Active Rokit 5's or Passive Rokit 6's

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi there,

I am about to purchase a pair of KRK Rokits and could use some help deciding which option to take.

On my budget I could either get a pair of Active Rokit 5's or some passive Rokit 6's.
I'm not sure firstly if my AV receiver (Yamaha HTR-3065) is good enough to drive the 6's or even if it will be decent quality through my receiver. The KRK website recommends an amp with 50W – 150W RMS @ 4 ohms.

Here are my amp specs:
Rated Output Power (1-channel driven)
[U.S.A. and Canada models] (1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 8 Ω)
[Other models] (1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 6 Ω)
Front L/R ..................................................................... 100 W/ch
Center ........................................................................ 100 W/ch
Surround L/R .............................................................. 100 W/ch
• Rated Output Power (2-channel driven)
[U.S.A. and Canada models] (1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 8 Ω)
Front L/R ................................................................. 85 W+85 W
Center ............................................................................... 85 W
Surround L/R .......................................................... 85 W+85 W
• Maximum Effective Output Power (JEITA, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 6 Ω)
[Korea, Asia and General models]
Front L/R ..................................................................... 135 W/ch
Center ........................................................................ 135 W/ch
Surround L/R .............................................................. 135 W/ch
Dynamic Power (IHF)
[U.S.A. and Canada models]
Front L/R (8/6/4/2 Ω) .................................. 110/130/160/180 W
[Other models]
Front L/R (6/4/2Ω) ............................................ 110/130/150 W

I have no idea what any of this means so I'd really appreciate if I could get some advice on whether to go with the active Rokit 5's or get the passive Rokit 6's? :?

All the quoted power numbers are within the needed 50-150W range. But that's with an impedance of 8 instead of 4 Ohm. It only matters if you plan on using the monitors with the amp set to full-blast a lot.

If an amp is not powerfull enough to drive certain speakers but you try to squeeze out max power anyway, the amp will start to distort. And distortion (added high harmonics) in turn, at high levels can blow out your tweeters.

That will not make your decision any easier. I'd chose on how the monitors sound firstly. For the same money I'd say you'd get a better passive monitor than active. But in the lowest segment of the market KRK is not regarded the best you can get. But your milage might vary.

My final advice: get a demo first, then buy.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”