Get a new apple mac system + Logic X for under $1200

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apple is expensive but if you want to buy a mac and get logic on the cheap then this is your best option..

Apple Mac Mini Computer $799.00
======================

First you need to head over the Apple store and pick this setup as it is for $799.00
http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/mac-m ... tep=config

This will give you
- 2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (Which is more than enough power for logic)
- 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
- 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
- User's Guide (English)
- Accessory Kit

Next thing you should know is that IT is possible to upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive if you want. So don't freak out because it comes with a 5400RPM because I know 7200 is pretty much essential for sample based work. If you plan on upgrading then go here.

http://gizmodo.com/5165381/how-to-insta ... w-mac-mini

Now you have a computer with no mouse, keyboard or monitor. SO lets go find some cheaper stuff to fix that instead of buying apples $1000 monitor and overpriced keyboard and mouse.

Mini-Port to VGA Adapter $20.00
=======================

Your going to need one of these to hook up our monitor. Apples is too expensive and this is just as good.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

MONITOR SCREEN $114.00
===============

ViewSonic VA1938WA-LED Black 19" (18.5" Vis) 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1

This monitor is pretty decent and it will give you a decent resolution to work with. Eventually you can upgrade and get a bigger monitor for more space but for now this will do!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=5469

KEYBOARD AND MOUSE $21.00
====================

Note: I'm not sure if this will work on a mac, but I imagine it will since I've been able to use logitech stuff on my macbook. Might be worth looking into! Anyhow this is much better than paying nearly $100 for a apple branded setup.

Microsoft Wired Desktop 400 for Business 5MH-00023 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard & Mouse - English

DAW SOFTWARE $200.00
===============

FINALLY your going to need a copy of Logic Pro-X which is $200.00

Now if you are starting out and need a studio setup for about $800 check out my other thread here.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5844842
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

The i5's are no good for DAW work, they're only dual core.

I had one earlier in the year and it choked on 2-3 instances of Massive or complex Synthmaster patches. It's alright with Sylenth, ES2 etc though.

1) Where did you find a pic of a Mac Mini with an optical drive?
Those haven't been around for quite a while. :D

2) Be careful with the Mac Mini. The processors that are built into it might be *called* i5 and i7, but they're the mobile versions and *not* the desktop powerhorses. Just look at the specs on EveryMac, all the processors have the "M" behind their model number. So even though it might look nice with the "2.6 GHz quad" info in the spec sheet, it will probably operate at one-point-something GHz most of the time. Also, the Mac Mini may be silent as a corpse in normal operation, surfing and watching movies and so on, but as soon as you start with a host and a snitload of intensive plugins, you'll think you're sitting next to a waterfall because it will start blowing *really* loud.
They're also only made with mobile processors that are streamlined to use as little power as possible, and not primarily to make use of all their performance. The system can provide more voltage to the CPU in order to give it more breath, sort-of an "internal overclocking" (or rather de-underclocking), but that comes with a lag and can cause "sensitive" hosts like Pro Tools or Logic to halt their audio driver or throw you an overload exception.
iMacs, unfortunately, suffer from the same problems.

3) 7.500 RPM ? Go for SSD immediately, much better standby-to-operation times and burst read (=many files quickly) rates, so way better performance for sample use.

4) To replace the HDD with another HDD or SSD, you have to unscrew the whole thing anyway. You'll need Torx 8 and 6 screwdrivers and some luck to *not* tear out the cables from the fan connector. All Mac Minis have room for a second HDD/SSD, but the ones that come with only one drive will *not* include the very special cable for the second drive. It's not available from Apple directly, but with some research you'll find them on eBay for about $25, at least that's what they cost when I ordered mine in 2011.

5) Why VGA? Does anyone still use VGA? HDMI or at least DVI would probably be the more common types nowadays. Haven't owned a VGA monitor in something like 10 years. Apart from that, VGA is analog and DisplayPort (or Thunderbolt, in the case of the Mac Mini) deliver digital signals, so image quality is going to be seriously degraded when being D/A converted by a cheapo adapter.

6) That display... srsly? 200 candela brightness and a contrast ratio of 700:1 must be the poorest values I've ever read in my last 15-or-so years of TFT use... 400 cd is the least you'd want regarding brightness so you can work without having to draw the curtains during daytime, and the contrast ratio (not dynamic) should be at least 1000 or better, otherwise you'll just see black areas as glowing graytones.

7) Keyboard and Mouse are a matter of taste, but be aware that Windows keys will do different things than Mac keys, the ALT and Meta (CMD vs. Win Key) will be switched, and the F1-F12 keys on the Win keyboard will not be able to access interesting Mac functions like volume control or dashboard access.

Just my $0.02
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:1) Where did you find a pic of a Mac Mini with an optical drive?

2) Be careful with the Mac Mini. The processors that are built into it might be *called* i5 and i7, but they're the mobile versions and *not* the desktop powerhorses. Just look at the specs on EveryMac, all the processors have the "M" behind their model number. So even though it might look nice with the "2.6 GHz quad" info in the spec sheet, it will probably operate at one-point-something GHz most of the time. Also, the Mac Mini may be silent as a corpse in normal operation, surfing and watching movies and so on, but as soon as you start with a host and a snitload of intensive plugins, you'll think you're sitting next to a waterfall because it will start blowing *really* loud.
They're also only made with mobile processors that are streamlined to use as little power as possible, and not primarily to make use of all their performance. The system can provide more voltage to the CPU in order to give it more breath, sort-of an "internal overclocking" (or rather de-underclocking), but that comes with a lag and can cause "sensitive" hosts like Pro Tools or Logic to halt their audio driver or throw you an overload exception.

3) 7.500 RPM ? Go for SSD immediately, much better standby-to-operation times and burst read (=many files quickly) rates, so way better performance for sample use.

4) To replace the HDD with another HDD or SSD, you have to unscrew the whole thing anyway. You'll need Torx 8 and 6 screwdrivers and some luck to *not* tear out the cables from the fan connector. All Mac Minis have room for a second HDD/SSD, but the ones that come with only one drive will *not* include the very special cable for the second drive. It's not available from Apple directly, but with some research you'll find them on eBay for about $25, at least that's what they cost when I ordered mine in 2011.

5) Why VGA? Does anyone still use VGA? HDMI or at least DVI would probably be the more common types nowadays. Haven't owned a VGA monitor in something like 10 years. Apart from that, VGA is analog and DisplayPort (or Thunderbolt, in the case of the Mac Mini) deliver digital signals, so image quality is going to be seriously degraded when being D/A converted by a cheapo adapter.

6) That display... srsly? 200 candela brightness and a contrast ratio of 700:1 must be the poorest values I've ever read in my last 15-or-so years of TFT use... 400 cd is the least you'd want regarding brightness so you can work without having to draw the curtains during daytime, and the contrast ratio (not dynamic) should be at least 1000 or better, otherwise you'll just see black areas as glowing graytones.

7) Keyboard and Mouse are a matter of taste, but be aware that Windows keys will do different things than Mac keys, the ALT and Meta (CMD vs. Win Key) will be switched, and the F1-F12 keys on the Win keyboard will not be able to access interesting Mac functions like volume control or dashboard access.

Just my $0.02
Good info, i'll see if i can't update this to reflect what you said because you have good points.

chokehold wrote:1) Where did you find a pic of a Mac Mini with an optical drive?

Just my $0.02
Man, way to nit-pick the f-u-c-k out of his post. Good points here and there, but damn man...way to be a dick about it. I bet you're an IT guy, aren't you? If not, you're at least a full-time member at Geek Squad. :hihi:
[Insert Signature Here]

V0RT3X wrote:Apple is expensive but if you want to buy a mac and get logic on the cheap then this is your best option..

Apple Mac Mini Computer $799.00
======================

First you need to head over the Apple store and pick this setup as it is for $799.00
http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/mac-m ... tep=config

This will give you
- 2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (Which is more than enough power for logic)
- 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
- 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
- User's Guide (English)
- Accessory Kit

Next thing you should know is that IT is possible to upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive if you want. So don't freak out because it comes with a 5400RPM because I know 7200 is pretty much essential for sample based work. If you plan on upgrading then go here.

http://gizmodo.com/5165381/how-to-insta ... w-mac-mini

Now you have a computer with no mouse, keyboard or monitor. SO lets go find some cheaper stuff to fix that instead of buying apples $1000 monitor and overpriced keyboard and mouse.

Mini-Port to VGA Adapter $20.00
=======================

Your going to need one of these to hook up our monitor. Apples is too expensive and this is just as good.

MONITOR SCREEN $114.00
===============

ViewSonic VA1938WA-LED Black 19" (18.5" Vis) 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1

This monitor is pretty decent and it will give you a decent resolution to work with. Eventually you can upgrade and get a bigger monitor for more space but for now this will do!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=5469

KEYBOARD AND MOUSE $21.00
====================

Note: I'm not sure if this will work on a mac, but I imagine it will since I've been able to use logitech stuff on my macbook. Might be worth looking into! Anyhow this is much better than paying nearly $100 for a apple branded setup.

Microsoft Wired Desktop 400 for Business 5MH-00023 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard & Mouse - English

DAW SOFTWARE $200.00
===============

FINALLY your going to need a copy of Logic Pro-X which is $200.00

Now if you are starting out and need a studio setup for about $800 check out my other thread here.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5844842
Good post, Vortex, and some great advice for someone just starting out in the Mac music-making world. Thanks! :tu:
[Insert Signature Here]

I don't know much about Apple computers, but this is pretty inexpensive for Apple. Plus i like the looks of the thing, pretty spacey. :) Is this like the entry level for Mac computers?

bailees7irish wrote:Man, way to nit-pick the f-u-c-k out of his post. Good points here and there, but damn man...way to be a dick about it. I bet you're an IT guy, aren't you? If not, you're at least a full-time member at Geek Squad. :hihi:
I am an IT guy, I own a Mac Mini, I use(d) it for music production, I ran into some unexpected situations that weren't pointed out in the original post... so yes, I do feel qualified to add information that can save people actually considering a purchase like this some unnecessary letdowns.

If you think that makes me a prick who nitpicks the fcuk out of a post just for the sake of trolling, or that I'm being a dick about something because of any potential (non-existent, btw) antipathy - fine.
Think whatever makes you feel superior. I don't care.

Don't know if the "Geek Squad" thing was supposed to be some sort of insult. If it was, it failed its purpose miserably.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

tehlord wrote:The i5's are no good for DAW work, they're only dual core.

I had one earlier in the year and it choked on 2-3 instances of Massive or complex Synthmaster patches. It's alright with Sylenth, ES2 etc though.
Thanks I edited that out of my OP.

:tu:

chokehold wrote:
bailees7irish wrote:Man, way to nit-pick the f-u-c-k out of his post. Good points here and there, but damn man...way to be a dick about it. I bet you're an IT guy, aren't you? If not, you're at least a full-time member at Geek Squad. :hihi:
I am an IT guy, I own a Mac Mini, I use(d) it for music production, I ran into some unexpected situations that weren't pointed out in the original post... so yes, I do feel qualified to add information that can save people actually considering a purchase like this some unnecessary letdowns.

If you think that makes me a prick who nitpicks the fcuk out of a post just for the sake of trolling, or that I'm being a dick about something because of any potential (non-existent, btw) antipathy - fine.

Don't know if the "Geek Squad" thing was supposed to be some sort of insult. If it was, it failed its purpose miserably.
On the contrary, my good chap! It was you who came off acting superior. How else could I know that you were an IT guy?! :lol: :P
[Insert Signature Here]

chokehold wrote:

If you know of any equally priced alternatives that keeps it all under $1200 i will gladly fix my OP. In the meantime i'll do a bit more research.

LeonardNimoy wrote:You gave a great information about Apple mac system as it looks quite expensive and out of my budget.
Apple isn't cheap, that's true. Although I wonder (genuinely) how much cheaper a similar setup with Windows actually is, considering this has two monitors and the software and such included.

BDeep wrote:
LeonardNimoy wrote:You gave a great information about Apple mac system as it looks quite expensive and out of my budget.
Apple isn't cheap, that's true. Although I wonder (genuinely) how much cheaper a similar setup with Windows actually is, considering this has two monitors and the software and such included.
Sorry it only has one monitor and unfortunately the Mac mini is not capable of dual screen output from what I know of.

I imagine you can get a much better system with windows for the money if you shopped about, and potentially if you took the time I imagine you could put together a Hackintosh and still get your hands on Logic :tu:

Sorry it only has one monitor and unfortunately the Mac mini is not capable of dual screen output from what I know of.
it is, via HDMI for one the screen and via the thunderbolt port for a second one (with a mini display to HDMI or DVI or VGA..), no problems.

commuter wrote:
it is, via HDMI for one the screen and via the thunderbolt port for a second one (with a mini display to HDMI or DVI or VGA..), no problems.

Oh ok the information i saw must have been pre-thunderbolt :dog:

Good to know :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”