Ableton Live 9x...I just Dont Care Anymore....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just dont....Perhaps someday in the future, once they've addressed the abortion that is their "Arrange View" I'll revisit but until then, I'm sticking w/ hardware loopers and T6/7.

Cool story bro

stillshaded wrote:Cool story bro
Naturally...of course.

pardon me, i am currently trying ableton. have sold bitwig and might switch to ableton in the future, but what is wrong with its arrange view? i think it is quite nice?

Gymnopedies wrote:Just dont....Perhaps someday in the future, once they've addressed the abortion that is their "Arrange View" I'll revisit but until then, I'm sticking w/ hardware loopers and T6/7.
Using hardware sequencers reminds me of trying to write the great American novel underwater with crayon on toilet tissue. :wink:

But seriously, do whatever works best to optimize your work efficiency. If that's hardware sequences, so be it.
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

This is a blank, formatted diskette (i.e., inadvertent double posting deleted).
It's the music that makes the science worthwhile.

k-tronix wrote:
Gymnopedies wrote:Just dont....Perhaps someday in the future, once they've addressed the abortion that is their "Arrange View" I'll revisit but until then, I'm sticking w/ hardware loopers and T6/7.
Using hardware sequencers reminds me of trying to write the great American novel underwater with crayon on toilet tissue. :wink:

But seriously, do whatever works best to optimize your work efficiency. If that's hardware sequences, so be it.
Not hardware sequencers---Loopers, will sequence in Tracktion
(although, I do hope TSC incorporate a native looper into Tracktion at some point, it needs one.((seriously,TSC!)) )

shonoob wrote:pardon me, i am currently trying ableton. have sold bitwig and might switch to ableton in the future, but what is wrong with its arrange view? i think it is quite nice?
Dude, I have Live Suite with Push and I've tried to "commit" myself to Live thousands of times (each episode lasting no more than a day or two) and I cant get past that shitty Arrangement view and that crappy "correctional facility" grey scheme. My main problem is their take on the automation lanes in the arrangement view. I know lots and lots of people use Live as it is, and I am so happy for them, but I just want to vomit after using it for any period of time. Studio One 3, Cubase Pro 8, Bitwig and FL Studio I can use without that crummy feeling I get with Live. I'm praying that there will be a future update that will address this, but at the rate that Ableton changes anything in Live, most likely I'll be long dead by then.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote:
shonoob wrote:pardon me, i am currently trying ableton. have sold bitwig and might switch to ableton in the future, but what is wrong with its arrange view? i think it is quite nice?
Dude, I have Live Suite with Push and I've tried to "commit" myself to Live thousands of times (each episode lasting no more than a day or two) and I cant get past that shitty Arrangement view and that crappy "correctional facility" grey scheme. My main problem is their take on the automation lanes in the arrangement view. I know lots and lots of people use Live as it is, and I am so happy for them, but I just want to vomit after using it for any period of time. Studio One 3, Cubase Pro 8, Bitwig and FL Studio I can use without that crummy feeling I get with Live. I'm praying that there will be a future update that will address this, but at the rate that Ableton changes anything in Live, most likely I'll be long dead by then.
Hmm I just switched from bitwig, and I can look past the automation of live to have access to the rest of its features. (Much better native fx plugins, sampler etc, much better piano roll, much more depth).

What do you not like about lives automation? My qualm is that it sort of interferes with the clip location.

Thanks

shonoob wrote:What do you not like about lives automation? My qualm is that it sort of interferes with the clip location.
Clip automation to me is fine, but in the Arrangement view I've always hated the way it overlaps on top of the midi and audio information. It's totally messy looking. I always have a hard time with it. I get nauseous looking at that automation disaster when it's time to do some quick editing on the automation. I think it's more the contrast between the two that makes it terrible to my eyes. They should have given the option to put automation on it's own track then I would be able to stomach it. Just my opinion of course.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Maybe you guys should switch to opcode studio vision.

Orbit-50 wrote:
shonoob wrote:What do you not like about lives automation? My qualm is that it sort of interferes with the clip location.
Clip automation to me is fine, but in the Arrangement view I've always hated the way it overlaps on top of the midi and audio information. It's totally messy looking. I always have a hard time with it. I get nauseous looking at that automation disaster when it's time to do some quick editing on the automation. I think it's more the contrast between the two that makes it terrible to my eyes. They should have given the option to put automation on it's own track then I would be able to stomach it. Just my opinion of course.
I see. That makes perfect sense. So i take you are a big fan of the way Bitwig integrated their automation lanes?

My biggest gripe I have so far with ableton is inserting midi clips from the arrange view, and having to right click instead of double click, and having to insert at the top of the channel, it is quite awkward still.

shonoob wrote:So i take you are a big fan of the way Bitwig integrated their automation lanes?
It's way better than Live. Yes. The only thing that leaves me scratching my head about Bitwig automation is having to keep hitting the "Restore Automation" button. That's another discussion in another galaxy though.
shonoob wrote:My biggest gripe I have so far with ableton is inserting midi clips from the arrange view, and having to right click instead of double click, and having to insert at the top of the channel, it is quite awkward still.
Gotcha.

As a regular Live user (I use Cubase primarily) I agree that the arrangement view is messy. When I need strong linear recording I go with Cubase. However, when working with segments, clips, Live is most efficient. When I am done putting the pieces together, I actually use the clip launcher to create a final product in the arrangement area. Then I can tweak, add/remove, etc. whatever and however I want. Sloppy to be sure, but it works.

I cannot imagine walking away from it now. But then again, I expect myself to be able to produce music with a tin can and a stick if that is what I am stuck with.

Sometimes that's what it feels like but the effort and end results are the payoff.

i wish more people would get journals and write stuff in them and then put the journal back in the drawer of the nightstand then go to sleep. then one day 5 years later flip through the journal and realize "what a bunch of horseshit" and throw thing in a fire.

but i guess we can all just keep sharing every thought we have on the internet like it's important.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”