Extreme newbie needs advice!!!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all. I have a "hackintosh" that I built to be an audio/video workstation.. I like to produce music for my own personal "hobby" at the moment but I need advice..,

i would like to be able to use trackpads for use with the software.. being able to drop & drag files into the corresponding buttons would be a delight. Still s much to learn but can I ask :

1) do all trackpads/trigger devices, midi keyboards work with all software?? i.e., logic pro, ableton, MuTools, etc etc etc????

2) Which, in your opinions, have you had the best experience with?? (devices as well as software).

Since Im a beginner, i am learning about dj type setups & home production techniques, I have been on you tube, looking at different forums, etc etc, to gain my knowledge about all there is at the current time..
I appreciate all your valuable time in responding to me.. its a big help.. thanks Freddie

1) do all trackpads/trigger devices, midi keyboards work with all software?? i.e., logic pro, ableton, MuTools, etc etc etc????

simple answer: yes.
External devices are based around transmitting midi-data. Any daw can capture these.

2) Which, in your opinions, have you had the best experience with?? (devices as well as software).

That is a very difficult question. It depends on what you want to do, and what feels right for you.
I notice that it is dj'ing that has your preference, then the push package from ableton and the machine from native instruments are build around that. Machine can be used on every DAW. Push too, but yeah, it's build for ableton. But other daw's have likewise solutions. It all depends on a) budget you want to spend, b) workflow. Other hardware has also most of the time trigger pads, so you can do evertything you want on any daw these days with almost any available budget, certainly if the goal is dance music.

Try demo's of different programs and look for the one that feels right for you, and then jump in. For the hardware, go to a local music shop and try it out before buying it.

kind regards,
R.

Have you built a Hackintosh before? You have to be very very specific about what you put in it. Buts its stable once you're finished.

As for DAW, I assume you would want to try Logic, but there is no trial version. Logic recognized all of my MIDI devices. I would suggest Maschine as well, its great and quiet fun to play.

tmetravler wrote:

1.- Yes and No, almost all function as a genereic midi controller that can be maped to perform specific functions, but Maschine by NI, and Push by Ableton integrate directly with their software providing a lot of control and special functions.

2.- Ableton Live and Push, best integration, the keyboard layout and step sequencer are fantastic.
dedication to flying

All good suggestions. I'll add that if you are currently on a budget and just getting your feet wet and just want to add something to play around with until you absolutely know what you need you can get something like an Akai LPD8 (inexpensive) that will give you trigger pads and knobs to assign to functions.

You may want to call up some DAW customer service and check individually. Ableton was happy to help me personally with that.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”