Minikorg (XL?) vs VST

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

(and sorry for my poor english)

I'm bassist and guitarist and I wanted to learn to compose and produce some electronic / indie music (mix with electronic and real instruments). So few month ago,I started to fight with Ableton, VSTs, effects and other stuff to understand the producing process.

I'm ok with recording real instruments and make it sound good in my mix. My problem is synths... when I create a synth (with operator, or massive, or the other one from NI), it sounds like... dead, cold and very cheap... I try adding effects (autofilter, reverb, delay...) but it change nothing.

Do you think it's a good idea to buy a "not-too-expensive" synth like Microkorg ou Microkorg XL ? When I want to play some music, I don't want to spent 3 hours to configure a synth in my daw, it demotivating me...

thanks!

Microkorg interface isn't that much better and it sounds neither.

Better go to a store and try out different synths to see if their sound convinces you and if it's more fun to tweak them.

Maybe you need a VST with better/more intuitive interface, I would recommen fabfilter twin.
dedication to flying

The Microkorg XL has a great sound, I especially like the filter and the oscillators, but it's sync, ringmodulation and waveshaping features are quite badly aliasing. If you want to do complex synthesis with an analog edge, you're better off with something like Diva or something similar.

When it comes to breathing life into synth sounds, it's best to look at tutorials for how to synthesize realistic sounds, then use those techniques to make your synth sounds more "real" sounding. Pitch modulation is VERY important here - there are many ways to modulate pitch whilst still getting a coherent note - subtle random modulation, pitch attack envelopes for creating transients, subtle wavering, vibrato, etc.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Thanks for your replies. I'll go try some synth tomorow.

I'm not against learn some synthesis "techniques" and I'm not just looking for a lazy way to have a good synth sound, I've already learn some "basis" (waveforms, filters...) But when I look tutorials and videos, it (almost) always about big fat sound (dubstep bass, trancy lead and other), and I'm looking for more calm, subtle and non-agressive sounds. Do you know some good tutorials for that?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”