Ableton Live price increase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I said this 16 months ago and I say it again. Ableton is pricing away their core and new customers with the increased prices rather than providing cheap upgrades like most other DAW companies.

After emailing Ableton about this, they were very kind and gave me an 20% discount coupon. Since I qualify for the educational discount, I can use the both discounts. Still considering Studiomonitorer One though, will compare them both for real in a few weeks time. Or Maybe I will end up with both :P

DHR53 wrote:Interesting... I bid for a Live 9 standard on ebay a few weeks ago. When I started bidding it was at 230. I thought I had won the auction for 300., 15 minutes before the auction was over. It sold for 430. I was like WHAT?!?

It's crazy... A full version of Suite went for $350. here in the marketplace a month ago!

:roll:

Happens all the time on ebay. Total scam. Use the marketplace here, you're odds are better.

And be a bit careful with eBay for software. I remember there was a guy here that bought it at a great price off eBay at the end of 2012, but when registering it, it turned out to be an invalid license.

Yeah, I don't understand why the marketplace is not a#1. We're a good lot here. Every once in a while there is a fuckup, but it's AMAZING how many smooth transactions there are. Well played kvr, well played!

Quick question: How much does Ableton Live 9 Standard and Studio One 2 Professional usually go for in the marketplace?

I've seen live under 200 and studio one WAY under that. The thing is for those in the know is that studio one has quite a few 50% off sales. I think they just had one.

BTW, @studio one, many people get the standard version (producer) cheapish and then wait until there is a sale to get the upgrade to pro. Pro is nice, but it's not necessary.

^This

I took the long way around, but you can get artist for usually ~20$. From there it was a 50% off upgrade to producer, so 50$, then another 50% off upgrade to get to pro, so 100. So just waiting for sales you can nab pro for 170$

ksandvik wrote:I said this 16 months ago and I say it again. Ableton is pricing away their core and new customers with the increased prices rather than providing cheap upgrades like most other DAW companies.
They do offer cheap upgrades:

http://www.jrrshop.com/ableton?dir=asc&order=price

FWIW, most people probably don't need more than Intro.

it's like Reason... only cares about fanboys...

You know I really thought I could get by with Intro... but a lot of the really good 3rd party stuff, drum racks and modules require the 5 band eq and a number of other plugins that are not included in Intro. So while it may appear that you can do with a limited set of instruments... when you try and open stuff it gives you an error "this is not included with this version of Live... please see the website for a comparison of Live features." I never could figure out exactly what was missing, (eq, the glue ???) but it was a really "not user friendly" way to push one to upgrade. i.e. the rack "could" play without the missing plugins possibly???

I purchased a number of 3rd party sounds and modules that I didn't find out were broken until I after I purchased. They basically said: Uh, Upgrade Dude! it kind of annoyed the hell out of me. Now I might compare that to the support I've received from Presonus since I purchased Studio One 2. Geez, they've contacted me like 4 times to answer questions!

...ymmv! 8)

DHR53 wrote:Now I might compare that to the support I've received from Presonus since I purchased Studio One 2. Geez, they've contacted me like 4 times to answer questions!
Studio One support is pretty stellar. These days, I'm usually writing in Maschine and mixing in Studio One. It's working out pretty well.

kuzami wrote:After emailing Ableton about this, they were very kind and gave me an 20% discount coupon. Since I qualify for the educational discount, I can use the both discounts. Still considering Studiomonitorer One though, will compare them both for real in a few weeks time. Or Maybe I will end up with both :P
I like Ableton's Service the best. They are kind and professional in their responses and of course fast.

Kuzami, compare their educational discount with the market place here. Sometimes you get a great deal with Live 9 Suite or Standard here. IMO go for it. It is a great DAW.

Yes, me also, I think they are little bit expensive, but not that much if you compare what you get in Suite especially. I have the (almost Suite version - Standard 9 upgraded from Suite 8 ) and I really like a lot the quality of devices and workflow. I'm currently reading the manual and experimenting with the synths from AAS. They are IMO excellent synths with very enjoyable workflow/design. Some might find it boring, but they are really a joy to program.

Nothing is perfect but I'm tired of looking at the negative side of the products. I'm glad that no one bought it when I tried to sell it (I already regret selling Studio One!) But to be honest, "Live" is more important for me than any other host - together with Cubase Elements 7 maybe :)

I'm glad these are my riker and data :hihi: They both have issues like all hosts, but I've gotten my moneys worth out of them. Honorable mention for reaper :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”