Music producer essential information?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tell me things that are IMPORTANT for every producer to know, as far as sound design, producing, mixing, mastering, adding effects, or anything else that i didnt list that is important in the field.

I already know a lot, or at least enough to where i have a handful of songs out, but I know just from experience that music production, specifically for me the music production of electronic music, that it is a very broad field and there are lots of things and important information for everyone who is involved in it to know. As an artist whose goal is to become good at what I do, I think it is important to know all of what the guys who simply just know production like the backs of their hands think I should know, especially with starting out.

I think there was a topic already that asked the same question not too long ago. You might want to search it up.
:borg:

dedication to flying

Some great advice there, good article. This kind of stuff is infinitely more valuable than memorising a list of compressor settings and highpass frequencies for different instruments and getting up to date with the latest plugins.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

That's actually pretty good, I just bookmarked it since I'm pretty much still a n00b myself :lol:
:borg:

A fairly good book on the topic is the "Dance Music Manual" (3rd edition), though it may be too general for you. It gives you a solid introduction to genres and aspects of producing, plus a crash course in music theory (not in depth, which is good). I think it is essential, for electronic genres. A good companion book would be "Music Theory for Computer Musicians", if you wanted to fill the gaps.

But all of that aside, the best thing you can do is to listen to music like a musician/producer, and to keep making music.

Sendy wrote:
Some great advice there, good article. This kind of stuff is infinitely more valuable than memorising a list of compressor settings and highpass frequencies for different instruments and getting up to date with the latest plugins.
Oh yes, some real life advice there. To make music you need to think on your own and do the actual job. Looking for 'holy grail' just by copying things from tutorials and presets won't get you far.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Sendy wrote:
+1
Superb article.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”