how to do MID Program Change to instruments and effects in Cubase 9?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new to using Cubase 9 and cannot figure out how to change presets using MIDI Program Change messages. For instance, I set up Padshop Pro on a track and created an automation Program Change curve in the key editor but that doesn't work. In the inspector under the instruments main top tab, I see "Programs" slot but see no way to automate that.

I'm used to doing this in Bitwig, where I have a "MIDI Program Change" device in the device "chain" and I can switch banks and programs from that.

I also want to be able to send audio effect program change messages. How is this done in Cubase?

Thanks greatly for your help.

Greg

It's done as you have done. If the Padshop Pro you have instantiated is VST3, it won't work, P.C. is not part of the spec.

jancivil wrote:It's done as you have done. If the Padshop Pro you have instantiated is VST3, it won't work, P.C. is not part of the spec.
o wow. I didn't know that! Thank you. I think that was the issue. Appreciate the response!

You're welcome.

jancivil wrote:It's done as you have done. If the Padshop Pro you have instantiated is VST3, it won't work, P.C. is not part of the spec.
Program Changes ARE supported by VST3 plugins. They're used by both Halion and Halion Sonic to switch between Multis or presets. It's Padshop and Retrologue that don't support them, because of the way their preset system works.

Ok, I stand corrected. VE Pro as VST 3 can't use it either, I read that it was VST 3 spec at their forum. IE: you instantiate it as VST 2 and no problem.

Romantique Tp wrote:
Program Changes ARE supported by VST3 plugins. They're used by both Halion and Halion Sonic to switch between Multis or presets. It's Padshop and Retrologue that don't support them, because of the way their preset system works.
thanks for the clarification! That explains why I couldn't get it to work for Padshop Pro. Maybe there's some workaround I can find. I thought of trying to assign a key command to "next program" and automating the key input or something like that... The VST3 version of Padshop Pro is the only plugin that shows up in Cubase 9 for me.

jancivil wrote:Ok, I stand corrected. VE Pro as VST 3 can't use it either, I read that it was VST 3 spec at their forum. IE: you instantiate it as VST 2 and no problem.
O, I see, thanks... Since only VST 3 version of Padshop Pro shows up for me, is there a way to load it as VST 2?

Well, either it shows up like so:
instantiate.png
{note the ones without the /// sign}

or not; if not, that's a no.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”