So, what DAW did it for you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

metamorphosis wrote:With (in the case of windows) awful font aliasing
Learn how to use your computer and run ClearType. Don't blame the software just because you don't know how to use it properly.
Jace-BeOS wrote: It took so long to get to high-PPI displays.
What are you talking about? I was running Windows NT3.5 at 3000x2000 in 1999. It worked a treat.
i'm definitely accustomed to crisp text on the "retina" displays of my iPhone 4, 6, and iPad Pro, though, so using my MacBook Pro 5,5 and iMac 12,2 for a lot of text is somewhat annoying to me. i wear glasses, so antialiased text looks like blurring to me and i unconsciously lean in and/or squint when i don't need to. Without antialiasing, though, text on low-PPI displays is just super ugly.
If antialiased text looks blurry, then either they are using a bad algorithm (there are dozens to choose from) or it is being applied too heavily. It sounds to me like Apple are using better AA algorithms on iOS than on macOS. For me, text looks just as crisp on my 15" HD laptop display as it does on my ridiculously high-res AMOLED smartphone screen, probably because each is optimised for the screen (see above).
Last edited by BONES on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Making Waves did it for me .. even though it is classed as a sequencer... sadly the developer Steve past away in 2011 I think... I have tried to find the same flow in all the other DAWs but this one just reflected my composition process the best. Does not bog you down in visual wave forms and guff.. focus is on the sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KVR - the many headed beast.

BONES wrote:
Learn how to use your computer and run ClearType. Don't blame the software just because you don't know how to use it properly.
HAHAHAHAH!
Oh you stupid f**k.

I'm talking about the default cleartype aliasing in WIn10, which is awful compared to earlier versions. Goodbye Bones... learn to read..
Last edited by metamorphosis on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: It took so long to get to high-PPI displays.
What are you talking about? I was running Windows NT3.5 at 3000x2000 in 1999. It worked a treat.
i'm definitely accustomed to crisp text on the "retina" displays of my iPhone 4, 6, and iPad Pro, though, so using my MacBook Pro 5,5 and iMac 12,2 for a lot of text is somewhat annoying to me. i wear glasses, so antialiased text looks like blurring to me and i unconsciously lean in and/or squint when i don't need to. Without antialiasing, though, text on low-PPI displays is just super ugly.
If antialiased text looks blurry, then either they are using a bad algorithm (there are dozens to choose from) or it is being applied to heavily. It sounds to me like Apple are using better AA algorithms on iOS than on macOS. For me, text looks just as crisp on my 15" HD laptop display as it does on my ridiculously high-res AMOLED smartphone screen, probably because each is optimised for the screen (see above).
i effing give up. i'm declaring Poe's Law to be in effect here. i cannot tell if you are an over-complicated troll or a legitimately and shockingly ignorant person when it comes to the concept of pixel/dot density. Either way, it's useless to attempt to inform you because you refuse to be informed. i pity anyone who takes your outlandish commentary on this topic as valid data, and it really forces me to call into serious question anything else informational you might offer on this forum.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Calm down gentlemen!

Let's be nice to each other, shall we? :hug:

Anyway, back on topic:

For me, Ableton Live.

Using it since version 4 Lite, it clicked right away.

Then in 2015 I thought the neighbor's grass must be greener so I bought Sonar X3 :dog: .

The only time I cheated Live, look what happened! :hihi:

Ableton Live, I will never cheat you again! :love:

"And they lived happily ever after..." :tu:

BONES wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: i wear glasses, so antialiased text looks like blurring to me [...] Without antialiasing, though, text on low-PPI displays is just super ugly.
If antialiased text looks blurry, then either they are using a bad algorithm (there are dozens to choose from) or it is being applied to heavily.
*too* heavily; 'too' is an excess of, "to" is a direction.

Logic 10.4 is just....wow!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Where is the admin? Are you going to do something about BONES?

Here are some of the midi sequencers and DAW's I have used over the years, in no particular order:
  • Very old PC based Cubase
  • Opcode Studio Vision
  • Passport MasterTracks Pro
  • MOTU Digital Performer
  • Reaper
  • Emagic Logic
  • Apple Logic Pro
My favorite of all time was by far, Opcode Studio Vision. However that was not a full DAW, I was only doing midi. At this stage Apple Logic Pro has my attention, really like it. I might like Cubase but years ago I had very very bad experiences with Steinberg Cubase and absolutely terrible customer support which left a bad taste in my mouth. Today their dongle adds to my reluctance to bother with them, but just based on reviews and features..I believe I would probably like Cubase now.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

metamorphosis wrote:I'm talking about the default cleartype aliasing in WIn10, which is awful compared to earlier versions. Goodbye Bones... learn to read..
What sort of idiot uses the default!?! That's how Mac users think. GO and run teh utility and set it up properly. Then we can talk about who is a "stupid f**k"
jancivil wrote:*too* heavily; 'too' is an excess of, "to" is a direction.
Ahh, the final refuge for the losers of arguments - pedantry. I suppose it never occurred to you that it was a simple missed keystroke, did it? But I'm happy to play if you want to and point out that "to" is not a direction, it's a preposition used to convey motion/movement or the intention of such. Far from having anything to do with excess, "too" is an adverb used in place of "as well (as)" or similar phrases. So, for example, "I have one, too" is perfectly correct usage, assuming you already have one, and one could be the minimum number required by me, which means no excess at all. In fact, I can't think of a usage for "too" that would indicate an excess. Whatever, next time I'll attempt to proof-read more thoroughly so that you don't have to make a fool of yourself again.
clangorous wrote:Where is the admin? Are you going to do something about BONES?
What? I haven't called anyone a "stupid f**k". I simply pointed out that people are very quick to blame their tools for their own inadequacies. We all do it, it's just that most of us appreciate it when someone points it out and we can learn and grow from the experience. Not around here, though, apparently. Would I be a better community member if I just let someone put up with blurry text when they didn't need to?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Cubase on the Atari then LIVE on my Mac
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Pro24 on atari, first cubase on pc, fruity loops for a mad minute, then back to cubase on the pc, now home at Studio one since v1.

The bundled version of Studio One Artist opened the floodgates. Currently happy with Live.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Bombadil wrote:Logic 10.4 is just....wow!
+1..... :P
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

BONES wrote:
metamorphosis wrote:I'm talking about the default cleartype aliasing in WIn10, which is awful compared to earlier versions. Goodbye Bones... learn to read..
What sort of idiot uses the default!?! That's how Mac users think. GO and run teh utility and set it up properly. Then we can talk about who is a "stupid f**k"
jancivil wrote:*too* heavily; 'too' is an excess of, "to" is a direction.
Ahh, the final refuge for the losers of arguments - pedantry. I suppose it never occurred to you ....
I was in fact reflecting you being an asshole. The whole track is WILDLY off-topic anyway, I assure you that is not me making an argument, bright boy. I have zero interest in the matter.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”