At the buffet, and a bit overwhelmed

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After half-assing it over the past few years, I jumped in face first recently by getting Komplete 9 (not ultimate) to match with my Maschine MK2 purchase of last year, and around 7 expansion packs. My plan is to schedule in my hobby so the gear doesn't get covered in dust again. I will do free tutorials and audio basics on Lynda.com, but will likely move on to a Groove3 and MaschineTutorials subscription by late autumn.

My question for the forum is what Komplete program would you suggest starting with? "Maschine Monday" is going to happen... but I am not sure if a beginner should wade into synths (Absynth, FM8, Reaktor) or stay closer to Maschine home by learning the basics of Battery first. The DAW education will have to be another day.

Factor in that I have a 50hr a week job with miserable revolving shifts, but with ample time to study during the frequent downtime. And I have a Surface Pro 128 that limits my putting everything on it, but I can at least run my DAW on it for exercises.
Beginner / Hobbyist
Maschine MK2 2.0, NI Komplete 9, Tracktion 5.3
Desktop: Win 8.1 Pro (64bit), i7-3820 @3.6oGhz, Quad Core, 16g RAM
Mobile: Surface Pro 128

I'd start with Absynth. If you ignore the fancier features, like the granular stuff, it's basically a subtractive synth with a fairly conventional signal chain. A lot of the Reaktor stuff will make more sense once you've understood the basic concepts in Absynth. Also, brush up more on the DAW in parallel with this, because at some point you're going to want to start recording your ideas for future reference at least, and it's going to be frustrating if you have to spend half an hour figuring out the DAW every time.

I recently got Komplete 9 Ultimate, quite the smorgasbord. I guess the question is: which of the K9 plugs grabs you the most sound-wise for the music you make? Follow your ear and learn that one. For me it's a toss-up between FM8, Razor, and Monark. Reaktor is a true rabbit hole -- it's possible to do just about anything in there...which makes it easy to lose focus.

If you are making beats it makes sense to examine Battery, and the finer points of Maschine. As Cornutt mentions, sooner or later you'll need to get to grips with your DAW's inner workings to do what you want, you may as well start now. I've signed up for Groove3 and find their tutorials excellent. Best on surviving the 50 hr/week gig btw.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”