Why are developers leaving the Studio One team?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

notinterested wrote:Doesn't anyone realize that every time a thread like this happens, a puppy is killed?
It wasn't my Reaper. This time I locked the door!

My Reaper is safely locked away....I hope. :scared:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

chk071 wrote:This is very short sighted. Companies like Cockos also have lots of middle men. For example, they need a webpage, they need some marketing, they need webspace for downloads, they need equipment for test purposes. Apart from that, how much would you think does the dongle stuff cost you on the end product? 50 cent? Really neglectable.
Webpage developers are producing actual products. "Designing" and "coding". Marketing professionals are providing actual services. The method to boost the business chance by providing their "knowledge". Cloud server company are renting actual space for hosting web site and data. PC manufacturers are producing actual products that run programs for developing softwares.

How about ilok? They are providing nothing except hurting user experience. The only company who can provide actual dongle products are Codemeter AFAIK. Uncrackable dongle. It's a simple story. No money for crackable "we are protecting your software" pretending company which hurts user experience. Period.

chk071 wrote:This is very short sighted. Companies like Cockos also have lots of middle men. For example, they need a webpage, they need some marketing, they need webspace for downloads, they need equipment for test purposes. Apart from that, how much would you think does the dongle stuff cost you on the end product? 50 cent? Really neglectable.
Backend overhead is not the same as customer-facing middlemen. If Reaper's web hosting service charged users directly to visit the site, and charged them more to access the site again after the failure of a component within the hosting system, that would be an apples to apples comparison.
The middleman at play in this scenario would be the user's ISP. If their modem in your home breaks, and the ISP charges you for it, that is clearly beyond the realm of Reaper's HQ's responsibility, and this is obviously not built in to the asking price for their software. If they're nice, they may offer to call your isp and give them sh*t on your behalf, but that's about all they can really do.

There are probably back-end costs associated with iLok for the dev, and those are almost certainly wrapped into the purchase price (possibly even including the ilok dongle itself, but not everyone includes that). Once the dev has transferred the license you've purchased to iLok, any additional costs incurred are not part of their equation. Backup iLoks, ZDT (both of which iLok recommends to better protect you from their own system), RMAs, and similar are all costs you'd pay directly to iLok, the customer-facing middleman, on top of what you've paid the dev for the license itself. Some devs will go the extra mile to help you out if there's trouble, but ultimately it is between you and iLok.

I have no axe to grind with iLok. They've been good to me, just wanted a more appropriate metaphor (and hey, it wasn't even a car!!! :scared: :D )
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

(shakes head in disbelief)

You just don't know how to get a proper ilok throwdown started, do ya?

First, you MUST be abrasive. "I have no beef with ilok/been good to me" isn't acceptable. It has to have overtones of superiority. For example: "works here. Have you checked your video drivers?" or alternatively "ilok ....... ...... and your .... is a .... of a ...... and .... anyone who feels different." Do at least TRY and keep up.

Second, there must be senseless drama. Like, beating a dead horse about how pace ruins your computer and how the evil throws of ilok have damaged the space/time continuum.

Third: There MUST be personal name calling. Favorites include "troll" and "fanboy" (but is certainly not limited to)

Now back to studio one (if that's possible?) V3 three may possibly be announced this week. Of course if it isn't, the poo-sling will be incredible. If the features you requested (100's of times) are not there, the poo-sling will be incredible. Back to my cave!

notinterested wrote:(shakes head in disbelief)

You just don't know how to get a proper ilok throwdown started, do ya?

First, you MUST be abrasive. "I have no beef with ilok/been good to me" isn't acceptable. It has to have overtones of superiority. For example: "works here. Have you checked your video drivers?" or alternatively "ilok ....... ...... and your .... is a .... of a ...... and .... anyone who feels different." Do at least TRY and keep up.

Second, there must be senseless drama. Like, beating a dead horse about how pace ruins your computer and how the evil throws of ilok have damaged the space/time continuum.

Third: There MUST be personal name calling. Favorites include "troll" and "fanboy" (but is certainly not limited to)
i could throw in some lewd gestures if that'd help any :ud:
Now back to studio one (if that's possible?) V3 three may possibly be announced this week. Of course if it isn't, the poo-sling will be incredible. If the features you requested (100's of times) are not there, the poo-sling will be incredible. Back to my cave!
I hear that Presonus is revamping all of their products (studio one, speakers, headphones, interfaces, etc) to require iLok. That's what's been taking so long, and also why all the ex-steinberg guys are bailing. With the new rollout, their old stock options from steinberg/synchrosoft will almost certainly become worthless. So they're all jumping ship in order to slow down presonus' progress long enough for them to dump the stock while it's still worth anything.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I didn't dwell in my cave long enough, but that warranted the seal of excellence!

Headphones and speakers requiring iLok, that's nice.

mixers as well, as well as the entire collection of interfaces....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Their website and forums will also require an iLok device in order to gain access.
I have my meals in a royal palace accompanied by the Royal String Quartet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”