Reason 10 incoming

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

jonljacobi wrote:Okay, sorry to be obtuse, but where are the zoom function and the "Scale and Layout" option?
What version of Windows are you on?

In Windows 10, to "zoom" you just hold in the Windows key and hit "+" to zoom in and "-" to zoom out. You can change how much you zoom and out in the Magnifyer toolbar options that appears when you activate it.

For scaling apps automatically, that's under your Display Settings under "Scale and Layout". I find that 125% works great on 28" 1080p monitors. YMMV.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oh, I was thinking I was missing something within the program! Thanks. I use old IBM keyboards so I don't have a Windows key. And I run 125% on a 24-inch, 1920 by 1200 display and still find much of the interface too tiny. Constantly zooming in and out isn't something I really like to do.

jonljacobi wrote:Oh, I was thinking I was missing something within the program! Thanks. I use old IBM keyboards so I don't have a Windows key. And I run 125% on a 24-inch, 1920 by 1200 display and still find much of the interface too tiny. Constantly zooming in and out isn't something I really like to do.
No problem. I'm not sure how you would expect this to be addressed then, since zooming seems like it would specifically address your particular visual accessibility issue. That said, if 125% on an old fashioned HD monitor is still too small for you, have you tried kicking it up to 150%? That literally makes a Reason 9U device almost fill the entire screen:
150_percent_scale.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
jonljacobi wrote:Oh, I was thinking I was missing something within the program! Thanks. I use old IBM keyboards so I don't have a Windows key. And I run 125% on a 24-inch, 1920 by 1200 display and still find much of the interface too tiny. Constantly zooming in and out isn't something I really like to do.
No problem. I'm not sure how you would expect this to be addressed then, since zooming seems like it would specifically address your particular visual accessibility issue. That said, if 125% on an old fashioned HD monitor is still too small for you, have you tried kicking it up to 150%? That literally makes a Reason 9U device almost fill the entire screen:
I don't know if @jonljacobi has the same problem as me, but it's not exactly about size of menus & devices, but rather about the detail that's not in there. You can zoom e.g. the Redrum as much as you want, but it won't change the fact - and actually will highlight - the fact that certain buttons are made of literally few pixels. It looks very blurry, especially if you switch between DAWs that do it right, e.g. Bitwig or Studio One and the open Reason:

100%
redrum.jpg
150%
redrum_150%.jpg
As I said already: I like the aesthetic, because this is what sets Reason apart, but they need to update the bitmaps to 4K screens.

Also, working with a magnifying glass is really not a good, sustainable solution :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I have terrible eyesight (including at present a cataract) but on my iMac 21” it all looks stunning. Can read it all.
That said, I also think there is a lot to be said for REALLY learning the instruments, so that you don’t need to read the button labels anyway. And I think that, historically at least, that was really a part of the Reason paradigm too - a contained software where you really dug deep into the instruments (front and back).

(no harm in them updating the resolution though - it’s a good request!)

headquest wrote:I have terrible eyesight (including at present a cataract) but on my iMac 21” it all looks stunning.
Can you post a screenshot at full resolution? I wouldn't be surprised if it worked better on Mac, since the range of possible resolutions and screen sizes is narrower there than in the PC world, so the devs can optimise it better. I've seen this with Ableton Live, can be the case here as well.
Music tech enthusiast

EDIT: added screenshot below via external hosting...

Last edited by headquest on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
I don't know if @jonljacobi has the same problem as me, but it's not exactly about size of menus & devices, but rather about the detail that's not in there. You can zoom e.g. the Redrum as much as you want, but it won't change the fact - and actually will highlight - the fact that certain buttons are made of literally few pixels. It looks very blurry, especially if you switch between DAWs that do it right, e.g. Bitwig or Studio One and the open Reason:

100%
redrum.jpg
150%
redrum_150%.jpg
As I said already: I like the aesthetic, because this is what sets Reason apart, but they need to update the bitmaps to 4K screens.

Also, working with a magnifying glass is really not a good, sustainable solution :D
Oh you'll get no complaints from me regarding the need for higher resolution GUI/UX. I think it's long overdue and I've been complaining about this at every beta test since 6.0. I just think the ability to work in it, now, as it is, has options that are quite usable. For instance, in the two screen grabs you posted above, I literally see no issue with using the devices. Sure, it's fuzzier than it should be and clearly highlights the fact that it's not HD, but it's still quite usable IMHO. But obviously, everyone's mileage may vary (especially when we're accustomed to using GUI/UX in devices like - say for instance - Spire, Serum, or Avenger at 150%). In Reason, the difference between those and rack device resolution is laughable!
Last edited by EnochLight on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here’s the screenshot from my iMac 21"

headquest wrote:Here’s the screenshot from my iMac 21"
Thanks, looks the same - similarly pixelated - on Surface Pro 4, so at least I know OSX users don't have an upper hand ;)

And this is here is exact complaint - if only the fonts & graphical elements of the Rack, Mixer and Sequencer were like as sharp as the handle bars between the areas, there would be no issue at all:
sharp vs. blurry.png
Music tech enthusiast

EnochLight wrote:Oh you'll get no complaints from me regarding the need for higher resolution GUI/UX. I think it's long overdue and I've been complaining about this at every beta test since 6.0. I just think the ability to work in it, now, as it is, has options that are quite usable. For instance, in the two screen grabs you posted above, I literally see no issue with using the devices. Sure, it's fuzzier than it should be and clearly highlights the fact that it's not HD, but it's still quite usable IMHO. But obviously, everyone's mileage may vary (especially when we're accustomed to using GUI/UX in devices like - say for instance - Spire, Serum, or Avenger at 150%). In Reason, the difference between those and rack device resolution is laughable!
Yes, I fully agree! It is workable, especially once you get to know the devices, but - as you said - as soon as you flick between other aplications, DAWs or VSTs it becomes immediately clear something's wrong.

What's worse, I really see no reason why it's not been fixed yet? Even if someone was doing that by hand in MS Paint, they'd have updated those faceplates long time ago. I don't think it'd be necessary to change the underlying logic (how Reason distinguishes which knob/slider was clicked and moved) because it has to scale that already and the relative placement of the elements wouldn't change...

Still, I enjoy using it, but hope this gets fixed soon :)
Music tech enthusiast

It's a lot of work when you start redoing bitmaps for various resolutions. I can understand why'd they'd like to do other things, and, the "real analog gear" analogy is kind of their thing and I can understand why they would be loathe to ditch it.

But even if they don't redo bitmaps, they could simply let you scale within the program. Not optimal in terms of appearance, but workable as a short-term solution and fine for the recording portion. I don't want to mess around with my main resolution simply for one program because I use a lot of others.

Because of the vast disparity of resolutions available, scalable is kind of where it's headed these days. And GPUs draw and resize simple bitmaps way more than fast enough these days so you can make it look real nice. And yes, I remember when you used bitmaps for visual performance.
Last edited by jonljacobi on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote:
headquest wrote:Here’s the screenshot from my iMac 21"
Thanks, looks the same - similarly pixelated - on Surface Pro 4, so at least I know OSX users don't have an upper hand ;)

And this is here is exact complaint - if only the fonts & graphical elements of the Rack, Mixer and Sequencer were like as sharp as the handle bars between the areas, there would be no issue at all:
sharp vs. blurry.png
You're comparing the vector lines of live fonts (drawn live to the current screen resolution) with the bitmaps of the GUI's custom elements that were originally drawn for Reason version 1-4, etc., which looked fine when 1024x768 was considered "high resolution". Propellerhead need to redraw/rerender their bitmaps larger and replace bitmap text fields with live font rendering. So far, they've not bothered to do so, or they haven't mentioned the work they're currently doing on it, despite users asking for it for years now. I'll tell you, as a designer, it's not simple work... but it also doesn't take as long as they're taking to get to it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

pekbro wrote:I think the main benefit will be to those who prefer the Reason workflow
in general. Much like any other DAW, native devices are going to perform
quite a lot better than VST. In this regard, I think Reason has a very nice
advantage compared to most DAWs. Infact, I can think of only a few that
can really even compete with it, in that area.

So if you're only mildly into Reason, sure the upgrade doesn't make as
much sense to you. However, if you are an avid fan of Reason, then VST will
mostly be viewed as supplemental, placing a higher value on native devices.

And as has been said, the Granular Implementation, is quite unique. To say
that you can counter it with other available VST based solutions, is simply
not true.

That said, I am in no hurry to upgrade, although I will before long, no doubt.
It depends on how long, I want to wait for a better deal than the $110 vendor
price.

-Cheers
I totally agree, there are a lot of people who like the "in-the-box" approach that is possible with Reason, and having some more ammo in that box is good :)

But yeah, some nice black Friday deal on the upgrade will be much welcomed

Yeah I agree, lol :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”