So... Tracktion.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

Passing Bye wrote:Seriously, that white noise is really big distracktion :shrug:
I was a HUGE fan of T1/2, but with the disaster of T3+, I jumped ship.

I tried T5 and after finding an annoying editing bug, crashing it once and then being forced to deal with that awful white noise... yeah, never again.

That noise just breaks your concentration, your groove, your flow... and for a software that's main marketing gimmick is how it 'doesn't get in the way', the demo is a massive failure.

edit: the noise also isn't relative to the audio levels, so if you're working with very soft sounds and have your monitoring compensated... well.. enjoy blowing your hearing for the day.

Right, that's probably the worst noise burst protection in software and I taught Bazzism/Spire was annoying, this brought it on another level :nutter:

I think with with the release of Tracktion 5 it became much more intriguing to me. Its definitely one of those programs that has its own unique way of doing things and clearly doesn't aim to be something else. The no-mixer idea i feel can initially be off-putting to some. I have, however, realized it actually speeds things up for me workflow wise after using it for a bit. For certain its a DAW that will have a small learning curve for most of us used to the traditional way of getting around music software. But I have found with some time, it becomes a nice change of pace and you might even find yourself getting things done a hair quicker than before. I'm keeping a good eye on Tracktion though as I really like some of its unique ideas on the way a DAW's workflow should feel
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

There has been no stable releases. Ever. T4 came closest. That should be their no. 1 priority, but they let the community beta-test for them while telling them 'hey, it's a new version!'.

I'm a Cubase user. Very satisfied with C8.
I wasn't with C6 and C7. I kept using 5.5.
I was in look out for another sequencer. Simple and straightforward.
I looked at Bigwig, but as with live, the no inclusion of some sort of stacked recording or comping was a serious deal breaker.
So I liked a lot more Tradition, I ended buying a license for 5.
I'm not in a hurry to update for 6. I don't use it much, because I'm to used to the contextual menu of Cubaxe a lot, namely the tool box.
I'm glad I bought Tradition. My son is using it, alongside another gem I don't care to use, FLS he's doing fine music with this combo.

huhu_huhu wrote: So I liked a lot more Tradition, I ended buying a license for 5.
I'm not in a hurry to update for 6. I don't use it much, because I'm to used to the contextual menu of Cubaxe a lot, namely the tool box.
I'm glad I bought Tradition.
Gotta love autocorrect ;)

aMUSEd wrote:
huhu_huhu wrote: So I liked a lot more Tradition, I ended buying a license for 5.
Yep I like Tradition too :hihi:

I'm sorry. As if the bad spelling wasn't enough.
TRACKTION.

:dog:
huhu_huhu wrote:I'm sorry. As if the bad spelling wasn't enough.
TRACKTION.
:hihi: its all good fun .

fedexnman wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Yep I like Tradition too :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw

Will always have a soft spot for tracktion but even with V6, it is still far behind in many areas. Ok, firstly, i think it's THE BEST daw uner $100, i really do. But i will list why i don't take it as a serious competitor as such to Logic, Cubase, PT, etc. Now please correct me if I am wrong.

- As of V5, dynamic compensation isn't supported. This is the only host with supposed pdc that doesn't do this. What i mean is, say you enable or disable a component of ozone, the latency changes. Or change the fab filter EQ to linear phase, ditto. Tracktion will not correct the pdc no matter if you start stop the transport 1000 times. The only way to do it is to close and save the project, and then reload it, and the new correct latency is displayed in the tracktion fx info box. Unfortunately because i work with many fx with varying latency, it's important for me to be able to do this on the fly to try out different modes vs others, on the fly, so i can hear changes in realtime against the rest of the project.

- No in line time stretch with flex time type thing, has V6 added proper audio quantise?

- No audio preview in time to project tempo, even with apple loops or acid wavs or rex. Very irritating.

- Not a big deal to some, but even if all the above was fixed, i just can't get past the undo not having descriptions at the very least, let alone an undo history. I have tried to explain this before, but without knowing exactly what tracktion can and can't undo, i could hit command-z and think i am undoing something and causing havoc somewhere else in the project cause 1) i wasn't able to actually undo that thing or 2) i was able to undo something i didn't think i could and therefore didn't undo what I wanted to undo. I just detest the undo system and afaik it is the world's only major daw not to have undo descriptions.

I am glad to finally see confidence (ie live waveform) audio recording in V6 and some other stuff, and the automation in tracktion, the way it is SO easy to do bezier curves, is honestly delightful!

I really miss the track latency display btw and having to go into the FX info box to see FX delay.

Oh, the other thing is, i have given up trying to scan my AU's, it just takes forever. After 2 hrs i am only up to fab filter. LOL. And the ridiculous thing is that if it can't get past one it halts indefinitely so you can't just leave it overnight and go to bed. Things like this are just not on. It should fail if so and continue to next audiounit.

For me, multitrack audio quantise with in line flex time support, undo history, corrected variable latency pdc, realtime tempo preview and a few other bits and bobs (don't want to make it too much more of an already marathon post) would seal the deal. It's great software but misses out in the areas i need it not to.

Of course like V5 i will still upgrade to 6 to support development as i honestly want to do anything i can to help this little company thrive, but i wont be using it for my main projects at this stage.

Cheers!

PS anything i might find essential might mean nothing to you, so please take my "complaints" as just a personal opinion :)

TheoM wrote:Ok, firstly, i think it's THE BEST daw uner $100, i really do. But i will list why i don't take it as a serious competitor as such to Logic, Cubase, PT, etc. Now please correct me if I am wrong.
If comparing to top line models - is one thing.

But mean that Cubase Elements 7, Mixcraft 7 and Sonar Artist are way more complete daws - and all below $100.

Reaper is definitely unbeatable if we are talking cheap, I can't justify many stuff around compared to him, real game changer, I know, it's highly personal, but even on paper it offers a lot, many can't deny that, I always had a thing against him and than I dropped from cloud one day and realized what awesome thing it is actually :tu:

LawrenceF wrote:Is Tracktion the Rodney Dangerfield of KVR? :hihi: On most daws major version releases there are often 5-10+ page threads. I assume I missed that one.
Maybe the new faithfull don't find the need to evangelise as much as the old Tracktion groupies.

It's possible to audition audio files in sync with the project on Version 5. I guess it's possible on 6 also.
About the rest of the issues, I think some kind of revamping on audio handling was implemmentd, I dont know if it,s akin to groove quainize correction.

Y

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”