Wavelab 9 - still complicated workflow?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WaveLab Pro

Hi guys - I just got a mail from Steinberg about some spring discount for Wavelab 9 and since I've been on the lookout for a new audio editor for some time, it caught my attention.

When it comes to Wavelab, I've always admired its functions but absolutely loathed its UI and workflow. Wavelab has always been that editor that I can't seem to grasp and it's been like that since the first version hundreds of years ago. Throw me any other editor and I'll figure them out within minutes. But every time I try Wavelab it always ends in frustration.

Reason why I am on the lookout for a new editor is because the one I'm using (TwistedWave) is getting a bit too small for me.

So before I try the demo (if there even is such a thing) - I want to hear from you guys. How is Wavelab these days in terms of usability and user friendliness?
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Wavelab 9 is amaaazing. Massive GUI overhaul.
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

and massive problems with many third party plugins

The biggest drawback to Wavelab is that it doesn't have anywhere near the automation support that Cubase has. For that reason there is no compelling reason (imho) to use it verses Cubase for that reason.

I switched from Twisted Wave to Wavelab 9 Elements a couple months ago, haven't looked back. Yes, there is a fully functional demo, I think it runs for 2 weeks, possibly longer. I have used it to master a 2-CD live show, have also used it to slice up albums that I transferred digitally to my iMac. For example, I ordered the new pressing of the "Fast Times At Ridgement High" soundtrack on vinyl, transferred it to my iMac as 1 long recording, then used WL9 to edit out the needles drops and slice it into individual songs. I burnt a CD of it, and my edits were so close that iTunes recognized it as the "Fast Times" soundtrack!
Last edited by dougb256 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running Logic Pro 10.4 under Sierra on a late 2012 27" iMac wth 24 GB RAM :tu:

rasmusklump wrote:and massive problems with many third party plugins
Ouch. Soundtoys and Waves included?

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:

/C
No, and it's not "massive" problems. There are some plugins that have blank GUIs, some that have mouse issues, some that don't render (McDSP), and some that crash. Here is the thread at the WL forum: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 4&t=113254
Running Logic Pro 10.4 under Sierra on a late 2012 27" iMac wth 24 GB RAM :tu:

All I can say after trying to help a couple people come to grips with Wavelab... it is not a music creation DAW. If you try to use it like Live or Bitwig or Logic, you will never get it and it will never make sense. That may not be your issue with it. But in my limited attempts at helping a couple of people, that was the reason. They wanted the analysis tools, but really wanted that within a clip based, DJ style DAW.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Wow, I had no idea that Wavelab had that reputation. I used it over a decade ago when at uni and again more recently since getting Wavelab LE 8, and I've always found it to be a perfectly straightforward and intuitive tool for audio editing. Admittedly I've only ever used it for directly editing waveforms rather than processing and the like, but I've done some extremely complex 'granular-like' edits with it and it's always been a pleasure to work with - even a decade ago.

cron wrote:Wow, I had no idea that Wavelab had that reputation. I used it over a decade ago when at uni and again more recently since getting Wavelab LE 8, and I've always found it to be a perfectly straightforward and intuitive tool for audio editing.
Well, it is. At least for me. I used to use Wavelab 3.5 a lot for editing MP3's, and restoring vinyl, and absolutely loved it. Haven't been using it much recently, as i don't really have much audio work to do anymore, but, when i boot Wavelab Elements 9, i do enjoy working it. Still getting used to where things are now though, the GUI work they did with version 9 is quite revolutionary, if you're used to the older versions...

dougb256 wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:

/C
No, and it's not "massive" problems. There are some plugins that have blank GUIs, some that have mouse issues, some that don't render (McDSP), and some that crash. Here is the thread at the WL forum: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 4&t=113254
Thanks a lot for the link - what's the general feeling about the support regarding this matter. Does Steinberg continuously fix incompatibilities with plugins or do they (largely) ignore them?

/C

They ignore them claiming that the thirdparty developer (whose plugins run fine in all other Steinberg hosts) have to fix it.

Btw, there are more than one threads on the Steinberg forum about that issue.

DrGonzo wrote:
dougb256 wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:

/C
Thanks a lot for the link - what's the general feeling about the support regarding this matter. Does Steinberg continuously fix incompatibilities with plugins or do they (largely) ignore them?

/C
They may not fix bugs as quickly as many would like, but PG - who almost single-handedly develops Wavelab himself - is on the forums often and, unlike other Steinberg employees, is fairly upfront re: product development/ updates.
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

The fact that neither of Wavelab 4 and Clean will install on anything after Windows Vista means Steinberg will get no further business from me.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Sorry for the late reply but this just occurred to me and I thought it might be useful to someone.

Samplitude is known to be strong in the area of audio editing. The Silver version, limited to 8 tracks, is available as a free download. There are a few other limitations, but if you can work around them, a pretty nifty free wave editor.

Review and download link with instructions:

http://www.buzz99.com/download-magix-sa ... l-version/

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”