Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sqigls wrote:Cubase for life baby

+100 :tu:

I decided 2016 was to be a year without the PC and have gone 'DAWless' this year. It's been a fun year and quite refreshing but will be going back on the PC again soon. I guess I have to decide whether to stick with the software I have or try something new. I've not used Steinberg for sequencing since Pro24 on the Atari (which I still have somewhere), but I may give Cubase a try since this would be a convenient point to switch.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

seamoss wrote:

I switched from Cubase 8.5 to...Cubase 9. :hihi:

Glad I did. That thing just keeps on gettin better.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

woggle wrote:
zenophilix wrote:I wanted to switch to FL earlier this year, but eventually decided learning a new DAW wasn't worth it. A friend shared his FL license file with me last week, though, which I was hyped about. Then I discovered sharing licenses is against the TOS, and it turned out to be a cracked license anyway, so that ended quickly. :P
I had not really thought of FL until today but just installed it and am trying it as a VSTi within Reaper - so far it seems very good and I will keep testing until the January sales drop the price a little (or I lose interest). I figure if I only use the midi it should not be a huge learning curve. Also Reaper is pretty good for audio anyway. Completely agree on the learning effort though - you really need a strong reason to shift DAWs if youve been on the same one for a few years.
It's really not a huge learning curve, It took me less than a week on the demo to figure everything out. It's definitely tailored for EDM and other genres with repetitive melodies, thus the system of painting clips onto the timeline. For me the mixer was the only thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around, I never figured out how to sidechain properly. :roll: I highly doubt I'll ever switch DAWs, I've been using live 7 since I was 11 IIRC. I can definitely see myself picking up FL or BitWig as a secondary DAW, though - I don't think I could go through life only using Live 7 :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

BERFAB wrote:
seamoss wrote:

I switched from Cubase 8.5 to...Cubase 9. :hihi:

Glad I did. That thing just keeps on gettin better.

-B
i'm still on 6.5
it does everything i need it to do, i really have no interest in upgrading
i have re-orderable inserts now :P

Yup, really this. I was thinking about the crazy 'journey' lately. Mine went from FL Studio (which I still love and use for ideas) -> Energy XT -> Project 5.2 -> Tracktion -> Sonar Home -> EnergyXT2 -> Sonar 5, 6, 7 -> Reaper -> Cubase 5, 6.5, 7.5, 9.

I'm such a whore, but I'm settling down. :hihi:

Well I started in the 80's with a TR-505, D-50, DX7, D-110, MT32, alpha Juno 2, Alesis HR-16 & D4, EPS16, TR-909, R-50 and a MC-500 sequencer. 93' I started working with Cakewalk, followed by Acid then Fruity Loops. I initially enjoyed Fruity Loops because I could lay my drums down so fast like i could with the TR-505, I can sample/import .wav files, chop and timestretch them in minutes. My favorite sample based producers use Ableton so I wanted to see what it was that they like so much about Ableton. I've recently purchased an APCmini and nativeKontrol Arsenal Control Surface scripts, I'm not looking back.

zenophilix wrote:It's definitely tailored for EDM and other genres with repetitive melodies, thus the system of painting clips onto the timeline.
this is why I have never really looked at FL - I don't make pop/rock/dance stuff much at all - I go way back to the late 70s making musique concrete using tape / But once you drop the snap feature the FL playlist becomes more like Reaper free item positioning mode - perhaps even more powerful.

sonar x1 -> splat (with lifetime updates)

never was more happy...

edit: always was happy 8)

Bonafide wrote:Well I started in the 80's with a TR-505, D-50, DX7, D-110, MT32, alpha Juno 2, Alesis HR-16 & D4, EPS16, TR-909, R-50 and a MC-500 sequencer. 93' I started working with Cakewalk, followed by Acid then Fruity Loops. I initially enjoyed Fruity Loops because I could lay my drums down so fast like i could with the TR-505, I can sample/import .wav files, chop and timestretch them in minutes. My favorite sample based producers use Ableton so I wanted to see what it was that they like so much about Ableton. I've recently purchased an APCmini and nativeKontrol Arsenal Control Surface scripts, I'm not looking back.
wow... welcome to kvr forum with your first post :party:

Reaper to Logic.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

Still in Ableton. However since buying a macbook pro, gotta a chance to get reacquainted with logic since it was discontinued on the pc. Plenty of old projects still work which is great. The price is a joke with what you get. Alchemy yeah!

Other smaller ones I use depending on what I do: Mulab, tracktion and audiomulch (not sure I'd call it a daw) for drones, ambiences and weird stuff.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

I always switch between 2 DAW's. Can't really say which one is the better, i like them both, and one does the one thing better, the other the other. :)

Didn't switch this year... well, wait... I did buy and then later sell Bitwig. But, I had been using FL and Live for a while, and the past few months I've been exclusive... with Live. My last holdout was pitch editing - had been using NewTone. I ended up buying Melodyne Assistant for those duties, so yeah, one DAW for me now. Feels right. There's things that I like about FL, but I'm not into the pattern workflow that it has.

paradiddle wrote:Still in Ableton. However since buying a macbook pro, gotta a chance to get reacquainted with logic since it was discontinued on the pc. Plenty of old projects still work which is great. The price is a joke with what you get. Alchemy yeah!

Other smaller ones I use depending on what I do: Mulab, tracktion and audiomulch (not sure I'd call it a daw) for drones, ambiences and weird stuff.
That does remind me, technically I did switch DAWs for about a week. My dad snagged a used Mac Pro with Logic X Pro installed on it, so we've been trying to learn how to use it. :party: We both find it illogical. He also has DP7 that he's installed, which I find to be confusing. Still more natural than Logic, though. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”