Cantabile 3 is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cantabile

Last edited by Numanoid on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

n/m it's old hat now
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't like the new pricing model, moving to subscription. $99 to upgrade from v2, and that only gives a year of updates :(
Cantabile's pricing model is changing a little.

Please note: this doesn't mean Cantabile will stop working if your subscription expires. It will continue to run, you'll just miss out on any new features.

As a licensed v2 user, when you purchase an update subscription Cantabile 3 will be included.

Cantabile Performer - $99
Cantabile Solo - $39

That'll get you a licensed copy of Cantabile 3 and one year worth of updates.

http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/v3/?__ ... araut5dtt2

Gee, I'm still using Cantabile 1.0! I don't need it for or try to use it for anything live; I've found as I've slowly moved in that direction that there are so many other, more modern solutions for that.

Cantabile 1.0 is (or I guess WAS) originally the freeware, trial version of their line. Users liked it so much that many of us weren't 'upgrading' to v2.0. So they pulled it off their site and tried to remove it from the internet. If you find 1.0 it states plainly that it is freeware. On the last page of its Settings you have to be very careful not to check the box that will cause Cantabile 1.0 to go online invisibly in the background. If it does, it installs some version of v2, wipes out any trace of v1.0 and suddenly you will have some rather limited demo version of something you may not want to buy.

I did try newer versions of Cantabile and I wasn't very happy with anything they had. I had issues with compatibility and perhaps a bug or too, IIRC, at that time. You see, I was only looking for a stable mini host at a time when most were scarce, difficult or near impossible to use. Cantabile 1.0 was then and still is now about as stable as ImageLine's fairly recent MiniHost. Both are limited in their own ways, but I still use them. Cantabile 1.0 is usually my go-to for first lookover, testing and registering a new plugin. If it will show up and function in Cantabile, it's a very good first sign.

Why all this about Cantabile 1.0 (someone whines)? Well, for background and history if nothing more. And v1.0 is still out there, floating around the internet if you look hard enough. It's a solid little host and still free to use, as long as you don't let the website delete and replace it on you! I also wanted to mention it because I seldom see anything mentioned about any Cantabile items anymore, certainly not about 1.0 in years, and I know how some users are about learning all about some company or software they like and use a lot. Besides, one or two paragraph's space isn't too much of a crime to fill up for product history, is it?

As for the new offer, I don't do any company's new subscription models or offers, no matter the terms, and never will.

I use Cantabile 2 Performer almost every day and I absolutely love it. Fast, stable, easy to use, it's got all I need and a lot more.
But the v3 GUI looks cheap and the subscription price is insane.
Pass.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

@MarlaPodolski:

Only one thing: Cantabile 1 will not load some of the newer plugins. :(

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

Still no Mac version

I've been sent a license but I can't use it - I hope they don't start my year till I get an actual working version

Fantastic tool - I use Cantabile 3 every day to come up with musical ideas and sound combinations, and can use the recordings made by Cantabile directly in my DAWs later. (It records multi-channel audio and MIDI simultaneously, and can be set to start recording automatically when you begin playing.)

The routing and MIDI binding capabilities are very impressive - control anything with any controllers you have available! Even will change MIDI controller numbers on-the-fly among its many other transformations! (Foot Pedal CTRL#4 to ModWheel CTRL#1 for instance.)

Also fantastic for live setups, of course - I will use it for my live performances over YouTube Live Streaming from now on. It really expands my palette of possibilities and allows very fast change-overs between different setups I've prepared, and allows spontaneous changes as well.

Best thing to happen to my studio and creativity in a long time.

As Cantabile's developer, I just wanted to address some points that have been raised.

Firstly, in regards to the subscription - this is not a subscription to use the software. The subscription is for updates. If you buy Cantabile today and never renew the subscription it will continue to run forever (well for at least as long as you have an operating system that will run it) - you'll just miss out on anything new after the first year.

As for what you might expect in a years worth of updates, you can check the release notes but for Cantabile 3 its averaging about 100 builds per year - that's a mix of bug fixes, minor improvements and major new features.

Regarding no Mac version - I know, I know. It's just that I've been promising v3 for Windows for so long that I had to focus on it first. OS X version is coming and much of the ground work has been done (about 90% of the code base is cross platform already). It's just that last 10% which will be the focus once things settle down now that v3 has launched.
MarlaPodolski wrote: Cantabile 1.0 is (or I guess WAS) originally the freeware, trial version of their line. Users liked it so much that many of us weren't 'upgrading' to v2.0. So they pulled it off their site and tried to remove it from the internet.
I removed it from the site simply because v2 replaced it and I don't think anyone ever asked for it.
MarlaPodolski wrote: If you find 1.0 it states plainly that it is freeware.
Yes it is. Later versions were paid but there was always a free Lite edition. Freeware however doesn't imply a responsibility to maintain download links for all eternity.
MarlaPodolski wrote: On the last page of its Settings you have to be very careful not to check the box that will cause Cantabile 1.0 to go online invisibly in the background. If it does, it installs some version of v2, wipes out any trace of v1.0 and suddenly you will have some rather limited demo version of something you may not want to buy.
That's simply not true. In fact Cantabile 1.x, 2.0 and 3.0 can all be installed side by side and don't interfere with each other in any way.

The only thing it ever did invisibly in the background was to ping for an update check. I can't remember off-hand which version this was introduced (it was very early) but some users complained and it was quickly replaced with an explicit option and on first run you were prompted whether you wanted to turn it on or not.

Again this was nothing deliberately deceptive - just something I hadn't considered when it was first put in. The only motivation for this was to get people off older builds with bugs that had already been fixed.
MarlaPodolski wrote: Why all this about Cantabile 1.0 (someone whines)? Well, for background and history if nothing more. And v1.0 is still out there, floating around the internet if you look hard enough.
You don't need to look hard - I've just put up download links for v1.0, v1.1 and v1.2 on the downloads page here: http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/download

Also, I've removed the licensing checks from what was the "Full" edition of 1.2 so anyone can run it now without a license. It's x86 only and don't expect any support (it's well and truly deprecated), but it's there if you want it.

If you're interested in Cantabile's history, see here: http://community.cantabilesoftware.com/ ... history/97

Finally, if you have any questions about any of this you can email me anytime - I'm very open about all this and happy to discuss it. http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/contact

Brad

Hi there,

just to add some aspects to the statements Terry already made: I was a longtime user of cantabile 2 and always found it very stable and flexible.

When Brad startet development of C3 he did a complete overhoul of the cantabile core (which took month but is worth any minute spent on it as one will see who is willing to dig deeper into c3).

The following development process was extremly transparent and communicative (supported by trello). I never before had the possibility to be as much a part of the development process as it was in this case and I was able to leave my personal taste in some of the modules created (and I think this is true for most of the other supporters beeing involved).

Seeing the whole thing growing piece by piece during the last months was great fun and the result is much bigger than anyone could imagine when things got started.

If anything C3's problem could be it is a monster with hundreds of possibilities and you have to do some investment in terms of time to get all the aspects cantabile 3 offers. But this pays back as soon as you are familiar with it.

Every user of C3 will tell a different story of what is important for him. So please see my description of highlights as a personal taste:

First off: I'm definitely not a minimalist. I like to to drive things until I reach technical boarders and getting even the last 5% of sound quality out of the box.

Here cantabile 3 is the only PC based platform for me that is able to handle lots of sample based plugs with tons of content and availability beond a second. All in all there are 30-40 partly heavy loaded plugs like omni, kontakt, halion, diva, serum,... in one show.

I always used forte (ver. 4 atm) in parallel and it is also able to do similar things but to be serious: C3 now is 2 steps ahead here as there are so many things in the background (f.e. rack concept, super-flexible MIDI and audio-routing opportunities, integrated synced players for MIDI and audio, possibility to preload racks incl. content,.......).

Concerning update fees: I understand that it may seem much money at first glance. But as Brad already mentioned: there is no need to pay if you don't want to. I'm in the comfortable position of having been in the row of beta testers. So I learned what Brad means when he talks of customer care and responsiveness. If he keeps things running like this (and I'm convincrd he will) the annual fee is a nobrainer for me.

So my hint: get the demo version and give yourself some time to get familiar with C3.

My 2 cent, regards, humphrey

Btw: of course I was payed for what I was writing above! I got the update c2 - c3 for the regular upgrade price and a terrific development experience in 2015 - thanks a lot ;-)
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Cantabile gets a major update: https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/download/

The big news for Cantabile is the new binding framework which includes a whole raft of improvements to MIDI bindings.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/blog/ ... mpaign=nl6

There's also been a lot of smaller features and improvements:

-Set List editing has been improved with a better UI for adding songs to set list, ability to import songs from one set list into another and support for drag+dropping songs from Windows Explorer to the Set List

-A new Replace Plugin command lets you replace one plugin instance with another while keeping all associated routes and bindings

-A new in-slot MIDI filter button that lights up when MIDI filters defined

-A new tap tempo button on main toolbar (which also flashes to the current tempo), options to disable tempo flash indicators and the ability flash the tempo even when the transport isn't playing

-The increment/decrement commands can now be used to quickly adjust the transpose setting of MIDI routes

-A new command to toggle visibility all popups (F4) and another to close all popups (Shift+F4)

-New bindings to open/close plugin editor, load a rack state by program number, support for note off and MIDI Clock Start/Continue/Stop events

-The learn mode for bindings has been improved and now supports learning from rack and plugin ports, non-MIDI sources and the learn window is now modeless so you can learn from the on-screen keyboard.

-The execution order of bindings is now well defined and you can now overriding global bindings on a per-song basis. See this blog post.

-A new Delete and Keep Connections command (Shift+Delete) keeps associated routes and bindings when deleting an object. Also source routes that target different objects in different states are no longer automatically deleted.

-There are new options to control set list and state list wrapping (see Options -> Keyboard & Controls -> Navigation)

-Ability to flush note/effect tails when a plugin is suspended for clean sounds when resumed

-Disabled and suspended items are now greyed out to better highlight active items

-Rack ports now support alias names so ports can be renamed without breaking existing songs

-A new short cut key (Ctrl+Shift+R) for quick access to the MIDI route settings window

-The settings folder can now be relocated for backup and synchronization purposes

-Media players can now automatically send MIDI reset events at the start of the file

-Lots of other minor improvements and bug fixes.

bradr wrote: I've just put up download links for v1.0, v1.1 and v1.2 on the downloads page here: http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/download

Also, I've removed the licensing checks from what was the "Full" edition of 1.2 so anyone can run it now without a license. It's x86 only and don't expect any support (it's well and truly deprecated), but it's there if you want it.
Brad
Very generous of you!!! I had great fun using the 1.2 lite version in linux,
so I'll try the full version. At the time, Cantabile, Reaper, and
windows EnergyXT were the choices to run windows vsti/fx in
linux wine, each offering various features. Great to see that
you're still perfecting the product :party:

And thanks for giving out the Glitch-Free
e-book to help with computer setup!
Time to sharpen my dentures :hihi:

Update released for Cantabile.

One of the main improvements is faster plugin scanning (up to 50% improvement), which is of course very handy if you got many VST plugs

Cantabile 3 gets a new update with more features added

https://blog.cantabilesoftware.com/solo ... .dtzno51dz

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”