What would be your definition of a musician?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

neverenoughfunk wrote:there is one thing for sure... individuals want the title of musician... but not willing to do what it takes to become one... i.e. they know what LFO is but not middle C!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

have a nice day everyone!!!
bye!

neverenoughfunk wrote:WOW!!! i ask the poster not to refer to me as Shatner... but the MOD wants to post a video...

talking about adding fuel to the fire!!!

WOW!!!
In the post I quoted, you asked (by implication, by saying you didn't understand) what he meant by referring to you as Shatner. I posted a link that I hope explained it to you. Since you're still inserting meaningless ellipses ("...") every few words, maybe the explanation didn't get through, so I'll say it straight out: you're inserting meaningless ellipses ("...") every few words, which is reminiscent of Shatner's way of speaking for... DRAMATIC... effect.

As for "adding fuel to the fire," the irony is impressive. :-} Please proceed, governor.

neverenoughfunk, the way I understand your point is that, for someone to qualify as a musician in your eyes, he/she/it has to have a certain measure of technical prowess with an instrument. What I'd like to know is: why is this distinction important to you? It seems like you're putting down and belittling a lot of people who make music (and who, according to Webster at least, are "musicians"). Is that your intention? And if not, what then is your intention?

What is the benefit of a definition in this context?
I say a person who makes music is a musician and I tend to apply a very liberal interpretation of the word "music". Further, I don't think my interpretation is correct or that there is such thing as a correct definition of music/musician.
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverenoughfunk wrote:there is one thing for sure... individuals want the title of musician... but not willing to do what it takes to become one...
why exactly would someone need to be willing to do something to conform with what is merely your opinion?
if they're willing to do what it takes to become one according to their own opinion, or the prevailing unilaterally defined one, then that's sufficient.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

mu·si·cian
[myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.
Seems the best and obvious answer to me. Precise while not exclusive.

"Someone who makes music, whether professional or not" was my first thought.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

whyterabbyt wrote: in that case, im on the side of drummers ...
Whoa whoa whoa, drummers?! Those are the guys that deliver my pizza, right? I thought we were talking about musicians. :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote: in that case, im on the side of drummers ...
Whoa whoa whoa, drummers?! Those are the guys that deliver my pizza, right? I thought we were talking about musicians. :hihi:
well, you sure as hell can't play 'happy birthday' on a snare drum, so nope, they're not musicians.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:there is one thing for sure... individuals want the title of musician... but not willing to do what it takes to become one...
why exactly would someone need to be willing to do something to conform with what is merely your opinion?

In order to gain the respect of neverenoughfunk. Those to whom that is unimportant may safely ignore neverenoughfunk's self-chosen criteria.

Ever notice how few people support exclusionary exceptionalism / elitism for those having attributes they don't believe they possess? :-}

neverenoughfunk wrote:there is one thing for sure... individuals want the title of musician... but not willing to do what it takes to become one... i.e. they know what LFO is but not middle C!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

have a nice day everyone!!!
do you see a pattern here though? nobody cares if there there the next big thing, seems most people here just like making some noise. these are the people that have the real fun, they don't see music as a job, and thus enjoy themselves much more. its like your telling everybody here to call it a day because they will never be 'real' musicians. its the people that don't give a shit who have enjoy themselves the most because there not looking for others approval. its when you start basing your musical worth on the opinions of others that people get discouraged.

best summed up by henry van dyke:

"use what talents you possess, for the woods would be very quiet if no birds sang but the best."

I thought that was Dick van Dyke. "Use what talents you possess, for the whoooaaaAIEEEE!" *crash*

Meffy wrote:I thought that was Dick van Dyke. "Use what talents you possess, for the whoooaaaAIEEEE!" *crash*
:D

justin3am wrote:What is the benefit of a definition in this context?
I think the OP felt put down by a friend whose own definition was used as a kind of social weapon rather than a mental rule of thumb, and wanted validation from people who aren't involved in that interaction to back up what he(?) thinks is a valid working definition of "musician" to apply to himself.
I say a person who makes music is a musician and I tend to apply a very liberal interpretation of the word "music". Further, I don't think my interpretation is correct or that there is such thing as a correct definition of music/musician.

I say you, and others who posted similar stuff, hit the nail right on the head.

Meffy wrote:I thought that was Dick van Dyke. "Use what talents you possess, for the whoooaaaAIEEEE!" *crash*
Gowd bless yer Maree Poppins

DefiantCatz70 wrote:So my question is What would be your definition of a musician?
Somebody who is able to make a living of playing music.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”