Simple question about balanced output

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm doing some video editing and sound mixing, but not recording. So I bought a pair of Presonus Eris E5 studio monitors which have RCA, TRS and XLR input jacks. Just for fun, I connected the RCA plug to my motherboard out (Realtek HD audio). Lots of hum, no matter what cable I used.

I'm guessing I need a balanced output. Is that best achieved through a DI Box, an interface or what? Any specific recommendations would be appreciated, or please let me know what critical info I've left out.

Thanks,

Richard

Hum is likely the ground loop, (if this is not just hum generated by the output, computer integrated audio can catch lot of other components interferences, stuff you start to hear when you connect out to good monitors) balanced cables won't help here. Check, if the hum goes away when you connect monitors power without grounding. You need a DI box when you want to connect unbalanced cable to balanced input, however these boxes usually have ground lift switch, which can help.

Could you explain what you mean by "without grounding"?

I found it! After doing all the usual plug into the same outlet etc., I discovered an older LCD monitor was responsible for all the noise. I was going to spend a bunch of money on hum eliminator and XLR cables, but now I'll just spend it for a new monitor.

Thanks.

24 imch monitor is biggest you should go I think.

because I hear if you go larger you need a separate graphics card too on top of it still.

Also deals2buy.com has good deals.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”