FL Studio 12.9 Beta (inc. Time Signatures and macOS)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Welcome to FL Studio 12.9 BETA. We are excited to start rolling out the features for the next major release of FL Studio, including: Time Signatures, completely reworked APDC, more Mixer Tracks and there's many more new features to come...

WINDOWS

Get the Windows Installer Here

MAC

Get the macOS Installer Here

WHAT'S NEW
  • Automatic PDC - Automatic PDC should now work for all normal use-cases (please report issues). We still need to fix these cases: Multi-out plugins, Multiple generators feeding a single Mixer track, each with different latencies and the wet/dry mix knob on FX slots. These should be resolved in coming betas.
    • Automatic PDC now works with Generators.
    • APDC applies to inter-track routing and side-chains.
    • Manual and Auto-PDC can now co-exist. Manual PDC is applied as an offset to Auto PDC.
    • Manual PDC - Negative values - delay the selected track, positive values - delay all other tracks.
    • There's a new audio input delay control on the INPUT menu to fix latency issues with individual audio inputs.
    • PDC icons now light orange when a track reports latency, not when it's delayed (as before). This will help you to quickly identify PDC inducing plugins.
  • DirectWave - A Zone's loop type can now be set for all selected Zones at once. New 'Copy to selected zones' option for some Zone parameters
  • Fruity Reeverb - Is now a 64 Bit FL plugin.
  • GUI - The 'Song/Pat' switch is a placeholder. The main purpose at the moment is to show you are using the FL Studio Beta. We are working on converting all tool panels to 1-unit high to allow for a more streamlined tool-bar for those who want it. More later...
  • Help - FL now uses the online version of the help file. You can download an offline version here (although FL 12.9 won't open this anymore).
  • Mixer - Increased to 125 Mixer tracks. You will get a lot more later, if you are good. Rather than fill the mixer with 500+ tracks, we need to implement a system to dynamically add-as-you-need.
  • Patcher - Reduced memory usage.
  • Playlist - Improved visibility of Clip borders in Solid view mode. This one's for you Kaitav...guys are we overselling this? I had a look and I think we need to turn it up some more.
  • Time Signature Support - Playlist, Piano roll, Project Settings and Time Markers. Right-click Time-markers and select 'Time signature'. Shift+Alt+T to set time-signatures over a selected time-range. Use the on Pattern Clip Menu 'Use current time signature' to set a time-signature based on Playlist position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbDbza0VKoA
  • Plugin manager - Locating plugins is faster, in some cases
  • Sampler Channels - Legacy precomputed effects are back. New: Playback - 'Start offset' (automatable), will get a position visualization in the next update. Precomputed - 'Sample start', and 'Length' effects.
  • Tap tempo - Sync option for tempo tap is now off by default.
  • Unicode Text - Most FL plugins now support unicode characters when exchanging filenames and other text with FL Studio.
  • ZGE Visualizer - Layers can be collapsed. Buffered layers are more obvious now. New 'SplinePeaks' effect.
Last edited by Image-Line on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Awesome!
Eager to give it a spin :)
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Time signatures!

jonljacobi wrote:Time signatures!
Yeah. Finally. The professional feature, which will draw thousands of sophisticated classical and progressive rock producers towards FL Studio. Or will it? :oops:

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Or maybe even just people who enjoy 3/4, a nice waltz, will be more attracted

jancivil wrote:Or maybe even just people who enjoy 3/4, a nice waltz, will be more attracted
Which, AFAIK, has always been possible in FL Studio.

Did you fix this bug where one couldn't disable the vst3 plugin scan? I'd like to use a new FL Studio version but this keeps me from updating since it got it me in trouble with many plugins.

chk071 wrote:
jancivil wrote:Or maybe even just people who enjoy 3/4, a nice waltz, will be more attracted
Not consistently in the normal way where "3/4" necessarily applies to your idea which _is_ necessarily 3/4, no.
I'm not going to get into the weeds here from your gainsaying my passing snark though. Useless mindfuggery.

Thanks )

Gregorius wrote:Did you fix this bug where one couldn't disable the vst3 plugin scan? I'd like to use a new FL Studio version but this keeps me from updating since it got it me in trouble with many plugins.
I am not aware of this issue. Please use Looptalk or Technical support to discuss it...

http://support.image-line.com/redirect/TechSupport

http://support.image-line.com/redirect/LoopTalk

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

jancivil wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Not consistently in the normal way where "3/4" necessarily applies to your idea which _is_ necessarily 3/4, no.
I'm not going to get into the weeds here from your gainsaying my passing snark though. Useless mindfuggery.

Since the day one, way back in Fruity Loops 4, you could work in whatever time signature you want and working with multiple different time signatures, working with polyrhythms and working with irrational time signatures, if you wanted to.
Setting global time signature has been always "hidden", but you could set global time in project settings to whatever time signature you want (Options/Project General Settings) and change it to whatever you want.

It's been there since the day one for 10+ years.
Only people who were dumb and lazy enough and never even went going through options kept claiming how Fruity Loops and later on FL Studio was only working in 4/4, or in this case you claiming the same thing about 3/4, while it's been there since the day one:

However, the main problem, which people who don't have a clue about rhythms, was when working with 2 and more different time signatures. People were confused because main bars and their numbers in playlist wouldn't match the lengths of clips/patterns.
This, nothing but a graphical issue and them being clueless, lead them into thinking how it's impossible to work with multiple time signatures, because following the logic of a stupid clueless person, if the main bars in playlist don't match the length of pattern/clips that things don't work at all.

To illustrate it simple:
If global time signature was set to 4/4 and you needed 9/8 pattern/clip, idiots were thinking and think even nowadays that if bars in playlist don't match the length of 9/8 pattern/clip that their song is not in 9/8 time signature when that 9/8 pattern/clip plays, they think that the global time signature has to be changed to 9/8 as well. Throughout years it's been like explaining to a monkey what Space Shuttle is.

In reality, even if the global time signature was set to 4/4, you can work with different time signatures, polyrhythms and irrational time signatures if you want to, the only thing you need to do is to ignore useless main bars in playlist that don't mean a thing whatsoever.
This is more than easy to understand if you want to work with polyrhythms. No matter what DAW, you simply need to ignore main bars in playlist because not a single DAW will present polyrhythms correctly and for people who are fluent in working with different time signatures they don't need none of that shit in the first place.

So, this update is not about bringing time signatures in FL Studio, it's just about fixing graphical issue in displaying main bars in playlist to match the length of pattern/clips while working with multiple time signatures and literally nothing else. Whoever wanted to work with multiple time signatures, polyrhythms and even irrational time signatures could have done it even 10+ years ago and changing the global time signature has been there since the day one. My memory is betraying me, but iirc even when Fruity Loops was nothing but a drum machine you could change global time signature.

AstroCastro wrote:it's just about fixing graphical issue in displaying main bars in playlist to match the length of pattern/clips while working with multiple time signatures and literally nothing else.
... well and the Metronome downbeat. Indeed Time signatures are 'just' a GUI thing. Now FL Studio has that GUI thing ;)

Regards Scott

Image-Line wrote: ... well and the Metronome downbeat.
I'd argue this and accented &'uhs is just as important if not more than
Time signatures are 'just' a GUI thing.
But hey, progress!
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

AstroCastro wrote:
jancivil wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Since the day one, way back in Fruity Loops 4, you could work in whatever time signature you want and working with multiple different time signatures, working with polyrhythms and working with irrational time signatures, if you wanted to.
I wonder why the developers deemed it necessary to do this normally, for a sea change. I said I wasn't going to get into the weeds here and I'm not. That's all pretty insanely in some weeds, if you enjoy that shit, good for you.

"No matter what DAW, you simply need to ignore main bars in playlist because not a single DAW will present polyrhythms correctly"
:lol: That's some very special pleading and a type of sophistry to make something which isn't normal seem as useful (even normative) as things which are. Sure, you can simply ignore bars and beats altogether and figure some way around it for that matter. "project" is in 4/4 and you're in 9/8. Rather than the actually simple matter of 9 meaning beats and 8 meaning 8th note duration for beats, FFS. That's what 'time signature' refers to, in the world. And that's the very limit of my interest in wasting time with you. They made it work normally, there is no point to this shit at all now.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Image-Line wrote: Time signatures are 'just' a GUI thing.
hey, progress!
I won't soon forget that post. It's like a great chasm between a developer of a tool that one would tend to think is a tool for creating music and musicians was revealed.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”