Magix buys Sony Creative Software (Acid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hm, hope they keep the quality of Sony Creative products high. Vegas/Movie Studio are great for example.

I wonder what this will mean for current license holders.

I haven't really used Acid in years, but I do keep a license around so I can open old projects. I'm not sure how I feel about this acquisition. I'm not really surprised that Sony is selling, but Magix isn't exactly a top tier developer.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

If they have money to buy other company why don't spend them in marketing existing software? They have Samplitude and it looks already good.

chk071 wrote:Hm, hope they keep the quality of Sony Creative products high. Vegas/Movie Studio are great for example.
Vegas Pro still seems to be very popular.

tooneba wrote:If they have money to buy other company why don't spend them in marketing existing software? They have Samplitude and it looks already good.
So true.

tooneba wrote:If they have money to buy other company why don't spend them in marketing existing software? They have Samplitude and it looks already good.
Maybe they were more interested in the video stuff, Vegas for example has practically been a video-only app for over 10 years so it wouldn't overlap that much with Samplitude. Acid they could just kill off as a product and pick any interesting parts to be used in their other audio products.

Xenakios wrote:
Maybe they were more interested in the video stuff, Vegas for example has practically been a video-only app for over 10 years so it wouldn't overlap that much with Samplitude. Acid they could just kill off as a product and pick any interesting parts to be used in their other audio products.
Magix has some very good video editing software already, Magix Video Pro X is very well received. There was also this announcement recently on Magix forums
MAGIX reinforces its growth path with two new hires

Berlin, May 2, 2016 – with Aishvarya Agarwal and Dr. Steffen Klein on board, MAGIX gets top-class reinforcement. Mr. Agarwal takes over the position of Senior Vice President of Marketing at the renowned video, audio and photo software manufacturer. Mr. Klein will become the new Chief Product Officer for Music. Both will report directly to CEO Klaus Schmidt, who has led the internationally expanding enterprise since last September.

The experienced B2C marketing and CRM pro Aishvarya Agarwal has already started at his new position on May 1st. At his last post, he was the European Manager of CRM/Online at Rakuten, responsible for online marketing at one of the world's top-ten Internet companies. Before that, he was Director of CRM, Global CRM Manager and Head of Online Marketing Channels India for the Berlin Internet group Rocket Internet and its ventures.

Dr. Steffen Klein will begin at MAGIX Software GmbH on June 1st. He comes from the Berlin music software manufacturer Ableton, where he was Product Director for products such as Ableton Push. Before this, the product designer with a PhD has been working for ImmobilienScout24 as Head of User Experience. He was responsible for the development and implementation of the UX strategy of the real estate portal.

"2016 is turning out to be a year of innovation and market growth for MAGIX. For this reason, we are thrilled to welcome two top marketing and product management pros to our team. Aish and Steffen are a tremendous enrichment for our company," says CEO Klaus Schmidt.

MAGIX Software GmbH has launched a new brand identity during the last few months. Further milestones were the introduction of YOUCAST for live streaming, Camera MX for image and video editing using Android devices and Fastcut for automated video editing. The company has recently stepped up the pace by switching to quarterly releases. With Mr. Agarwal and Mr. Klein as new executives, MAGIX reveals its high ambitions.

About MAGIX

MAGIX AG is an internationally operating provider of software, online services and digital content for using multimedia products and services in personal and business communication. MAGIX offers private and professional users a technologically demanding and at the same time user-friendly range of products for designing, editing, presenting and archiving digital photos, videos, music, documents and websites.

According to retail sales figures, MAGIX is the market leader in the field of multimedia software in Germany and in the most important European markets. It is also regarded as one of the most successful market participants in the USA.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

What the whaaa..............? This means Magix owns the planet!! Acid Planet that is..... :clown:

Weirdest company in the industry = Magix
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Very interesting, Hink.

The question I have is what's going to happen to Sony (Sonic Foundry's) Sound Forge? Maybe integration into Samplitude/Sequoia?

I believe that even after all these years, SF and Wavelab are top-tier wave editing tools -

siriusbliss wrote:Weirdest company in the industry = Magix
You know, they are German. :hihi:

This is just horrible, I use Sound Forge Pro on mac all the time. I really hope this is a acquihire so the same people will be working on the products at least. If the name changes to Magix Sound Forge I will be out of there real quick as I don't want to be caught using it.

Great, now one really really slow developing company controls a dead product ... it's like the zombie apocalypse.

On a serious note, it would be terrific if some of that was beefed up and re-released, just for nostalgic reasons.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”