Tracktion Waveform launched! (The successor to Tracktion 7)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

aMUSEd wrote:
Pi-e wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Pi-e wrote:I have tried the demo, my first little impressions
- the demo has a noise every like 30 seconds, very very annoying
- it took me long time to install it
If you set up an account on their site you can activate it for an unlimited 30 day demo with no noise
that's what I did, I created an account but then in my area I could not find any product to download or activate.
And I actually spent some time to do it

Could you tell me what to do?

thankss
You already have it installed, you just need to activate it by entering your account details into the activation dialogue (on startup screen or under help)

yes but my production pc is not connected to the internet, so I believe I cannot do it..but I'm not sure

Getting several newsletter from Tracktion of late about that great new Collective thingie
Included with all Waveform DAW packages, Collective is a powerful sampler and synthesizer capable of generating a wide variety of instrument sounds. Quickly select from over 600 presets and deep dive to surgically craft your unique sound. Pull from the included sample library or load your own, combine with synthesis or cherish the supreme quality of traditional samples.
If it is so good ("One Instrument to Rule Them All" etc) why can't they sell it like a standalone VST outside Tracktion Waveform? I mean, they sell some of their old plugs as standalone, so why not sell the new ones as well.

Numanoid wrote:Getting several newsletter from Tracktion of late about that great new Collective thingie
Included with all Waveform DAW packages, Collective is a powerful sampler and synthesizer capable of generating a wide variety of instrument sounds. Quickly select from over 600 presets and deep dive to surgically craft your unique sound. Pull from the included sample library or load your own, combine with synthesis or cherish the supreme quality of traditional samples.
If it is so good ("One Instrument to Rule Them All" etc) why can't they sell it like a standalone VST outside Tracktion Waveform? I mean, they sell some of their old plugs as standalone, so why not sell the new ones as well.
I had the impression from some of the NAMM videos that this is the intention.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Getting several newsletter from Tracktion of late about that great new Collective thingie
Yes they do sell their other new ones (eg the FX collection) so I guess this is likely, perhaps they are waiting till the bugs are ironed out, it still has some 'rough edges' - for example in hosts other than Waveform it doesn't correctly expose some automation params at the moment.

jabe wrote:
Yes they do sell their other new ones (eg the FX collection) so possibly this is planned, perhaps they are waiting till the bugs are ironed out? It still has some 'rough edges' - for example in hosts other than Waveform it doesn't correctly expose some automation params at the moment.

Then again if they did sell it on its own there is the question of what would be a meaningful price since it already comes free with even the basic Waveform - people might as well just buy that anyway.

I've been demoing two different versions of the new Waveform daw along with biotek and collective synths. First there was broblem on os x with horrible 2+mins total unresponsiveness when changing preset on collective.

Now after giving it some time to get rid of bugs, I installed the newest version. Collective seems to be smooth now, but I'm now encourtering two far more worse problems;

First
Midi tracks stop working. Suddenly there's no output from track even though nothing has been changed on the track. I can't figure out any reason for this, as the tracks that do this varies. For example simple chords with collective on the track running simple piano preset just stops outputting any sound. Even restart won't fix the issue. Only thing helping is deleting the collective from track and reinput it. Same thing with totally different track with simple melody on midi and biotek on it. I can reproduce this in 5mins again and again, because this is happening all the time and I can't really demo the software as this is happening all the time.

Second thing is
My CPU is dying with only 9 tracks and 5 of them playing at the time. 2 tracks with wav/caf loops and 2 tracks (midi chords/bass) with collective on them and 1 track with midi melody running biotek.

After letting it loop few times for short 8 bar loop, I get cpu overload. CPU usage is 98-100 all the time.

I've tried to google everything related to these issues but no success... Has anybody else had same kind of problems?

These issues are on two totally different computers and are exactly the same;

Computer 1:
Macbook Pro Mid2010 i5 8gb 250gt SSD
OS X Sierra and all updates installed. Fresh Sierra install made few moths ago.

For comparison, I'm running Logic Pro X 10.3... and Ableton Live 9 with 30+ tracks and loads of effects without any hickups or cpu running over 70%

Computer 2:
Asus Asrog g20something gen 4? i5 8gb 250gt SSD, 1Tb hd
Windows 10 clean install made some time last year and all updates installed.

For comparison, I'm running Ableton Live 9 with
30+ tracks and loads of effects without any hickups or cpu running over 50%.

As you're now aware - and for anyone else who hasn't checked on the Tracktion/Waveform forum - this is a known problem they're trying to isolate.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

aMUSEd wrote:
jabe wrote:
Yes they do sell their other new ones (eg the FX collection) so I guess this is likely, perhaps they are waiting till the bugs are ironed out, it still has some 'rough edges' - for example in hosts other than Waveform it doesn't correctly expose some automation params at the moment.
I believe the plan is also to add a shedload of user controls.

Downloaded the demo. Somehow the daw is too messy and difficult to do some simple tasks so it's not for me. Maybe with time and manual it'd be possible to get the most out of it but my expectation for a daw is that I can do basic stuff with it, without reading the manual.

Distorted Horizon wrote:Downloaded the demo. Somehow the daw is too messy and difficult to do some simple tasks so it's not for me. Maybe with time and manual it'd be possible to get the most out of it but my expectation for a daw is that I can do basic stuff with it, without reading the manual.
I wonder how long you spent learning your other ones.

I really like the general direction that that Tracktion is moving in. Having not tried Tracktion in a long time, here is what I like at a glimpse from the videos that I have seen:

- Linux support, and running on rpi. The possibilities...!
- Collective. It seems like I have been waiting forever for someone to do a nice integrated sampler and synth. Make it a 3rd party plugin! I am not interested in plugins that are chained to a particular daw.
- Cosmetics. It does look pretty sweet, in a clean vector way.
- Rack, modular effects routing.
- Modulation and automation.

And what I could not care less about:

- Melodyne integration. I don't see any practical uses for it other than tuned vocals, and I'm so tired of hearing tuned vocals.
- Automated composition tools. This seems to be another modern trend, and I would prefer to see something leaning more in the direction of composition education and automation.
- Marketing videos. I did learn of some features, but I would prefer a bit of depth. This one told me absolutely nothing:

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FspA-cj1lM 
- Biotek, Waverazor, and anything of the like. That stuff reminds me of Synplant and Zebra's waveform modifers. If I don't have a pretty immediate logical grasp of what is going on under the hood of it, I don't want to deal with it as a tool.

And come concerns:

- Mentions of performance and stability issues. Someone else mentioned being spoiled by Reaper, and I have to agree.
- Audio editing power. Again, spoiled by Reaper.
- Included sample sets in Collective. I have no idea what is included, but it should include some respectable quality acoustic instruments such as a few types of acoustic drum kits, percussion, piano, rhodes, vibes, and some fundamental orchestral stuff. That may be a stretch at the price, but a sampler isn't too attractive without some decent instruments. But if Tracktion gets it together here, Collective and a good basic sample library could help in attracting some Reason and Logic users as well as users who want something easier to swallow than Kontact/Komplete.
- Custom shortcut keys and macros. I have no idea where Tracktion is in this area, but I think that it is about time that every piece of modern software has these features.

Kudos for Collective. Greatest upgrade ever.

jabe wrote:
Distorted Horizon wrote:Downloaded the demo. Somehow the daw is too messy and difficult to do some simple tasks so it's not for me. Maybe with time and manual it'd be possible to get the most out of it but my expectation for a daw is that I can do basic stuff with it, without reading the manual.
Well Ableton, Bitwig, Reaper, Reason and FLS didn't require me to open the manual to get a basic piece together.

Distorted Horizon wrote:
jabe wrote:
Well Ableton, Bitwig, Reaper, Reason and FLS didn't require me to open the manual to get a basic piece together.
Fair enough then, sounds like it's best, as you say, for you to stick with what you know.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”