Maybe you folks could help me find my daw...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just curious ever tried renoise?

AstralExistence wrote:just curious ever tried renoise?
I use renoise every day. I've used it since 1.x. I love it... but it doesn't meet a single one of the needs that I outlined. It's mostly just for fun stuff when I get a some extra time.

I've updated the OP twice... pretty much down to 2 options.

I'm assuming that there may be other people interested in my research/preferences and the discussion surrounding them. I hope that bumping the topic is not terribly problematic.

you will use Logic.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Try Orion maybe?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Try Orion maybe?
:lol:

Orion has its merits
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Orion has its merits
Im not sure if you could have suggested anything less suitable for my needs. The OP is fairly clear in that regard.

I was hoping you were making joke.

HobbyCore wrote:I've updated the OP twice... pretty much down to 2 options.

I'm assuming that there may be other people interested in my research/preferences and the discussion surrounding them. I hope that bumping the topic is not terribly problematic.
No Problem... I appreciate that you took the time to edit the original post and efficiently list your impressions /likes/dislikes

My guess is that you end up with Logic... let us know ;-)

I'm not reading this whole thread and I've just lightly glanced. You are obviously very meticulous and demanding (I don't mean that in a bad way) but I wonder if there is one host that will suit all of your needs :shrug:

Also, I guess I missed, but is it possible that pro tools would work? Or are you in need of vst/au?

hibidy wrote:I'm not reading this whole thread and I've just lightly glanced. You are obviously very meticulous and demanding (I don't mean that in a bad way) but I wonder if there is one host that will suit all of your needs :shrug:

Also, I guess I missed, but is it possible that pro tools would work? Or are you in need of vst/au?
You can just read the first post... he updated it with his various findings...

Samplitude meets your functional requirements. The price for Samplitude ProX is $499, and crossgrades are even cheaper. The ProX suite includes Independence and Am_suite plugs for another $500 (not worth it, imo).

I think you should give Samplitude a close look, it excels at Elastic Audio. I have been demoing the other projects (except Cubase because there is no free demo) and keep coming back to Samp.

It has the best audio editing capabilities of any Daw, and the midi is surpising comprehensive (does the loop recording thing in real time very well.) Not sure how you can dislike the UI so much as the new Sonar UI is kinda similar.

Samplitude stable here, only crashes I've ever had were related to rare incompatible plug ins, and it happens at the point where you insert them, they are not a ticking time bomb.

The latest version of Logic X appears to be much more stable... and I was thinking it was ready to go but the reviews at the app store don't seem to reinforce that? Some people say it's working fine others not. You have to consider user setup and configuration on about 50% of those situations. I myself still have Logic 9.1.2 and Live intro and still on the fence on whether to upgrade Logic or Live. Hmmmm...

:phones:

I'm a PC user . LogicX . Be done with it . It should do everything except make breakfast .

Top-L wrote: Not sure how you can dislike the UI so much as the new Sonar UI is kinda similar.
Unaligned elements, disproportionate line weights, bad text placement and alignment, bad kerning, inconsistent widget grouping, A LOT of unlabeled buttons, modal windows (ugh) and many other things. I could probably write a dissertation on the problems with Samplitude's UI and subsequent UX. That is quite humorous if you knew my employment history :hihi:

Sure, the overall 'look' and 'style' of Sonar and Samplitude are similar. The implementation of that style is far more refined in Sonar. I think you probably pointed out one of the main reasons for this. Sonar's UI is new. Samplitude's UI is a decoupage of years of UI styling, windows control styles, api changes and feature 'tack-ons'.

Along with the UI, the Samplitude manual is awful. It is riddled with bad grammar, misinformation, outdated images and missing documentation for features. I only managed to demo Samplitude for a relatively short time and an a disproportionate amount of that time was attempting to corroborate the manual's information with the software's implementation.

I want to be clear that UI 'look' alone would not deter me from using a DAW with the functionality I require. If tracktion wasn't missing features that are critical to me, I would use it in an instant despite having what I feel is the worst UI of all the options. I did not forgo Samplitude solely because of the UI. It was an observation among other more serious issues.

I will admit that a pleasant UI does make me tolerate general frustrations a lot better. A good UI is usually strongly correlated with good UX as well.
Top-L wrote: Samplitude stable here, only crashes I've ever had were related to rare incompatible plug ins, and it happens at the point where you insert them, they are not a ticking time bomb.
I used a clean installation of windows 8.1 for testing Samplitude. No 3rd party plugins. I did the same for Sonar x3. My computer only supports windows 8.1.

I experienced crashes with adjusting object boundaries, inserting included plugins, fade editing, importing files, cycling workspaces and a few that occurred when I wasn't paying enough attention to know what the last thing I did was.

It would have been nice to research what may have been causing these issues, but the Samplitude forums are effectively closed off to people who already own the software. The newcomer forum has a dearth of information and is inactive. Edit: I made a mistake here. This is inaccurate information.

---

All these things aside, Sonar or Samplitude would have had to be absolutely amazing for me to be willing to work in Windows. I thought it was worth a try at the very least.
Last edited by HobbyCore on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”