Who will and will not be around in 10 years?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Comparing to the turntable market of today is a bad idea, pre CD you could buy a quality deck in consumer stores at consumer prices, have you even looked at the current market ?

A consumer deck nowadays is a POS that if you put any of my vinyl on it, i would smash your face in, and i have some seriously poor decks (i collect them) but even an old poor deck is better than a crosley or some Ion piece of garbage.
Yes you can buy hi end, but you are talking real heavy expenditure.

So if you want to compare, compare to that reality ;)
Duh

I have a cheap plastic belt driven Technics. However, my vintage Shure cartridge sounds better on it than on 1200's because it picks up all the motor noise of direct drive turntables.

I guess whoever is filing the most software patents and buys up as many developers as they can... :o A few years after that it will probably be some sort of fully featured open source/free daw that ends up being popular because of the lack of other options and features being controlled by just a few companies.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
mcnoone wrote:Apple will be on top, because they are the best company ever...in the history of companies.
Cakewalk is a dead fish already.
Worst company ever created.
I don't give them another year.
Their anti-Apple stance is the reason why.
Bunch of hacks.
You realize Cakewalk has been in business for over 25 years? And for those entire 25 years have had an anti-Apple stance and been quite successful doing it as well.

As for being in trouble, Apple is the one who stock seems to be constanly dropping so you may want to re-think your prediction.
This is what I was thinking as well. I use and like both windows and apple products but Apple has seen there stock dropping while some of these others show no signs of slowing down. I can give cakewalk a hard time here and there, but they have been around forever and don't appear to be in any kind of trouble. Propellerhead isn't going anywhere and if anything are embracing the the mobile/online market more than most. Plus, they've prided themselves in being a small company since day once so they way less overhead. Avid has had trouble in the past but seem to have bounced back and found there footing again. Plus, they have there hand in video and other digital media platforms too. I cant even fathom how someone could think Steinberg would need to worry. The platform they created is still the gold standard for almost every plugin and VI created today, Cubase is still a top DAW for lots of professionals(I don't use it personally,btw), and Cubasis for Ipad is one of the best selling mobile DAWs in the world. Presonus is a massively succesful hardware company and Studio One itself is just another addition to there product lineup. Unfortunately it will be a lot of the indie developers who will be hit the hardest due to less capital, less employees, and less financial support. This is why we have to do our best to throw money at the ones we really want to see grow.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Uncle E wrote:I have a cheap plastic belt driven Technics. However, my vintage Shure cartridge sounds better on it than on 1200's because it picks up all the motor noise of direct drive turntables.
A cheap plastic belt driven Technics is way way better than the brutal heaps that are selling so well on Amazon, and lets be clear here, they are not selling to be used as a pride of place media player, they are being sold as a pride of place "Look at how trendy i am" center piece for the living room, this is why the vast number of these new consumer turntables are built in some faux 60s kitsch wooden portable cabinet.
Still it is rather hilarious that i got attacked so heavily by so called "Vinyl savvy" users here and at other forums when i pointed out that belt drives are always better for sound quality hahaha, you can get a huge monster weight to kill most of the rumble on a 12, you can even get an upgraded PSU to get rid of the hum/buzz too, apparently i was making it up about the 12s hum/buzz too hah (Truth be told i love the sound of the 12, but i have spent most of my adult life using them)
Duh

pdxindy wrote:
rod_zero wrote:Desktops are already dissapearing from the mass marketing, their use will remain for profesional users that need the power and gamers. The lower end desktop will dissapear.

iPads could replace desktops when they become powerfull enough, they are not that far, for the Music making needs of a great number of Music makers.
Yeah, but iOS sucks... I would never want to depend on it.For actual work a real OS is far better.

I certainly prefer a real OS over iOS and Android. They're too 'hermetic'; no registry and command line tweaks. You cannot get 'under the hood'!

Just running Apps without being able to influence them ... not for me!

IMO a real computer afficionado will not get happy with a tablet device!

I see the iPad not as a DAW but a groove box or collection of instruments. Many people don't require more than that, and for that limited use they are great and will only get better. For full blown DAW use I don't think they will ever replace a desktop.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I see the iPad not as a DAW but a groove box or collection of instruments. Many people don't require more than that, and for that limited use they are great and will only get better. For full blown DAW use I don't think they will ever replace a desktop.
I see the iPad as the modern equivalent of Al Bundy's newspaper. I know y'all read on the throne.

I think Presonus will probably be around regarding hardware, but Studio One will continue to lose market share and will be an afterthought. They really bombed with the 2 > 3 "upgrade".

donato wrote:I think Presonus will probably be around regarding hardware, but Studio One will continue to lose market share and will be an afterthought. They really bombed with the 2 > 3 "upgrade".
So it sounds like your more upset about maybe the upgrade pricing? I"m assuming your not using if it had bombed. Look for more hardware with integration in the future. Don't get left behind!

donato wrote:I think Presonus will probably be around regarding hardware, but Studio One will continue to lose market share and will be an afterthought. They really bombed with the 2 > 3 "upgrade".
I'm quite happy with Studio One 3 and we're seeing better sales of version 3 than we did of version 2. I actually think there will be a lot of people switching to Studio One this year, based on some things that are in the works.

Uncle E wrote:
I'm quite happy with Studio One 3 and we're seeing better sales of version 3 than we did of version 2. I actually think there will be a lot of people switching to Studio One this year, based on some things that are in the works.
I'm still waiting for the 100 € upgrade option from S1 2 Producer to take the plunge. :) Thought it might come some day, but so far, it hasn't. Maybe i'm expecting too much.

chk071 wrote:I'm still waiting for the 100 € upgrade option from S1 2 Producer to take the plunge. :) Thought it might come some day, but so far, it hasn't. Maybe i'm expecting too much.
We're accepting the "StudioOneWaves" coupon, which brings the price down by 25%:

https://www.jrrshop.com/presonus-studio ... ssional-v3

Thanks for the tip. I would consider it, but i'm a bit short of money atm anyway, especially for buying audio stuff.

Uncle E wrote: I actually think there will be a lot of people switching to Studio One this year, based on some things that are in the works.
I would avoid saying things like that, nothing better than companies for changing their minds and not releasing what they have already developed (Maschine haha)
Duh

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”