cubase 9

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

incubus wrote:Nothing dense about that.

It's an obvious choice, but I'm not always sure what kind of drums I'm going to use. Having something like GA and EZD with multi outs in every template would be ... messy :lol:
This may make you shake your head...
I have a couple of templates with GrooveAgent4, Jamstix and HALion Sonic (loaded with various drums from Treibwerk etc) with every output activated and named and routed to appropriate groups.
When I use the template it takes 1 key press (F11) and 4 mouse clicks to remove the 2 drum plugins I won't be using.
I've also saved a stack of mixer presets for use with each plugin.
I set them up when waiting for inspiration...

incubus wrote:Sorry, I mean a track preset. The "manual" states this:
Multi-Track Presets

You can use multi-track presets, for example, when recording setups that require several microphones (a drum set or a choir, where you always record under the same conditions) and you have to edit the resulting tracks in a similar way. Furthermore, they can be used when working with layered tracks, where you use several tracks to generate a certain sound instead of manipulating only one track.

If you select more than one track when creating a track preset, the settings of all selected tracks are saved as one multi-track preset. Multi-track presets can only be applied if the target tracks are of the same type, number, and sequence as the tracks in the track preset, therefore, they should be used in recurring situations with similar tracks and settings.
I might be completely wrong, but the way I read this is: if you want to save a track preset of layering, for example FM8+Razor+OnePingOnly, they have to be the same track type. Or 8 audio tracks for a specific recording setup.

I'm not in front of the DAW now, but I don't think there's any problem saving a track preset of, for example, a Kontakt instance with multi-outs (with your preferred config)

Googly Smythe wrote:
incubus wrote:Nothing dense about that.

It's an obvious choice, but I'm not always sure what kind of drums I'm going to use. Having something like GA and EZD with multi outs in every template would be ... messy :lol:
This may make you shake your head...
I have a couple of templates with GrooveAgent4, Jamstix and HALion Sonic (loaded with various drums from Treibwerk etc) with every output activated and named and routed to appropriate groups.
When I use the template it takes 1 key press (F11) and 4 mouse clicks to remove the 2 drum plugins I won't be using.
I've also saved a stack of mixer presets for use with each plugin.
I set them up when waiting for inspiration...
I'm shaking my head! :o

:hihi:

Ok, this is the same thing I grumble about with VE Pro. I want to save any size, incl. real small channel sets and when I insert one I want the automation map with it. Aaaaaand no, Automation Map is empty (because it's married to the number in the slot, it's not quite abstract). So I have to save a 'Project' for that. A Template essentially.

Sometimes, cubase does have a mind of it's own :shrug:

Tried to "export" some files, came up without the fx (in the track) printed. Reopen it, do the exact same thing, it's fine :shrug:

:shrug:

Sometimes, I open the "empty" file and the metronome is on. Next time, it's off :shrug: Sometimes, the inputs are correct, sometimes, it's blank and I have to use F4 to set :shrug:

I'm about 80% sold on it so far. I love bitwig. I really do, but for all the things it's great at, I get a bit limited in arranging and think "man, I miss the old linear hosts" :hihi:

It's elegant though, so far, it's been a breeze.

incubus wrote:Sometimes, cubase does have a mind of it's own :shrug:

Tried to "export" some files, came up without the fx (in the track) printed. Reopen it, do the exact same thing, it's fine :shrug:

Sometimes, I open the "empty" file and the metronome is on. Next time, it's off :shrug: Sometimes, the inputs are correct, sometimes, it's blank and I have to use F4 to set :shrug:

I'm about 80% sold on it so far. I love bitwig. I really do, but for all the things it's great at, I get a bit limited in arranging and think "man, I miss the old linear hosts" :hihi:

Time to call in the exorcists - you have ghosts in your machine! :D

Cubase definitely does have some oddities and spiderwebs hidden away that can be hard to put an exact finger on. However, when something is rough around the edges in Cubase, its usually not something critical, which is why I can forgive its many minor flaws.

IMO, coming from Bitwig I very much found the MixConsole style of mixing to be the secret weapon of Cubase. Relying on the mix console instead of VSTs most of the time drastically increases the speed at which I can mix. This way of doing things isn't available in creative oriented DAWs like Bitwig. Not to say Bitwig is inferior, its just geared towards a different type of workflow that I personally didn't find productive in the long run.

Different strokes and all that :tu:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Googly Smythe wrote:
incubus wrote:Sometimes, cubase does have a mind of it's own :shrug:

Time to call in the exorcists - you have ghosts in your machine! :D
Nah, it's just my luck :hihi:

Sounds like preferences files corruption, the usual trash your preferences type of deal to me.

jancivil wrote:Sounds like preferences files corruption, the usual trash your preferences type of deal to me.
Does that work for doze as well? I'll google it.

Edit, yeah, there are couple of approaches. Worth trying for sure.

Donno, when Cubase does inexplicable shit that's what I do. Sometimes it still happens and it's a bug or it's restart the computer. Sometimes I think it's my system is just not optimal.

I had a tam tam I'd just installed, I know what it does. LONG-ass samples and it was being cut off shortly after attack. Cutting it off but smooth like it was being choked by hand. Restart the computer time. WEIRD.

incubus wrote:Very surprised about this, but my evidence seems to point to some constraints for multi-out stuff like ezdrummer. You can save the ezdrummer preset, but you can't save the mulit-outs with it? (something about same tracks only can be saved as a preset)

Is that true? I've got those tracks memorized (which does what) but still, kinda weird if true.
Maybe use track archives instead, it contains both possible routings to a drums bus if you want. So a multi out VST is fine, and as many tracks as you want.

Create an archive from a project to reuse - all track or just some, then select what tracks from archive to import at another time.
I usually specialize drums as one template to reuse. One for brass section etc named in ways that are easy to figure out.

Importing tracks from other projects is useful too, if you don't need a lot of routings to go with it. Archives keep routings between tracks as well.

Track presets, all kinds, is a bit weird as they are made. So many constraints you need to keep in your head if to reuse them - once loaded you cannot remove and things like that. Who comes up with shit like that. I find it useless that way.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Yeah, hosts, what are they good for? Absolutely nothing :hihi:

(I know, more levity for someone to get upset about :lol: )

So, what happens with track archives is that only the ezdmidi midi track comes up in the import. There is a window that allows you to select what you want, but again, it's just the one track.

Appreciate the help.

Only Instrument tracks works for track archives for the actual instruments also to be restored.

When using Instrument Racks, or Rack Instruments - don't know which was correct name - instruments in slots are not available in archive. Clear disadvantage, but got acustomed to using Instrument Tracks now, and they are multi out as well since if it was v7.5.

You can still use separate midi tracks and assign to an instrument track as you want. But a little easier if just wanting one instrument and midi to that.

Always felt that naming of stuff in Cubase is a horrow story by itself.

Instrument Tracks - contains instrument, possible midi and audio outputs, one or many. Other midi tracks may be assigned to play on that instrument as well.

Instrument Racks - a slot is used to store instrument in the rack, and separate midi tracks have to exist and be assigned to this instrument. Can be multi out audio as well. (Been a while since I used it so I forgot how to).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”