What would you like to see in Reason 9?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So far within the last year we've got Blamsoft's excellent Zero Hybrid Synth, 2 more additions to Prop's A-List series instruments, Rob Papen's Guitarist port, D16's Decimort2 RE, Jiggery Pokery's Harmonic Synth, Ochen K's 4Mer Synth, and Heavilocity's 2 new Aeon Instrument RE's.There are of course several nice compressors, reverbs, drum modules, filters, and CV effects worth mentioning that came out this year as well. The Rack Extension format isn't going anywhere anytime in the near future and I look forward to seeing what Reason 9 has in store for us. :phones:
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

A reason to upgrade

BITWORD wrote:What would be nice is the option of totally bypassing / removing that big 'ol mixer and just use the other mixers like in the old days... that would be great!
You can still do that. Just manually route the output of a 14:2 into the Audio Input jacks that the Master Section are connected to. Collapse the mixer and it's gone.

This is pretty much how old .rns files load in newer versions of Reason.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:
BITWORD wrote:What would be nice is the option of totally bypassing / removing that big 'ol mixer and just use the other mixers like in the old days... that would be great!
You can still do that. Just manually route the output of a 14:2 into the Audio Input jacks that the Master Section are connected to. Collapse the mixer and it's gone.

This is pretty much how old .rns files load in newer versions of Reason.
That's pretty much what I do 90% of the time, but it would be nice to have it be totally gone - not just collapsed - just out of the signal chain all together.

wow i couldn't agree less.. that mixer is a masterpiece.

Color me weird, (well everyone does) but the mixer is easily one of the selling points. Now, I don't use the eq or the comp very often. But the send, the way inputs are directed, yeah, I thrive on that. And, in case anyone isn't privy, you can not have the stuff you don't use in the view.

I guess an "off" option is fine, I wouldn't be upset about it, but I'm not sure those complaining about it know you can kill virtually everything in it visually if you want.

Wait... don't shoot them!
Wait... don't, shoot them! :clown:

Well, what I wouldn't like to see is one or more reasons to skip my No-more-PC-but-only-Hardware-and-iPad approach and go back to Reason. As far as I can tell there is no chance this will happen with Reason 9, so all is fine with me.

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Reason needs a full graphics replacement. In my opinion the software is crippled by a fixed-resolution GUI that is in ultra-low resolution. Everything needs to be redone. A double rack is not the solution. This CAN be accomplished. It would be a difficult task, but it should be doable. The RE GUI standards would have to be changed and accommodation for fixed legacy sizes made.

I am not upgrading from V7, which I stopped using due to frustration with the GUI graphics, unless Props accomplishes this task.

Scalable interfaces using vector graphics are more difficult to make, but they can be made and made well. For an excellent example, take a look at Madrona Labs plugins. This is a wide-open area for innovation in music production software.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

This upgrade is underwhelming. Basically features that competing DAWs have had for years. No innovation, just playing catch-up at a very slow pace. I was expecting Reason 9 to be a big upgrade since 8 was such a massive dissepointment, but it's pretty much the same.

fceramic wrote:I was expecting Reason 9 to be a big upgrade since 8 was such a massive dissepointment, but it's pretty much the same.
You expected 9 to be a big upgrade when 8 was a massive disappointment? :D :ud: :lol:

I think propellerheads can update reason with very few features because they are getting a lot of revenue from rack extensions. I also think they are putting a lot of resources into updating the Re sdk. I don't think that a lot of reason users updated to version 8 but I do think that many people will update to 9. Not sure I will update, I'm still on 6.5. The performance of Re in reason is not comparable to the performance of vst/au in other host and the small amount of updates that they have been doing far lags behind other daws, therefore I am leaning towards not updating. I also think that their point updates will be minuscule as well when they release them.

Gribs wrote:Reason needs a full graphics replacement. In my opinion the software is crippled by a fixed-resolution GUI that is in ultra-low resolution. Everything needs to be redone. A double rack is not the solution. This CAN be accomplished. It would be a difficult task, but it should be doable. The RE GUI standards would have to be changed and accommodation for fixed legacy sizes made.

I am not upgrading from V7, which I stopped using due to frustration with the GUI graphics, unless Props accomplishes this task.

Scalable interfaces using vector graphics are more difficult to make, but they can be made and made well. For an excellent example, take a look at Madrona Labs plugins. This is a wide-open area for innovation in music production software.
Vector or not, this problem should've been addressed by now. Seeing Reason 9 still hasn't addressed this makes it a non-upgrade for me. Haven't they done ANY work on recreating the old GUI bitmaps in all this time??

I stopped at v7 and still see no motivation to buy yet again. Four versions was enough. Support high-PPI displays with multiplied resolution bitmaps (like retina graphics on Macs and iPads) or go vector; one or the other. THEN I will be motivated to spend money on this product again.

Heck, this oddly ignored aspect of upgrade even motivated me to post. I haven't done that in ages.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Looks fun.
:borg:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”