What do you hate about Studio One? What is missing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

really annoys the hell out of me:
1. in the mastering page (pro), exporting a digital version ignores the track markers of the cd version, and just exports each track as a full file instead. so, any crossfading between tracks is lost. the workaround is to drag both exported tracks into another song, do the crossfade/cut there, and then put those files into the mastering project.

a lesser degree of annoyance:
1. arrangement/mixer track order mirroring. while i understand why they're not 1:1, things can really get squirrelly, particularly when multitimbrals and track folders become involved. Some other daws with similar design (where the audio channels are separate from midi) don't seem to have trouble with this.

stuff i'd love to see:
1. clip automation. take the clip gain and fade manipulation, and kick it up a notch. allow full-on volume curve drawing/automation on the clip. this is great for taming occasional spurious peaks prior to pre-fader inserts, like compressors, and usually faster than automating a trim plug (which you'd have to insert...)

2. eucon support.

3. the ability to change channels on a midi track, ideally per note (useful for some instruments' key switching, but certainly not a deal killer). having 4 or 5 separate articulation tracks for single instruments can get a bit messy, even with folders...

4. tempo curves (again, not a deal killer for most uses, but handy sometimes).

overall, though, i rather like it.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

I really love the track transform though, must be the best implementation of bouncing around.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I hate how it crashes when I try to use the tempo track to make tempo changes in songs with 30tracks or greater. Then it will crash when trying to open the song again, making the song unusable!

Just in case it helps re: "unusable" ... (probably not) ... song files are zip packages and unless the zip itself is corrupted, can be unzipped and manually edited and repackaged if you know how.

Beside that, you can dig into a song archive in the browser and pull certain things out directly.

Hope that helps a little.

Maybe this has changed now, but I did not like the limitations on Quantising - that all you had were preset values.

woggle wrote:Maybe this has changed now, but I did not like the limitations on Quantising - that all you had were preset values.
Necessary Preface for Drama Reduction: My participation in this thread is only as an experienced user helping when or if I can, not to dismiss anyone's complaints. We all have complaints about it.

Having said that, the quantize toolbar (0 to 100% on everything for quantize) has been there since 1.x i think so I must be completely misunderstanding the above.

Thanks Woggle.

thanks LawrenceF - sorry to be unclear - Studio One used to just have quantising to things like 3:2 or 1:4 and so on rather than arbitrary relations eg 5:7. I seem to recall it couldn't do common relations like 5:3 even.

Ah, ok.

Thanks Woggle.

Alright guys, seems like Studio One and me are getting along quite nicely. Now I wonder when it's the best time to purchase it considering V3 is around the corner and the updates are not too cheap. I've seen the Pro version getting sold for 100 to 125 bucks. Seems like the upgrades from V1 to V2 are more expensive. Wait for V3? Buy a V2 for cheap and upgrade while Presonus is offering a sale?

The only missing thing really is a fine score editor. For me, this is the only thing missing in Studio One, and if they implement a score editor in the same level of Notion, I would switch tomorrow ;)

I don't hate anything in Studio One but there are these cpu spikes (just like in Cubase) especially with NI products like Reaktor and Kontakt. I hope they will fix it soon. It is a lovely DAW with a nice design, I miss it :(

I hate the fact that it sells itself on having a great user interface, when all it has is a great-LOOKING user interface.
Other than that, the workflow isn't really any better than any other DAW I could name.

One thing that bothers me is that loaded plugins report latency - whether bypassed or not.

I often have a load of compressors to try out what sound better - and that adds up with latency.

So my project templates had everything loaded that might be used(a couple of variations) - since track templates don't exist.

So you cannot have tracks prepared with several plugins, and bypass some and use some - they all are accounted for in pdc reported.

Major flaw according to me.

Or did I miss a way to disable plugins while loaded?

In Reaper, anything unchecked is simply not there. Major advantage.
And there are track templates as well.

So two things:
#1. ability to deactivate/exclude loaded plugin - even when loaded
#2. track templates

Then I might look at S1 v3.

I haven't found a way to map a keyboard shortcut to go to next/previous preset on vsts. You can do it if you are moving inside the 'internal' presets (ie you saved the preset in this Studio one format and you can see it on the nav panel). But not for normal banks that come with synths. This has been a feature request forever, but one think this team kept from their cubase years is 'never listen to a customer'. It won't happen.

lfm wrote:One thing that bothers me is that loaded plugins report latency - whether bypassed or not.

I often have a load of compressors to try out what sound better - and that adds up with latency.

Major flaw according to me.

Or did I miss a way to disable plugins while loaded?
S1-Activate-Bypass.png
S1 (and Cubase) support both "Bypass" and "Activate". When a plugin is de-activated, (i.e. not running/disabled) that plugin will not introduce any latency. A bypassed plugin should still report latency because it is still active and Bypass on/off is an automatable parameter, which means one must be able to switch bypass on/off without introducing any glitches.

[quote="LawrenceF"]Just in case it helps re: "unusable" ... (probably not) ... song files are zip packages and unless the zip itself is corrupted, can be unzipped and manually edited and repackaged if you know how.

Beside that, you can dig into a song archive in the browser and pull certain things out directly.

Hope that helps a little.[/quote]
Ahh, that's good to know, thanks. Can you point me in the direction of how to do this? A link perhaps? I have some midi tracks which I need to get back from one of the songs which won't load.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”