Is listening to another song while making yours fine ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In no way is that legal. That is copyright infriengement. It is a violation of originality. And it is considered copying.

I am a certified lawyer.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

is that like a copy of a lawyer? write your own laws!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

What I find tricky is that i'm basically *always* in the state of producing something, so every song I listen to can affect my productions - it might be good at times when it makes you learn new techniques, but a lot of times I tend to compare my unfinished production, to big popular polished tracks, and it really lower my motivation....how does one avoid this?
I think that's one of my biggest obstacles to date....

Please where should i post my beat for a review ?

xoxos wrote:is that like a copy of a lawyer? write your own laws!
promise... yes!
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Hey!

Referencing your track to other tracks is super common and a good way to make music. Listening to different kinds of music is a great way to define what you want to do with your own. It is not cheating if you want your drums to sound like that song and your bassline like that other one. In fact, I will encourage it unless you are actually plagiarising the full song or a great part of it. Artists inspire other artists this way.

I once saw an interview of one of my favorite producers (Nile Rodgers) saying that music is a game of envy, and musicians are always stealing from other artists (in a good way) all time time. He referenced his track "Good Times". When he released the record it was a huge hit and then Queen released "Another One Bites the Dust" that had a very similar bass feel that was inspired by "Good Times".

Don't be afraid to reference other tracks!
Check out my soundcloud!
https://soundcloud.com/vidalemusic

Thank you Vidale

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”