Ableton Live 10 Public Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

pekbro wrote:I wouldn’t say i’m Touting faster loading. I just mentioned it. Personally, I don’t think that M4L 8 is overly different from 7. A few improvements, nothing monumental.
The C74 website gives some more info on that... seems to be its the M4L 8 'engine' running M4L 7 functionality.

https://cycling74.com/products/new-max-version-8
During the Live 10 beta period, we chose to provide Ableton with a preliminary version of Max 8 whose user-facing features are identical to Max 7 but which contains many changes under the hood. By doing this, we hope to get a lot of testing on these changes as part of our Max 8 development project.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Could anyone beta testing please confirm for me whether the fonts look sharper in Live 10 compared to Live 9 on non-retina displays?

I'm note sure sharp is the correct metric. I find the 9 fonts wider (bolder?) and a bit more legible, but I like the overall look of 10 better. There's a trade-off between what catches your eye. You probably lose a ms or two in recognition of text, but it serves to highlight the content (aka midi notes, audio clips) a little better.

I suppose it would boil down to ever so slightly slower navigation for performance and slightly faster during editing.

It's also slightly different with hDPI turned off or on. I'm not sure which I like better. It's that fine. This is all for 1920 by 1200 on the PC and 1600 by 1000 on the Mac.

pekbro wrote:
Daags wrote:I don't know why quicker loading of M4L devices is lauded ... big whoop, it takes X amount of seconds to load. Now it takes X amount less seconds to load. Is this really something to toot a horn about ?

CPU overhead while it's running is all I give a flying fiddlesticks about. if it ran at half the CPU cycles once loaded it could take 2 solid minutes to load for all I care.
I wouldn’t say i’m Touting faster loading. I just mentioned it. Personally, I don’t think that M4L 8 is overly different from 7. A few improvements, nothing monumental.
oh, I realise you mentioned it previous to my post .... but I wasn't replying to you specifically. I was referring mostly to Ableton themselves, and in a general sense to the various people I've seen make a relatively big whoop about load times in the distant and recent past. Fair enough, nice if something that takes some amount of seconds to load takes some amount of seconds less now.... I just don't get the fanfare, and if the improvement in CPU performance is only somewhere between negligible and minor I could hardly bring myself to acknowledge faster load times.

Reminds me of some major roadworks that finished here lately ... they spent two years working on a short stretch of road that leads right into a bottleneck. Yay, we can get to the bottleneck marginally faster ... and arrive at our destination at the exact same time. 2 years of extensive delays and millions of euros well spent.

(though obviously I realise deeper M4L integration is about more than faster load times)

:shrug:

I don't know if this has been mentioned buy has their been any update regarding Live 10 and making use of the Macbook Pro touch bar?
I love music but more than that, I love making it

homunculus wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned buy has their been any update regarding Live 10 and making use of the Macbook Pro touch bar?
Ableton has stated they won't support the bar because it is Mac specific, they won't implement stuff that doesn't work crossplatform.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
homunculus wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned buy has their been any update regarding Live 10 and making use of the Macbook Pro touch bar?
Ableton has stated they won't support the bar because it is Mac specific, they won't implement stuff that doesn't work crossplatform.
So that means they will not be making a touch interface for Surface laptops (for example)

It already scales, what exactly would you expect from a "touch" interface?

how long does 20% off on upgrades last?

On their site is mentions "Offer is available at Ableton.com and at your local reseller from now until the release of Live 10" - though we've not actually been given a more concrete date at the moment other than 'Q1 2018'

Has anyone received a Beta invite during the last 30 days? I paid for the 2018 update to version 10 back in November but still can’t get a beta invite.

I know a beta spot isn’t a guarantee, I was just hoping to use the push enhancements.

Judging from the feedback, they have more than enough input.

jonljacobi wrote:Judging from the feedback, they have more than enough input.

The wait for the release date continues then.

jonljacobi wrote:It already scales, what exactly would you expect from a "touch" interface?
Scaling is just the tip of the iceberg... For touch, you can't (shouldn't) have menus anymore or things that you do with modifier key (Shift, Ctrl). Right now, to use Live on a touchscreen exclusively you need to use 3rd party add-on that gives you buttons like Ctrl, Shift or functions like Copy / Duplicate / Delete, etc. Even a trivial thing like size & shape (and graphical feedback of what's happening) of clips in Session View needs work...

Bitwig, although far from perfect, has made huge effort to make it work:

https://www.bitwig.com/en/15/bitwig_1_3.html
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BTW, if anyone's on the beta and agree with below requests, then please up-vote them:
- bring back per-track show/hide automation toggle - 2nd most voted after audio comping!
- merge content & automation modes back, by moving automation lane out of the clips' track
- Linked / Alias / Mirror Clips
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”