$xxx life time update.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR

What do you guys think this kind of "approach" ? And what DAW you want to see this kind of approach happens?

for commercial products - suspiciously

development costs money, without an upgrade revenue stream, who is going to pay for future development?
(there are only a limited number of new customers and they are hard to attract)

its a bind when you have a lot of software, continually paying upgrade fees, but I see it as a cost for continued development for commercial products - which I prefer over the alternative, software being stagnant/abandonware.

there is always a fine line with bugfix/minor upgrades for free, and major upgrades ... and if I dont see enough in a paid upgrade I might skip it for a few releases (e.g. Reason and NI Komplete)

finally there is often an alternative with open source or free software, which have different pros/cons - so there is a choice.

I did buy the Sonar free lifetime updates. That said, I'm skeptical. I fail to see how that could possibly be a sustainable business model. They're going to have to come out with some additional product line to derive another revenue stream from that same user base. For example, not including features in the core product and offering them as add-ons or in-app purchases. Then they're technically still giving you the product, but all the new innovations will cost extra. I'm entirely certain that we'll see something like that from Cakewalk eventually. Or, as I half-joked in another thread, I'll continue to get free lifetime updates on Sonar Platinum, but next year they'll announce Sonar Titanium.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Is that permanent? I thought the Sonar lifetime thing was a temporary buy, not a permanent thing.

But then again, I haven't exactly been keeping up with Sonar news.

Yes, the lifetime offer is temporary - until end of Aug I think.

LawrenceF wrote:Is that permanent? I thought the Sonar lifetime thing was a temporary buy, not a permanent thing.

But then again, I haven't exactly been keeping up with Sonar news.
The offer is good through the end of August. If you purchase it, you get lifetime upgrades. It's been implied that the offer won't be repeated in the future, but you never know.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Image-Line has this business model for years with FL Studio and it seems to be working well for them...

[Mod edit: Removed quote from a now deleted post.]

Not sure how MeldaProduction do it, but somehow they do and I like it !

Ryan99 wrote:Image-Line has this business model for years with FL Studio and it seems to be working well for them...
19 years so far. Apparently its a flawed model ;)

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

What if I told you guys that 70 ~ 80% of paid-for update DAW sales are from NEW customers.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Image-Line wrote:What if I told you guys that 70 ~ 80% of paid-for update DAW sales are from NEW customers.

Regards Scott
It would have more impact if you wrote it on a meme with Lawrence Fishborne from the Matrix.

"What if I told you..." ;-)

jsp1979 wrote:It would have more impact if you wrote it on a meme with Lawrence Fishborne from the Matrix.

"What if I told you..." ;-)
Didn't you just state the other day that:
jsp1979 wrote:
An option where OP should lock out certain members from the thread would be great. Spare us some stupid wannabe comments which have nothing to do with the current discussion here.
a big +1 on this
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=465807&start=60

So why aren't you locked out of this thread, writing that kind of waffle :P

I mean the matrix, how far off topic do you plan to go :shrug:

The man is called Fishburne btw. :P

I can't see much wrong about FL Studio's business model btw. I'd be happy to have free life time updates on my DAW. :(
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With the utmost sincere respect to Scott and IL, just because a model works really well for one company doesn't mean it will work as well, or even at all, for every other company. They're all different companies, different sizes and many other obvious differences.

I'd say the same for Reaper. They have a great business model for them but it would probably be a financial disaster for Steinberg.

The real qustion, which will remain unknown because a lot of these comapnies are private , is who actually make the most profit.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceF wrote:With the utmost sincere respect to Scott and IL, just because a model works really well for one company doesn't mean it will work as well, or even at all, for every other company. They're all different companies, different sizes and many other obvious differences.

I'd say the same for Reaper. They have a great business model for them but it would probably be a financial disaster for Steinberg.
You're right. Actually, Steinberg wouldn't be able to pay their 150+ employees with a business model like Reaper. Justin Frankel has the money to pay his 1 or 2 other devs from his own pocket. I wouldn't even be sure if it creates any money. Would be a disaster for any other company. And i don't think that what Image-Line does would work for every other company out there either. In the end, they all pick the business model which fits best anyway. Or not.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”