The freakin USB e-licenser! (for Wavelab)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm was genuinely interested in buying Wavelab 9.5 but just saw that I had to buy that dongle just to try it so that's not gonna happen :x

It's not quite clear to me if I need to have that dongle sitting there each time I want to use it (full version)?
However, I use many other audio programs/VSTs that I have bought and none of these use a dongle.
So is a a dongle in 2017 still really necessary?

Does this actually mean that you can't find Steinbergs programs like Wavelab 9.5 on a warez site? Can the hackers not just copy whatever's going on in that dongle and place it on their harddrive?
I despise those using cracked software but I think this method is overkill and I'd love to see it replaced by something that is hassle free for the user.

The dongle itself is a processor whose instructionset differs from plugin to plugin, so no general way of emulating it. And even before you'd need to figure out how many and which instructions where used. This is not doable in a foreseeable time. There already was few dongle protected software being cracked but that wasn't the dongles fault rather than how & where the devs built the connection to it into their software. But it is not comparable to all the cracked stuff with keyfiles for example.

There are already plenty of topics about dongle vs. c/r vs. keyfile vs. subscription :wink:

Personally I like eLicenser/iLok. Not only because the license is available only once (on the dongle) but also because it's something physical. Therefore you can insure the dongle too and get replacements for your licenses even in case of loss. It also doesn't need an online connection besides activating or moving licenses (which could be a problem if you'd like to sell one). In our studio the dongles are plugged in all the time. No need to take it with us everywhere we go :lol:

Why not demo Wavelab Elements? Only needs the eLicenser software, not a dongle.

Well obviously they would also have many more customers if they had another pain-free protection system and other companies seem to do fine.

Thanks for your inputs.

Soarer wrote:Well obviously they would also have many more customers if they had another pain-free protection system and other companies seem to do fine.
Ditto

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”