Studio One 3.5 Released.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

incubus wrote:This is ridiculous.

Look Hink, You don't like me. What woodsdenis said is correct. I can't win.

And here's another point, even if I was gone, the same fanbois are going to give the next person a hard time too :shrug:

As mentioned, I said positive things in this thread. Hink and others just ignore that.

Ontol, did EXACTLY THE SAME THING in the slate thread. Hypocrite. I've seen more slate-hate threads than I can remember. Nobody cares about that.

Anyways, I'm out. I can't win, the hypocrisy is f**king out of control and MY ONLY MOTIVATION IS I BELIEVE THE COMPANY DOESN'T TREAT IT'S CUSTOMERS WELL.

you imagine I dont like you, it's quite convenient though, you started this when once I dared agree with someone other than you (well hibidy) and then like everyone I was out to get you (I know many wondered why I stood by hibidy like I did back in the day). It's time for it to stop this "poor pitiful me" crap as you do it it with more people than just me. I am tired of it, I am tired of complaints about you trolling and in this case I merely suggested that perhaps you should give it a rest.

Dont take my advice, but dont complain when people get on you for crying out loud, you bring it on yourself. This time around there hasn't been a report about you but jeez we get enough, so dont put this on me.

just for the record...two reports filed by users in this thread, both against incubus both different posters...just saying :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

woodsdenis wrote:
EnGee wrote:Yes this is what I do regarding the multi-core. I'm disabling the ones in the plugins.
I have a mid range cpu (in my desktop), but it is more than enough with the new CPU optimizations :D
Interestingly 5 note chord Diva init/devine 23% 5 note chord Diva init/devine Multi ON 10%
This is what I want! Some tests from other systems ;)

I think there is a noticeable difference between Windows and Mac S1. Actually, it is always has been like that!

Anyway, going back to 'practical' talks, I did try about three or four kinds of configurations (this is the same i5-4570 Windows 10 64bit with Presonus iTwo ASIO driver (latest). Oh and always with 44.1 kHz sample rate ;)

1. Power options: Balanced, Buffer 128 (or 256 the same!), enabling the multi-thread or multi-core in Diva, Bazille and Dune 2 make S1 CPU spikes a lot.

2. Power options: High Performance, the same as above, also makes S1 CPU spikes but little bit less than in the first config.

3. Power options: Balanced buffer 128 with disabling multi-thread or multi-core in the three mentioned VSTi, very rare spikes

4. Power options: High performance with buffer 64 with multi-core disabled in the three VSTi, no spikes at all!

Now, I tried some of these variations in Cubase 9. Disabling the multi threads in Diva is a disaster! Unusable really for heavy patches. This is with High performance power options and buffer 64 and 128. Enabling the multi-thread or core in the VSTi in Cubase has great results (similar to S1, but seems little bit more CPU when disabling Multi in VSTi in S1).

My conclusion about using S1/Cubase with my system is: The best results in S1 v3.5 are achieved by disabling multi-thread/core in the VSTi while in Cubase it is the opposite. High Performance power options with 64 buffer (44.1 kHz sample rate) is working great even with hungry CPU VSTi like Diva and Bazille :D

What I see is a major release which is bound to have some niggles. Always good to wait out hotfixes before commiting or thread bashing as it always happens on the Interwebs.

Seems as though the benefit of the doubt is thrown out the window 1 second after the release of just about everything software these days. Even if one reports something works they can branded as fanbois by the same posters over and over again.

So far I haven't hit a snag with the update but then again I'm not pushing it to the hilt(like some of the heavywieights around here). If it is giving you heartaches post a bug report and wait to see if it's addressed. If isn't addressed than by all means keep up the pressure.

Also Professionals who count on Studio One should keep the previous version and not update then you wont lose anything and finish your work. In this day and age you still can't trust your software to work perfectly(no matter the sales pitch or confidence) out the box after a major update such as this is.

CTStump wrote:
So far I haven't hit a snag with the update but then again I'm not pushing it to the hilt(like some of the heavywieights around here). . . . .
Same here, haven't really had a problem, other than having to edit the settings for my midi keyboard after the update, which seemed to affect quite a few, no biggie though. Excellent update
CTStump wrote:
Also Professionals who count on Studio One should keep the previous version and not update then you wont lose anything and finish your work. In this day and age you still can't trust your software to work perfectly(no matter the sales pitch or confidence) out the box after a major update such as this
Indeed, or just install the new version along side the old and have both (or more) versions available.
Say NO to CLAP!

woodsdenis wrote:The host can only destribute one plugin to a core, multicore support in DAWs means balancing that load of individual plugins over the available cores, with Diva and Dune 2 using multi core always makes the CPU better not worse. I will check in S1 but I am sure that is the case here. If not then it's an issue with S1 ability to balance the load across the cores.
Studio One always uses one core per channel or instrument. It will not distribute the CPU load of one instrument instance over several cores.
woodsdenis wrote:Interestingly 5 note chord Diva init/devine 23% 5 note chord Diva init/devine Multi ON 10%
23% and 10% measured where?

EnGee wrote:My conclusion about using S1/Cubase with my system is: The best results in S1 v3.5 are achieved by disabling multi-thread/core in the VSTi while in Cubase it is the opposite. High Performance power options with 64 buffer (44.1 kHz sample rate) is working great even with hungry CPU VSTi like Diva and Bazille :D
With the current double buffer behavior in 3.5 it's important to mention if you have dropout protection enabled and if your are monitoring the instrument you test. Else it could be the instrument is running at a much larger buffer :wink:

daw.one wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:The host can only destribute one plugin to a core, multicore support in DAWs means balancing that load of individual plugins over the available cores, with Diva and Dune 2 using multi core always makes the CPU better not worse. I will check in S1 but I am sure that is the case here. If not then it's an issue with S1 ability to balance the load across the cores.
Studio One always uses one core per channel or instrument. It will not distribute the CPU load of one instrument instance over several cores.
woodsdenis wrote:Interestingly 5 note chord Diva init/devine 23% 5 note chord Diva init/devine Multi ON 10%
On S1 performance meter. As for previous comment you are just reiterating my point ?
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:As for previous comment you are just reiterating my point ?
If you are saying Studio One itself is not able to divide the load of an instrument across several cores, yes.
woodsdenis wrote:
daw.one wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
On S1 performance meter.
It's not interesting then, it just makes sense because Studio One's performance meter shows the current highest taxed core. So when multi processing is disabled in the instrument, Studio One will manage the processing and will assign processing for Diva to one single core (that previous point). However when multiprocessing is enabled on the instrument, the instrument balances his own load across all the available cores in the system.

daw.one wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:As for previous comment you are just reiterating my point ?
If you are saying Studio One itself is not able to divide the load of an instrument across several cores, yes.
woodsdenis wrote:
daw.one wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
On S1 performance meter.
It's not interesting then, it just makes sense because Studio One's performance meter shows the current highest taxed core. So when multi processing is disabled in the instrument, Studio One will manage the processing and will assign processing for Diva to one single core (that previous point). However when multiprocessing is enabled on the instrument, the instrument balances his own load across all the available cores in the system.
It is valid as I was addressing EnGee issue with the load being higher with Multi on across all cores, hence his issue. We are not debating that Diva will show a lower rating in Multi as its being spread out across the cores.It may be the case that in S1 the multicore balancing on his system is different to mine IDK. The point of the exercise was to try what another user does and to try and replicate it which I couldn't.
Mac Studio

woodsdenis wrote:
daw.one wrote:It's not interesting then, it just makes sense(...)
It is valid as I was addressing EnGee issue with the load being higher with Multi on across all cores, hence his issue.
Sorry, I don't mean it's not valid. What I meant to say is that it's "self-evident" instead "interesting" the Studio One meter shows a lower value when multi processing is used by the instrument itself because the highest taxed core is only processing the instrument partially then (your 10%).

daw.one wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
It is valid as I was addressing EnGee issue with the load being higher with Multi on across all cores, hence his issue.
Sorry, I don't mean it's not valid. What I meant to say is that it's "self-evident" instead "interesting" the Studio One meter shows a lower value when multi processing is used by the instrument itself because the highest taxed core is only processing the instrument partially then (your 10%).
Fair enough Peace :D

I have to say a fair bit into this demo of 3.5 there is a lot to like, the workflow is great, always liked the automation. We all know where it shines.

But

It crashes way too often, not unusable, but compared to the competition way to regularly. I do use VSTI but I transform as I go as a habit, so am not pushing it. It needs to be more stable to compete with other Mac Daws. IMHO of course. The frustrating thing is what its good at is superb but theres nothing that kills its excellent workflow than crashing. As for the FAT channel, the compressor models are nothing like what they claim to "copy". Release times are all wrong. Doesn't mean its bad but don't just stick a fancy GUI on something for the sake of it.

There still seems like a failure in the Presonus team about Mac software development underlined by the disastrous launch bug with initial scanning of VST 2. Plus side is its definitely better than the initial 3 release.
Mac Studio

woodsdenis wrote:
daw.one wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
Fair enough Peace :D

I have to say a fair bit into this demo of 3.5 there is a lot to like, the workflow is great, always liked the automation. We all know where it shines.

But

It crashes way too often, not unusable, but compared to the competition way to regularly. I do use VSTI but I transform as I go as a habit, so am not pushing it. It needs to be more stable to compete with other Mac Daws. IMHO of course. The frustrating thing is what its good at is superb but theres nothing that kills its excellent workflow than crashing. As for the FAT channel, the compressor models are nothing like what they claim to "copy". Release times are all wrong. Doesn't mean its bad but don't just stick a fancy GUI on something for the sake of it.

There still seems like a failure in the Presonus team about Mac software development underlined by the disastrous launch bug with initial scanning of VST 2. Plus side is its definitely better than the initial 3 release.
The crashes are most likely from 3rd party plug-ins not playing well with S1. This is known for all the DAWs out there. Reason is going through this issue as we speak. Until S1 tracks down all the problems, it will continue to be like that from varies sources of coding from 3rd party developers.

I hope they consider sandboxing or some other way to keep 3rd party plug-ins from crashing everything. The only solution for now is tracking down which plug-in is the culprit and remove it from your list until it's resolved.

Of course it shouldn't behave like I mentioned. That was also the case before the update to v3.5. Enabling the multi-core feature in the VSTi has a negative effect on the CPU usage, so something is wrong with S1 in Windows 10 (at least in my system! As non one is confirming what I have!!). I have all other DAWs behaving as it should be (lower CPU when enabling multi-thread or multi-core in the Vsti).

The good thing about the new update is they got the CPU usage (except above) right. Anyway, I couldn't find the option to disable/enable multi-core in S1 options! Have they removed it?
I'll try to duplicate what I have in my laptop (also Win 10) and see.

There was a crash when I changed the CPU protection kind in the list. Is that supposed to be like ASIO Guard in Cubase?

EnGee wrote:Of course it shouldn't behave like I mentioned. That was also the case before the update to v3.5. Enabling the multi-core feature in the VSTi has a negative effect on the CPU usage, so something is wrong with S1 in Windows 10 (at least in my system! As non one is confirming what I have!!). I have all other DAWs behaving as it should be (lower CPU when enabling multi-thread or multi-core in the Vsti).
That's weird, I thought it was generally recommended not to enable multicore features in plugins when the DAW is handling that because sometimes they can clash? Both NI and u-he advise turning it off in such cases, or at least provide the option to do so (some DAWS do seem to cope with it better than others but that may be more to do with limitations in how they handle multicore - either way this isn't entirely unexpected behaviour)

Here's a new scripted dedicated toolbar if anyone wants it. Put the tracktools.package file in the Studio One application \scripts folder (Mac or PC) and restart Studio One. It's accessed from a new Tt button on the main toolbar.

Download Track Tools Toolbar

- Store and Recall Five Snapshots: Faders, pans, mutes, solo, solo save. It only currently works on audio or midi tracks with media clips on them. Snapshots do not yet save with songs, they're more for use global use in any session.

- Faders to Unity or Infinity or Pans to Center (all tracks)

- A few handy track naming functions that work on selected tracks.

As someone who is not a fan of the new global undo (losing mixer tweaks when undoing arrange edits) the fader and snapshots helps me a lot.

As usual, enjoy, or not.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”