Is there a non-keyboard alternative to Komplete Kontrol?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks

Years ago I was a Native Instruments Kore owner and loved it. Then NI discontinued it.

After some years' hiatus due to illness I am slowly picking up music production again. I feel slightly outdated on the status of equipment.

I have looked at the Komplete Kontrol keyboards and they seem to be great. However I already own a couple of MIDI keyboards and don't really see a need to replace them (for example, the brilliant and simple M-Audio Keystation 61 mk2 which is great for my workflow.)

I have tried to venture into the world of Maschine, but I am not really a beatmaker. I am a guitar player (classical, acoustic and electric - in that order).

I like the idea of being able to preview sounds, and to easily mix and match plugins into new sounds. AFAIK that is basically a core feature of Komplete Kontrol.

It seems to me that AKAI VIP 3.0 does something similar, but it also seems to focus on the need for a dedicated keyboard?

So I *think* what I am looking for is a gadget that has the controls from a Komplete Kontrol keyboard but without the actual piano keys, and which lets me control plugins and Logic Pro X.

Is there such a thing?
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Well, if you only need preset browser, VIP does that. Now it's detached from keyboards and I actually use it a lot just with mouse.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks Warmonger - but I am also looking for DAW and VST controls.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Well, it's a VST plugin with configurable internal controls, just like any other plugin. However, mapping it to anything else but Advance keyboard sounds pointless to me.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Can the VIP work with basically any MIDI controller? Or does the controller need to support VIP somehow?

And to clarify: I want to use my existing keyboard for playing and get a controller with faders and buttons etc to control everything.
Last edited by kovacs on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

I use Komplete Kontrol as preset librarian but for actually performing and making complex multi sounds nothing beats Kore.

Are you still using Kore, aMused?

Yep

:o Wow. Is it still supported by NI?

kovacs wrote::o Wow. Is it still supported by NI?
No but it does still work, even here on Mac Sierra (although to get the hardware working you need SIP disabled)

The plugin itself is rock solid

good lord. if you're lucky, you kept your Kore license in your account and your controller is still in order. if so, hit the Kore Patches thread at NI forum to get templates for modern plugins.

who knows I might even get my thumb out of my ass sometime this year and tidy up a new batch for sharing.

if not, if you made that most fatal mistake that many others have made, then you're SOL, get a good mouse, I recommend the SteelSeries Rival 500
in fact I'll repeat myself, kore or not this is the best mouse of all time, everyone in here needs to get one. unless you really hate mice and use a ball tracker or one of those weird vertical thingies. well even then give it a try tbh. I'd kick myself soooo damn hard would I find out about it later on and it's discontinued. I swear you can just chuck your keyboard if you have that. you can fit ctrl, alt, shift, space, x, c, v and a! and you still have your back button, and normal wheel including click.

kovacs wrote:I like the idea of being able to preview sounds, and to easily mix and match plugins into new sounds. AFAIK that is basically a core feature of Komplete Kontrol.
NOTE: You DON'T need a Komplete Control keyboard to use the Komplete Control system!

Most of my recent professional work has used the Komplete Control architecture inside Sonar X3 DAW...

Librarian Feature for NI software and other VSTs
Sound Preview functions
et al

I have the Komplete Control software installed and just view it on my monitors inside Sonar! :0)

Download and try it...it's free if you're an NI user!

ChamMusic wrote:
Do you mean a Komplete user? I have lots of NI licenses but not Komplete. It says Demo og Buy. (I have the demo on my Mac now, it runs fine).

Can it be controlled with a non-NI keyboard or controller?

kovacs wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:
Do you mean a Komplete user? I have lots of NI licenses but not Komplete. It says Demo og Buy. (I have the demo on my Mac now, it runs fine).

Can it be controlled with a non-NI keyboard or controller?
Aargh! Yes, sorry, I meant KOMPLETE USER. Without Komplete itself the software environment is not worth it really anyway! I missed the bit where you said you didn't use Komplete.

You can install many other VSTs (I have Omnisphere in there + others), but without the Komplete Library its point is sort of lost.

Can it be controlled from a non - NI keyboard...YES! There will be certain things that obviously won't be there (light guide) and you have to link them all up at the beginning,(10 mins), but they do integrate on many, many things...I'm using it that way as I type with a Novation keyboard.

Video showing just this:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... eo.228471/

You just view it all on your normal monitor as you won't have the keyboard display, (which is too small anyway):

You can:
Preview sounds
Use the Library System
Use the '8 knob' automation functions
Scalic functions (turn off certain keys on your non NI keyboard if you want)
Arpeggiato

Using it with none NI keyboards is limited though as mappings switch depending on the instrument loaded, you don't get the seamless mapping you do with an S series keyboard (eg I tried running it in Kore before I got the keyboard and ended up having to create multiple templates for different plugins, I'd have expected just to be able to map the 8 knobs and that would be it but NI have made it so it changes depending on the plugin loaded)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”