Audio interface or MIDI keyboard + preamp, and electric guitar preamp?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
sorry

(1)

I'd like a cheap but decent way to hook an electric guitar without an amp to a PC. I read people suggesting a Line 6 POD thing for like $80. I think it should cost less than that and still be decent. I'm fine with it having to plug into the wall for power and then hopefully goes into the PC with USB so I don't have to maybe also get a card with 1/4" jacks unless just getting a 99cent 1/8" to 1/4" jack doesn't degrade quality.

I imagine a decent preamp that plugs into the wall can be had for like $15. They make this for acoustics that connects to a pickup for like $7 and it even has a little equalizer: [ebay link in case link doesn't work] :

(2)

I also want an internal/external audio interface/sound card for getting decent recordings from hardware synthesizers. Doesn't have to be great so not trying to spend much on that.

(3)

I also want a 49+ key MIDI controller with tons of programmable knobs and sliders like the Alesis QX49 for about $90 which I'm pretty sure doesn't have an audio interface or preamp though.

Maybe I can get everything in one MIDI controller but it might cost less to get a seperate preamp and audio card and my choices won't be limited to only the MIDI controllers that can do all this. I have eBay and consider used items.

Thanks.

USB MIDI interface:

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB ... arlett+2i2

This will allow you to 1/4" direct from guitar to interface and the PC can record the audio in your DAW of choice. hook up speakers or use headphones.

For PC effects you can pick up many freebie Guitar FX packages like NI Guitar Rig 5 free, Amplitube 3 free, etc. the full blown packages offer more cabs, amps, effects but to start freebies are good.

any USB Midi controller keyboard that has 49 keys worth anything is gunna be around $120.00+ (USD)

M-Audio Oxygen 49 you can find used all over the place and they have pads, dials and sliders. AKAI MPK series is great starting at 25 keys but they get pricy quick. Alesis I dunno anything about but they look generic and kinda cheap construction.

Depending on what DAW you are working with which controller keyboard will work better for you.

I have an Oxygen 49 and an AKAI MPK 88 both of which do not play all that well with Cakewalk Sonar but in my Ableton or Reason 7 or ProTools work just fine. some things like dial midi learn don't seem to work well, or not all the buttons have been mapped. just depends on what hardware and what the software is covered.

Thanks for the Focusrite Scarlett suggestion. I found it on ebay new for like $100 shipped, and some used sold for like $80.

It says it has Up to 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA for pristine sound quality, so I assume it can be used to get quality recordings from my hardware synths and also be used for a preamp for an electric guitar/mic whiel also makign 24-bit recordings from those. So I apparently don't need a separate preamp and sound card. I'll compare that to the Line 6 POD preamp interfaces and make a choice unless someone suggest something else in the price range.

So I guess I'll get that and then a MIDI controller keyboard I like that has lots of knobs and slider or just use a hardware synth like my JP-8000 to control softsynths but I might be going all software with just a light USB-powered MIDI keyboard.

The Alesis QX49 is probably a great controller. Alesis made the Fully analog poly voice Andromeda which is one of the most renowned synths and they made the ION which is a pretty good VA synth. They're kind of like Roland and Korg; they make some decent budget stuff and kind of dinky electric drum kits but also have higher-end gear.

Thanks.

Many audio interfaces have a hiZ input for guitars. NI KA6, AK1, M-Audio M Track and others ... for a midi keyboard I like Novation ReMote SLs .... big screen, plenty of knobs, sliders, lots of midi and usb options, aftertouch, X/Y pad ... seen them go for £100 on Ebay.

https://www.google.com/

link test. disregard post.

link test. disregard post.

disregard post. link test.

No need to post several replies. Hover on one of your posts, and there's an Edit button ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I have a Tc impact Twin audio interface. Its awesome, but right now is only firewire.

What im looking at for myself self is all i think you might need.

Which theeeeeeeeeee, M audio Track PLus. its good on laptop batteries but if you need one that isn't and is cheaper, get the m maudio fast track. (regular)

It can handle a guitar cleanly i believe. but i difeinately would NOT goe with some rinky dink connection, it really matters big time.

So with the maudio fast track i believe youll be able to hook up a preamp if you want, which you wont need, cuz you can use ableton live saturator or amp possibly like i like sometimes for a more lofi. and you be able to hook up a guitar or two too as well as other lines in and out. Youll need heaphones at least and i use Senheiser 280 hd pro. they are cool to work with and listen to regular stuff too.

I love my m audio bx5a 's. wish i had the 8's for boom. only way id go. cheap and worth while.

i love my oxygen 49 keyboard by m audio too. but youll need a n aftermarket cable cuz it comes loose easy.

Venom by m audio is really tight and cheap. operates just like all the other synths out there that cost hundreds or thousands more.

im not a rep, its just what i like. but i prefer my VSTS.s i don't have a venom nor do i want one. but i watched he demo. i get it. its cool. fo sho. fo sho , peace!
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”