Nothing firm. I've got a handful of technical specifications written and accompanying GUI mockup's but no development atm.

thejonsolo wrote:I beta tested Reason 7.1. Some nice changes for sure. I do hope that the RE market goes in the right direction. There is a plethora of junk there at the moment. Yes some really good stuff, but you have to look for it.

BTW...side note:

Jon
I have to be honest here.. i know it's per capita and there are thousands more VST plugins, but i think there's hardly ANY *junk* in RE land.. it's much easier to find quality stuff.. whereas there really IS alot of terrible stuff in vst/au world. Plus, nothing is as stable as RE.. nothing.

TheoM wrote:

BTW...side note:

Jon
I have to be honest here.. i know it's per capita and there are thousands more VST plugins, but i think there's hardly ANY *junk* in RE land.. it's much easier to find quality stuff.. whereas there really IS alot of terrible stuff in vst/au world. Plus, nothing is as stable as RE.. nothing.
In percentage you are absolutely right.

eXode wrote:Regarding Antidote, I can't comment on the technology side of things, but I can say that I was a driving force behind the conceptual design of it (which is why I was credited for the concept, last page of the Antidote manual). I had a synth design that I approached Richard with and he built Antidote taking inspiration from that design. I think that Antidote was born due to a combination of me having the right approach at the right time, combined with Richard having the technology available and courage to put it to use in a RE specific device. :)
Nice to hear this. Then I was on the wrong path.
Antidote is a great synth (a pleasure to use and listen to) and you should seriously consider to become a full time RE developer. :clap:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”