Propellerhead Software announced Reason 9 : 21 June

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Found this here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... announced/

Propellerhead Software today announced Reason 9, the latest version of the popular virtual studio. Reason 9 introduces new devices, sounds, and creative tools.

Here’s what’s new in Reason 9:

Reason 9 introduces three Player devices, designed to transform MIDI input:

Note Echo creates rhythmic, pitched MIDI delays for melodies, drum rolls, and more.

Scales & Chords turns simple melodies into beautiful harmonies and chords so you can stay focused on the music making. Transpose notes to a selected scale and automatically generate chords for your song, no music theory required.

Dual Arpeggio transforms chords into intricate and inspiring rhythms. From classic up-and-down to polyphonic and polyrhythmic, Dual Arpeggio breathes new life into any instrument in your Reason rack.
Reason’s new Pitch Edit mode helps you fix out-of-tune notes, add vibrato, change timing, create new melodies from your recording, change the dynamics and more.

Audio to MIDI lets you convert your vocals to MIDI notes for endless sound manipulation possibilities.

Reason 9 also comes with 1000 new sounds. The Reason Rack is also enhanced with key workflow improvements and darker theme options.

Pricing and Availability

Reason 9 will be available worldwide on June 21, 2016, with these options:

Reason 9 EUR €405 / USD $449
Reason Essentials 9 EUR €120 / USD $129
Reason 9 Upgrade (from any previous Reason version) EUR €129 / USD $129, or free to customers who purchased Reason 8 on or after May 1, 2016.
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Underwhelming, IMHO. Looks like I'll be waiting until Reason 10 to upgrade.

Yes, underwhelming. This company continues to annoy with meager upgrades.

KEv

(@ propellerheads)

EDIT, didn't notice this:
key workflow improvements
That's the thing I'm most interested in. Not sure that they won't do some really cool stuff if so. Maybe they'll even move into the 21st century and have drag/drop midi files :lol:

There are a lot of things that I really love about Reason but I agree this is yet another in a chain of underwhelming upgrades. There needs to be some serious improvements to the stock instruments and the piano roll. Thor is now almost 10-year old DSP technology and can't hold a candle to the state of the art today. For a DAW that really wants to be an all-in-the-box kind of solution this just isn't good enough.

I was really hoping that Reason 9 would be the version that would get me back into writing mostly in Reason but it looks instead like I'm going to mothball it completely.

I'd just like to have the cursor show the note name so that I can edit quickly... but, that's hardly an upgrade.

They have the best stretch algorism among competitors. So pitch edit will be good one.

BITWORD wrote:I'd just like to have the cursor show the note name so that I can edit quickly... but, that's hardly an upgrade.
It's really tough to know if those kinds of things will be there. There are so many obvious little needs like that.

Again, if the ones mentioned are just "home runs" and there are a bunch of really cool flow updates, I'll be happy.

BTW, I like audio to midi, it's something I miss from live. Unless it's very poorly implemented, there is a lot you can do with it.

Hey! Hey guis! Hey look! Here's some updates! Yah, these features could have been part of an 8.x update... kinda like how 8 could have been a 7.x update and 7 could have been a 6.6 update... but things cost money to develop! Nevermind it took about a month of actual work. Please update!

Fooled me at updating to 6.5. Never again, Propellerheads. You use to be one of my favourite companies. Now you can eat it.

The link is dead. I Googled it and followed the link and got the same "not found" message. I went back to Google to view the cached page and it was also gone. I wonder if someone screwed up in posting this?

Or as I mentioned, it was just a troll.

Like I said, 8.4 was mentioned by a dev, then 10+ months of nothing, now this? Maybe true but could easily be a troll.

LOL

Just compare this to Ableton's Live 9.5 update (which was free), what a Joke of a product has Reason become.
dedication to flying

It's a funny old world.

10+ years ago Properllerhead were lauded as one of the best software companies out there. A company that understood what their users needed and was responsive.

Up until Reason 6.5 I looked forward with excitement to each new release and what new features, and devices, it would bring.

Then came Rack Extensions and it was immediately obvious that this was the beginning of the end. A few months later I sold up.

Now look at what they have become ... a company that had to close its own forums because of the criticism it was getting.

Whether this press release on 9 is true or not, would anybody be surprised by such a lacklustre update?

At least with iZotope I can understand that they were bought by a bunch of venture capitalists, but Propellerheads? I expected better.

How sad.

I'll wait for the official announcement and see what "key workflow improvements" means before I make a judgement on the update. But I really hope those workflow improvements include some major updates to the sequencer as well.
I don't understand why the won't update their old devices though. Thor, Subtractor, Malstrom and the various FX devices etc. They're made for totally different requirements than today and would not need that much work to be more up to date.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the official announcement which has to be later today.

I agree, I also sold at 6 when rack extentions came out. For me, reason went in the wrong direction and every update since has just made me glad I got out.

If reason had stayed a self contained synth/sequencer environment and gone down the modular route (new types of sequence other than linier etc) I would have stayed in; once it tried to be just another DAW (but one that didn't host VSTs) it was the beginning of the end.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”