Who will and will not be around in 10 years?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:I have a cheap plastic belt driven Technics. However, my vintage Shure cartridge sounds better on it than on 1200's because it picks up all the motor noise of direct drive turntables.
This was the case back in the day as well though they charged more for direct drive (often receivers had a button for rumble though). What often gets forgotten these days is the importance of tracking weight, back in the day the "S" shaped arms became all the rage only to be replaced by straight low mass tone arms. For years I had a nice belt drive Dual turntable (Dual as in the brand name not as in two) that was one of the first low mass straight tone arm models on the market, it tracked nicely at .7 grams but the down side was you were stuck with the cartridge because there were no choices for it. My best friend had (still has it) a turntable (but I forget who makes it) a turntable with a laser that tracks ahead of the cartridge, on the other other end it has two servo motors for each axis and it has a built in microprocessor...this thing tracks any imperfection in a records surface and adjusts the tonearms so it always maintains flawless tracking, even on extremely warped records.

Yes this guy is that anal, he refused to stop a record in the middle and he also listened to both sides after he started one side for equal wear. He feared if he lifted the needled off in the middle of a record it would leave a pop and if he didn't play both sides one side might wear out fast. He also refused to clean the dust off his dust cover even when it got quite thick because he feared the dust might leave scratches behind...but in his defense his collection of vinyl is still mint and he bought this turntable in the mid 80's. Also he would never let any of my LPs anywhere near his stereo because I was brutal on my vinyl :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

mcnoone wrote:Apple will be on top, because they are the best company ever...in the history of companies.
Cakewalk is a dead fish already.
Worst company ever created.
I don't give them another year.
Their anti-Apple stance is the reason why.
Bunch of hacks.
I don't know about Apple, I wouldn't buy anything Apple again (ipod type things excluded) have a n iphone and once it dies or I kill it I'll go back to Samsung. Will never buy an Apple computer.

Totally agree with Cakewalk being dead in 10 years, though not because of it's anti Apple stance, but because they keep releasing buggy stuff, most of their new 'features' are always bugged at release, just look at the recent mastering plugins, the list is endless and was on a roll from the very start of the subscription model. The very gateway to Sonar, the CCC was bugged out, and half baked, and still is to a certain degree, the new start menu thing was practically unusable upon release, and on and on it goes. Look at Rapture Pro and the condition it was released in, a total mess and unusable for many at the time, they had the hide to take pre orders on that one. Still today there are people who can't even authorize it and therefore can't use it, over a year later? Look at Sonar, dropping into Demo mode randomly and while in use for a lot of people, wouldn't that be great having a client sitting in and all of a sudden your DAW just drops into Demo mode and there is nothing you can do about it. Then there is all the outstanding, long standing major and not so major bugs that will never be fixed, and to that list we can add more and more each and every month, because each and every month we are served up with a new dish of fresh bugs straight out of the oven, a percentage of which will never be fixed, and the list just grows and grows.

Cakewalk has a reputation for releasing half baked goods, and that reputation is well deserved. They also have a reputation for developing really good ideas, and then taking them so far, and just leaving them there bugs and all, never to touch them again and moving on to the next best new thing and they just repeat the process leaving a string of potentially good stuff, but under developed, half baked and seriously bugged.

And now as the 'Artist' tier of the Sonar range, the very lowest tier is the one that is performing the best by far in sales, you can see a swing towards stuff for beginners, stuff for the newbies, not that there is anything wrong with that, but when you do it at the expense of you long time, and therefore more advanced existing clients, well maybe not so good. We have had a slew of beginner/newbie orientated stuff this year, and starting last year with those hideous 'Style Dials. It hasn't been without casualties, as quite a number of long time users have moved on since the move to Subscription model, and certainly after the apparent direction became clear. I myself see quite a number of them on other DAW forums saying they have moved on from Sonar. You can see it in the Cakewalk forums themselves, especially over the last couple of months, there is a definite and continuing thinning of the ranks.

Someone else said they thought Cakewalk would be dead in a year, well I am thinking 2 years, and now with Gibson's trouble with credit ratings, and seemingly most things that Gibson touch taking a dive sooner rather than latter, I think it's only a matter of time . . .
Last edited by jinotsuh on Sun May 15, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say NO to CLAP!

I dunno, but I think there's gonna be a big shift.
When I started few years ago with audio production it baffled me how nonchalant the audio software market operated. As if they had nothing to lose..

Nowadays many companies pay the price for such nonchalance. Yeah, I'm Dutch.. and I know it :clown:

The industry has changed a lot, now there is a common theme, you create fake friendship, if you can convince your CUSTOMERS that they are in some way a friend of yours, they deify you and anybody who says anything bad about you is 'the heathen' and everything you sell they will buy and tell everybody how great it is (You are friends after all)
Once you achieve that, you are living in a never ending pot of gold.
Duh

Loyalty is a two way road. You can't fake loyalty in the long run. This is exactly the reason why we live on ads. Which only make you starve for loyalty more, but okay. It seems a common misunderstanding.

Ok, here is why Cakewalk - one of the leaders in music software innovation would still be around in 10 years. Take a look and listen. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbVAyk ... e=youtu.be
DB

I think most of them will change their business model to subscription and
Personal computing will turn into cloud computing
Peace

funktional wrote:I think most of them will change their business model to subscription and
Peace
Unfortunately, i really feel like that's the thing to come. Also for Windows 10. I'd be damned if they don't switch to a subscription based system one day. Really hate it, i'm used to "own" something, not rent it... but, you know, that's just playing with the people's mentality these days. They see a small one year subscription price, and think "Oh wow, that's peanuts, i can pay that!", and then they "rent" the software for 10 years, and paid twice the price they would have paid when just buying the damn software. Of course, subscription gives you infinite updates for the software, fair enough, but, honestly, there's no substitute for buying something, and owning it. And if it's only the license to use it.

@DeBro

Lol Cakewalk one of the leaders in software innovation?
It's rather the opposite: Cakewalk is around since 1987... and still they are messing around.

I am not against subscription models but they have to provide good value and really justify the "subscription" part.

I pay for MS office and they include 1TB of cloud storage (for each of 5 accounts you can activate), along some skype minutes. That IMHo is worth the 9 USD they charge per month. yeah, I might be paying that for the rest of my life but is a product I use a lot.

In the audio software world the only company I would buy a subscription from is NI, if it included all their stuff and all new releases. No more waiting for K11 to get Reaktor 6.
dedication to flying

Predictions:

The big ones: Apple, Cakewalk, Presonus, and Steinburg will still be around. They might put out all new DAWs under different names to start fresh but they will still be the people on top.

Native Instruments will put out their own DAW... and promptly discontinue it after 6 months.

Propellerheads will close. If not close, they will go directly into the mobile app market and focus on making apps that pop up with "please buy this addon RE for $10!" every 180 beats.

Image-Line will continue to push FL Studio but essentially will become the new Propellerheads Reason and start to fade from existence.

REAPER will also slowly fade out as they begin to hit financial issues. They will attempt to raise the price and people who have been long supporters will revolt against them since the price is what kept them so popular for so long.

Avid will implode on itself across the board and the company will fold due to terrible company management and lack of vision.

Mystic wrote:Predictions:

The big ones: Apple, Cakewalk, Presonus, and Steinburg will still be around. They might put out all new DAWs under different names to start fresh but they will still be the people on top.

Native Instruments will put out their own DAW... and promptly discontinue it after 6 months.

Propellerheads will close. If not close, they will go directly into the mobile app market and focus on making apps that pop up with "please buy this addon RE for $10!" every 180 beats.

Image-Line will continue to push FL Studio but essentially will become the new Propellerheads Reason and start to fade from existence.

REAPER will also slowly fade out as they begin to hit financial issues. They will attempt to raise the price and people who have been long supporters will revolt against them since the price is what kept them so popular for so long.
Could definitely tell your one of those NI posters on their forum lol.
Avid will implode on itself across the board and the company will fold due to terrible company management and lack of vision.

rod_zero wrote:I am not against subscription models but they have to provide good value and really justify the "subscription" part.

I pay for MS office and they include 1TB of cloud storage (for each of 5 accounts you can activate), along some skype minutes. That IMHo is worth the 9 USD they charge per month. yeah, I might be paying that for the rest of my life but is a product I use a lot.

In the audio software world the only company I would buy a subscription from is NI, if it included all their stuff and all new releases. No more waiting for K11 to get Reaktor 6.
If NI do subscription I definitely would pay for it.

chk071 wrote:
funktional wrote:I think most of them will change their business model to subscription and
Peace
Unfortunately, i really feel like that's the thing to come. Also for Windows 10. I'd be damned if they don't switch to a subscription based system one day. Really hate it, i'm used to "own" something, not rent it... but, you know, that's just playing with the people's mentality these days. They see a small one year subscription price, and think "Oh wow, that's peanuts, i can pay that!", and then they "rent" the software for 10 years, and paid twice the price they would have paid when just buying the damn software. Of course, subscription gives you infinite updates for the software, fair enough, but, honestly, there's no substitute for buying something, and owning it. And if it's only the license to use it.
There is a major downside to subscription that a lot of people are ignoring too, when you rent you can not sell on, so if you pay in two years what the two yearly purchase price was, but it is in easy small payments, great, but you OWN nothing, those companies that go subscription are very trixxy
Duh

True, but i grew up in a time where noone even thought about selling bought software. :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”