Cubase Pro 8.0.10 maintenance update now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Resolves my issue with FXpansion Etch wherein I was not able to click on any of the drop down menus.

However Cubase still doesn't close when I click the red 'X' in the top corner -- it only closes the open project.

And, more so, the whole Cubase application never fully minimizes to the Windows taskbar -- it keeps the Cubase menu bar and such visible below the windows Taskbar. That is a bug.

It's maybe (the 47 days) just the case that they froze the build for testing before releasing it.
Yes, I get freezing the build....but 47 days? Seriously? 47? Two weeks should have been enough time for evaluation to see if it broke anything new.
But those bugs weren't effecting everyone, so wouldn't be classed as high enough priority to put out a hotfix for.
The click problem affected every single user that relies on something to count them in. It may not be everyone, but I'd venture 80% of the userbase conservatively needed that function ASAP. That's enough to justify a hotfix.

I'm thrilled that 8.0.10 is out, as it solved a rather large number of documented crashing issues. I'm commenting on the fact that they sat on the release candidate too long.
On a number of Macs

Yeah, it's impossible to know why if they don't say why. That was just one of a few different possible reasons.

Another reason might be they were looking to add other stuff to it and maybe it was just taking too long so somebody eventually said ... "Just release the last build, we'll get to the other stuff later."

My thought, not being a Steiny customer anymore, is that there's most likely a logical reason for it. I doubt they just intentionally sat on it for 47 days and just enjoyed daily griping on the forums about whatever bugs it was built to fix.

In other words, in business matters like that, just because we don't know the reason doesn't mean there actually wasn't a good reason, or that the worst case scenario, them simply not caring, is the reason.

Weasel-Boy wrote: The click problem affected every single user that relies on something to count them in. It may not be everyone, but I'd venture 80% of the userbase conservatively needed that function ASAP. That's enough to justify a hotfix.
It didn't affect me.

As far I as had read it was just an occasional issue for some people. I'd say your 80% estimation is far too high, otherwise we'd have heard much more about it, as it's a pretty crucial function.

barryfell wrote:
Weasel-Boy wrote: The click problem affected every single user that relies on something to count them in. It may not be everyone, but I'd venture 80% of the userbase conservatively needed that function ASAP. That's enough to justify a hotfix.
It didn't affect me.

As far I as had read it was just an occasional issue for some people. I'd say your 80% estimation is far too high, otherwise we'd have heard much more about it, as it's a pretty crucial function.
There were a lot of posts at the Steinberg forum about it, and it happened A LOT when people were experiencing it. I was one of them. It seemed to manifest itself when starting at a measure that wasn't an exact beat. Right now, it's mostly fixed but the pre-count, at least, sometimes still misses the first beat.

xphen0m wrote:
barryfell wrote:
It didn't affect me.

There were a lot of posts at the Steinberg forum about it, and it happened A LOT when people were experiencing it. I was one of them. It seemed to manifest itself when starting at a measure that wasn't an exact beat. Right now, it's mostly fixed but the pre-count, at least, sometimes still misses the first beat.
I'm on the Steinberg form many times a day and I can't see i'd notice that many posts about it. If it had been affecting most people I would have expected to see a lot more posts about it.

The click bug and inability to run BFD3 both affected me, and both seem to be working now. Thanks!

Is anyone else having trouble with Applied Acoustics Systems String Studio 1 and 2, Strum Acoustic, and Strum Electric? All four of these x64 vsts freeze immediately when opened within Cubase 8.010
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

VitaminD wrote: However Cubase still doesn't close when I click the red 'X' in the top corner -- it only closes the open project.
That's how it works, these are two separate functions.

jancivil wrote:
VitaminD wrote: However Cubase still doesn't close when I click the red 'X' in the top corner -- it only closes the open project.
But they are built in to the same button in Cubase 8. Before version 8, there was a sub X button underneath the application X. Right now, C8 is not using the traditional Windows method of window handling and has overloaded that application button where there should be a series of buttons for the project window. This is not a favorable situation imo.

But even so, I can deal with it if they would resolve the other windowing issue I described -- that one is problematic.

VitaminD wrote:
jancivil wrote:
But they are built in to the same button in Cubase 8. Before version 8, there was a sub X button underneath the application X. Right now, C8 is not using the traditional Windows method of window handling and has overloaded that application button where there should be a series of buttons for the project window. This is not a favorable situation imo.
They should not be the same button, that's insane. My recollection of Windows is, Control-W closed the window (for almost anything). I don't remember what _quit_ Cubase. On the Mac side, command-Q quits almost every application there is. Closing things is the red button, I guess red X on windows. I close projects but not Cubase itself very frequently and I don't want to have to window-manage just to do so. But forgive my ignorance of Cubase 8. I think the way things are I would not move past 6.5.

Cubase 8 is really fantastic IMO - and I've been a pretty big hater in the past, but for the first time, I am more comfortable and faster in Cubase than in Pro Tools and Logic. Big kudos to Steinberg for continuing to improve the workflow (and actually being involved with the community, love that you can see the list of known bugs / workarounds / and the knowledge they are confirmed to be fixed in the next point release).

jancivil wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
jancivil wrote:
They should not be the same button, that's insane. My recollection of Windows is, Control-W closed the window (for almost anything). I don't remember what _quit_ Cubase. On the Mac side, command-Q quits almost every application there is. Closing things is the red button, I guess red X on windows. I close projects but not Cubase itself very frequently and I don't want to have to window-manage just to do so. But forgive my ignorance of Cubase 8. I think the way things are I would not move past 6.5.
Yes, it is a bit of a mess in it's current form on Windows side. It was really nice in 7.5 but it changed for 8. Hopefully they fix it for 8.5 but even so why repair what was not broken? :shrug:

Gonga wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble with Applied Acoustics Systems String Studio 1 and 2, Strum Acoustic, and Strum Electric? All four of these x64 vsts freeze immediately when opened within Cubase 8.010
I don't own those, but the 64 bit demo of CrusherX immediately locks up cubase without even beginning to open it's GUI when added as an insert. This requires ending Cubase 8.1 in Task Manager (Win 7, 64 bit). <edit: actually, if I recall correctly, Cubase can't be killed in Task Manager in this case, hence the mandatory reboot. It won't recognize an audio interface reset, so the reboot would be required on each freeze anyway. You should see my collection of crash dumps. Long as my arm.>, and doing a full reboot, followed by bringing my interface and midi controller back online. I have no idea on who's side the problem lies, or if it's merely a quirk with my system configuration. CrusherX 64 demo does load and function properly in Reaper 64. The problem being that I use Cubase, not Reaper, cool as Reaper is.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

jancivil wrote:They should not be the same button, that's insane. My recollection of Windows is, Control-W closed the window (for almost anything). I don't remember what _quit_ Cubase. On the Mac side, command-Q quits almost every application there is.
CTRL+W - Close selected Window
CTRL+Q - Close Cubase

I think the same should be the case with the new "task bar" system in Cubase 8. At least this was the case with C8.0 I used for like 10 minutes a couple of weeks ago. So if you close the Arranger Window, you close the project, but the new taskbar system should remain open unless you go do "File -> Quit"
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Personally, I may never buy another Steinberg product again due to their business plan/policy of milking it's customers dry... never actually finishing the last product versions before trying to sell you a new one.
Also on the Steinberg forum, the usual reply by a mod to solve many issues people are having, is buy the latest Cubase version :roll:

Let the Steinberg farce be with you :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”