Cakewalk Sonar Refuges: what's next?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DanBailiff wrote:So no demo for Studio One? I can't find anything. That's also troublesome...
The full professional demo version is there (it defaults to the free version after a month). To download it, you need to create a my.presonus.com account on the Presonus website. https://www.presonus.com/products/studi ... studio-one
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Ah, thank you, I figured I was just being unobservant.

A number of music retailers are listing Sonar as available again in March. Hopefully that is a positive sign.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

anxiousmofo wrote:A number of music retailers are listing Sonar as available again in March. Hopefully that is a positive sign.
Yeah, saw that info on cake's forum.

But after a lot of people jumping into another daw's, I can't make my mind about all of this disaster.

My worry is if this is, after all, an attempt to kill the "lifetime deal".

That would be something to remember in the future :hihi: .

For now, I'm hoping for some positive news.

XorXisT wrote:
anxiousmofo wrote:A number of music retailers are listing Sonar as available again in March. Hopefully that is a positive sign.

But after a lot of people jumping into another daw's, I can't make my mind about all of this disaster.

As a "lifetimer," I am too. I haven't done any ship jumping yet, although I've also used Ableton for a goodly while.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Probably retailers with left over stock they need to get rid of...

Typically retailers aren't able to sell discontinued products, but maybe there's some exceptions where they may not have been given enough notice by Cakewalk... Can't envisage Sonar rising from the ashes so soon...Magix will probably buy it in 10 years though. :ud:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Do you guys think cakewalk would allow retailers to sell sonar platinum at a discounted price and at a discounted upgrade price?

XorXisT wrote:

I'm quite sure that's the reason.

Seems to be a lot of speculation around that Gibson are going bankrupt.

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/gibson ... 202704143/

mutantdog wrote:Seems to be a lot of speculation around that Gibson are going bankrupt.

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/gibson ... 202704143/
Maybe they’re selling Sonar again as a last ditch effort to bring in more revenue and stave off bankruptcy. Won’t get fooled again.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Gibson brings in 1-Billion in revenue per year.
Someone (management) is asleep at the wheel.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Noel mentioned that Gibson/Cakewalk was in talks with a potential buyer.
Numerous legal issues had to be worked out... and details couldn't be publicly discussed.
Haven't heard anything for a while... so it may (or may not) have worked out.

The ads at GC were supposedly a mistake.
They may have been premature of some formal announcement.
Only time will tell...
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote:Noel mentioned that Gibson/Cakewalk was in talks with a potential buyer.
Numerous legal issues had to be worked out... and details couldn't be publicly discussed.
Well, that's (maybe) encouraging. I'd imagine that the lifetime free updates would be a major issue to work out with any potential buyer. I can't imagine that the new buyer would honor it, and it would probably cost them a large chunk of their existing user base.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:
Jim Roseberry wrote:Noel mentioned that Gibson/Cakewalk was in talks with a potential buyer.
Well, that's (maybe) encouraging. I'd imagine that the lifetime free updates would be a major issue to work out with any potential buyer. I can't imagine that the new buyer would honor it, and it would probably cost them a large chunk of their existing user base.
Why should a new company honor a commitment like life updates or pay off those to appease the members of that scheme?

That was a risk assumed by those participating and is null and void as the "Life" of Cakewalk as a corporate entity is over and any purchaser will not be bound to anything but there own EULA and commitment.

If it is available I suspect those lifetimers will asses and probably continue to begin upgrading at their own expense. There still is a marketable base even without lifetimers but there will be some of them in on whatever the new company has to offer.

Legally they may not have to honour existing licenses, but there’s still a marketing reason to. I stopped using Tracktion after the whole Mackie debacle and I wouldn’t buy from a company that screwed existing users.

I have a lifetime license for Sonar, as I do for FL Studio. Image Line have continued to get money from me as new products have been released. Any new owner of Sonar could do the same to get revenue from me.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”