Alchemy available in logic now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Logic Pro

Sampleconstruct wrote:
trimph1 wrote:OK....refresh this old fellow's memory. What was Retina supposed to do? :?
f**k up the graphics of some plugins.
Sounds like a nasty fellow! :ud:

T-CM11 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
trimph1 wrote:OK....refresh this old fellow's memory. What was Retina supposed to do? :?
It only sounds like that, I am suffering from severe retina glitchmania with many plugins, so I am biased. :tu:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
It only sounds like that, I am suffering from severe retina glitchmania with many plugins, so I am biased. :tu:
I don't have a retina screen, but suppose you have a plugin, 320x200 pixels, does the scaling (4 pixels to show one) make it look different?

Out of interest did Apple remove the annoying polyphony restriction that Camel always thought was a good idea?

T-CM11 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
I don't have a retina screen, but suppose you have a plugin, 320x200 pixels, does the scaling (4 pixels to show one) make it look different?
My main issue is the flickering and glitchyness some plugins expose on retina screens, I can live with aliased graphics for a while, but the flickering can be bad and some plugins temporarily disintegrate when you move them around, so you just drag the top part of a compressor and the decay knob just stays where it is until it decides to follow the rest of it's shell - LOL.

tehlord wrote:Out of interest did Apple remove the annoying polyphony restriction that Camel always thought was a good idea?
No, it's still the same, 32 voices max.

elxsound wrote:
Its a marketing BS term that people use like its magic. From their mac book line...
A spectacular 2560-by-1600 resolution on the 13‑inch MacBook Pro and an equally impressive 2880-by-1800 resolution on the 15‑inch MacBook Pro
I'm primarily a Mac user, but I hate this Retina crap because noobs request Retina for their windows and android devices, when its just an Apple marketing term.

But yes, anything with a default resolution of 2K or greater needs better UIs for the plugins. In this case for Logic, a flagship Apple product who are pushing both Logic and "Retina" should have updated their UIs to be "Retina ready." :party:
:phew: Glad I missed that one. :shock:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Sampleconstruct wrote:
tehlord wrote:Out of interest did Apple remove the annoying polyphony restriction that Camel always thought was a good idea?
Weird. No reason for that at all any more.

tehlord wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Except when you add 3+2, you get 5.

elxsound wrote:
tehlord wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Except when you add 3+2, you get 5.

But if you reverse 32 you get 23

Leave highway 23 out o' this!!!! :x
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Retina isn't bullshit marketing. It's a marketing term for an actual thing that is much harder to describe to people by just saying "high resolution". I spent half of my professional life trying to provide meaningful explanations to people for why their screen-size images look "fine" on screen but look like shit when printed.

Many people don't even see the blurry pixelated mess. For those of us that are aware, it's a huge goddamned difference. For people that aren't consciously aware, it's still important for eye comfort (vs eye strain). Looking at stuff that the brain/eyes interpret as blurry (even when it's technically not) leads to fatigue and head pain, even if you're not conscious of it (people often end up not knowing they need glasses at first, despite having head pain, so yes, it can impact us without "seeing" the difference).

It's been 30+ years. It's long past time to make screens as sharp as print.

Once you get used to "retina" PPI text on a computing device, you probably don't want to go back.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'd go so far as to say that if you don't get it, you've never used it. But since current mid range mobile devices are higher PPI than old style and cheap devices, most people with mid range or upper range mobiles should already be looking at sharp text that puts their PC to shame. Unless they're also using PCs with massive screen resolution and have scaled their GUI to not be tiny (and from examples I've seen on the web, Windows software tends to be pissy about UI scaling).

[EDIT: or, if you don't get it, you're not a photographer]

I refuse to invest my computer-purchase money in anything that doesn't have high-PPI display as a standard feature.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Other competitors have stronger HD solutions in the high-end-field just they don't call it "Retina". Now i heard of "Retina HD" now whats that? "Retina" at the end not so good as promised?..

It's simply when a rival company produce a screen to the same specs, it wouldn't be referred to with the same word. It's an Apple-trademark.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Those competitors are...?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”