Ableton 10 multiple midi notes question

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kinh wrote:
antic604 wrote:
Kinh wrote:Have some questions for those in beta.
Firstly how's the multi note editing going?
Secondly how many tracks does it give you to edit?
Thirdly does this work in session view and arrangement?
Thanks
It's good for Live, it's pretty poor compared to Bitwig:
- you can't edit (e.g. move, extend/crop, delete) notes from several clips at once,
- it doesn't follow playback, so what you see is not aligned with playhead and you can edit clips that don't play at the same time (why would you even do that?),
- it loops the clips & looks for common denominator, so if you multi-edit 2 clips of 20 and 21 bars, it will show you 420 bars (20*21),
- it doesn't work with audio clips at all

NOT the improvement I was hoping for.
It's late in the day and the caffeine's nearly diluted from my blood stream so I'm getting a little confused.

You cant edit notes from several clips at once? What do you mean by this? Others say you can. You mean edit the same way for other tracks like duplicate?

It doesn't follow playback? You mean you cant see the marker as it moves as you would with one track?
Unless they've changed it in latest betas - and I'm pretty sure they didn't - the situation is still:

- you can only edit notes from one selected clip, while the others are 'in background'. you have to select note from other clip and only then you can edit notes from that clip, but only from that clip; in Bitwig, if you choose so you can edit notes from all or selected clips in window, e.g. you can grab a chords, bass line and synths and move them together, in Live you have to do it separately one by one,

- in Live you can select clips that are not on the same vertical position in arranger window (so, you can eg. edit a 4-bar bassline clip from bar 1 with a 4-bar chord clip from bar 10 - which makes little sense to me), whereas in Bitwig you can do this as well, but typically you'll work in a "track" mode, which means both (or more) clips that you edit are shown as they are in relation to each other in the timeline and the view goes continuously between clips; also, if you move the playhead in arrangement window the Bitwig's multi-clip edit window will follow (if you choose so, which I usually do), while Live's will not,
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

"Nora seems near-identical to Live's MIDI workflow, why would one need it inside Live?"

It's a useage thing - I don't use anything except live input. The only clips I want are empty ones (well, containing automation info). I really just want Live as a live host, using clips/channels to host multiple VSTi's and control/automation info, just using the session view scenes to move through the set. 'Workflow' implies I'm trying to create a product that I want to keep afterwards, but that's not the case. Not sure what I would do with it... wrap fish maybe? :)

[quote]It is possible to send different sources with different MIDI channels to a single track, that is easy with external instrument. Also racks can be used to some extent.
/quote]

True, yet not... There are apps/sequencers that Ableton does not recognize as multi-channel devices, but decides instead that they are 'instruments' or 'effects' - so if I set up an external instrument pointing to, say, Kontakt - then try to drag say, Nora or Numerology or a Mulab MUX into the chain, it either REPLACES Kontakt, or forces it into the chain AFTER Kontakt.

The concept is pretty simple - I can't understand Ableton's phobia about channels other than '1' - it seems bizarrely ignorant of some fundamental electronic music concepts or why the MIDI spec was developed with multiple channels in mind.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”