CM special with Rapture and Sonar Home Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.musicradar.com/news/computer ... ry-edition

Pretty cheap deal but here's my question:
Will I be able to open old Sonar projects (Sonar4-5-6) with this copy of Home Edition?

Is there any limitation to the software like track count or something?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Anybody?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Depends on which version of Sonar your old projects used. Sonar Home Studio lacks a lot of content found in Sonar Producer, for example (plugins/FX/etc). I am not sure, but i think there might be track limitations. The product page used to specify, if it's still there (Cakewalk has just been killed by Gibson).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Comparison chart with other versions.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions#start
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Thanks that might actually work with 64 tracks what will happen if I had 80 tracks in a session or more than 8 bus ?

I can confirm it opens up my old Sonar projects very nice for 5 $ ! Rapture is working fine too totaly worth it !

Does it need activation with CW servers? If not, it may be a good idea to grab it as a backup for opening old Sonar project for when Gibson collapses.

Zombie Queen wrote:Does it need activation with CW servers?
Yes, unfortunately, it needs online activation.

I just installed it with my internet connection turned off... The installation goes fine, but after you launch the program it tells you that it can't connect to their server.

Then if you check the "About" page, it shows as being in 'Demo" mode. (Their offline activation method still requires you log into your CW account with an online PC).

... So exactly the same as all of their other products.

Thanks for info. It's pretty much worthless then. Worse even.

Are the activation servers already not working anymore?

They are working and CW makes promises that when they stop working they will handle it. So I'm sure eventually all users will get offline activation... together with their lifetime updates.
From what I gather after reading CW forums, Gibson closed Cakewalk completely and keeps one employee to look after the "support". Activation system is left "as is". It looks like they are gonna keep is all as is until something happens and then see. It doens't look like there is anything being done towards possible offline activation solution. So basically everyone has to wait and see what happens when something happens. I gather that there is 50% chance that when something happens, nothing's gonna happen. That is, users will be left "as is" with inactive software. From what I see about Gibson's financial condition, they may as well shut down everything sometime soon. At which point, again, nothing's gonna happen.
It turns all recent CW products into a time bomb.

Zombie Queen wrote: From what I gather after reading CW forums, Gibson closed Cakewalk completely and keeps one employee to look after the "support".
Poor guy. :lol:

Well, we'll see, i guess. I figure it won't make much sense anyway to keep everything running, say, in 5 years time, when almost everybody will have switched to other software anyway.

chk071 wrote:Poor guy. :lol:
Depends on how you look at it, everyone else has been fired.
chk071 wrote:I figure it won't make much sense anyway to keep everything running, say, in 5 years time...
That's very optimistic prospect.

Makes you think what a class act was the Camel closure. With Cakewalk many users probably don't even know they may have a problem. When they were pushing the sales, you could get a five emails for hour. When they closed, they didn't even bother to write a notice. I wouldn't know squat if I weren't hanging at KVR.

Hey guys, just a heads up...

Presonus is offering a 50% off for crossgrade to Studio One 3 Pro for ANY version of Sonar. I'm verifying this in email though if this Home Studio version qualifies. Technically it should, it's "any" version after all.

So...$150 for a new S1 Pro 3 - pretty tempting!

Check this:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... alk-SONAR-

Zombie Queen wrote:
chk071 wrote:Poor guy. :lol:
Depends on how you look at it, everyone else has been fired.
True that. :)

Not so sure about the "class act" of the Camel Audio closure though... after all, Cakewalk/Gibson also make sure that activations still work, that the servers and website continue working, and that there's still support. Where is the Camel Audio support now, or even few months after their closure?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”