Need help re creating Synthesizer

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I am brand new to audio production and am mainly interested in popular music.
My next endevour is to attempt 'All Around the World - Justin Biebr'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAw48HucqY
:help:

Before I get stuck into it I have some questions regarding the behaviour of the synthesizer

Firstly, what the hell is it doing. I have done a bit of research into filters and envelopes but I would really appreciate some guidance on how to go about recreating it accurately. The Chorus 1:00 is where it is heard in all its glory and what I am trying to recreate

Secondly, the synth that comes in at 1:15 has me pretty stumped in total. I understand it has a glide / legato setting on it to create the smoothness between the notes but the general aggression and tone of the synth has me lost.

Thanks so much for reading this,

Andrew

Drapte wrote:Hey,

I am brand new to audio production and am mainly interested in popular music.
My next endevour is to attempt 'All Around the World - Justin Biebr'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAw48HucqY
:help:

Before I get stuck into it I have some questions regarding the behaviour of the synthesizer

Firstly, what the hell is it doing. I have done a bit of research into filters and envelopes but I would really appreciate some guidance on how to go about recreating it accurately. The Chorus 1:00 is where it is heard in all its glory and what I am trying to recreate

Secondly, the synth that comes in at 1:15 has me pretty stumped in total. I understand it has a glide / legato setting on it to create the smoothness between the notes but the general aggression and tone of the synth has me lost.

Thanks so much for reading this,

Andrew
Hey Andrew, the synth thats playing has a pitch envelope. try loading up your synth with a single oscillator, assign an envelope to modulate the pitch, now when setting the modulation make sure the pitch is modulated downwards by 7 or 12 semitones. the settings on your pitch envelope should have a fast attack, moderate to fast decay, a sustain amount of zero & a release time thats longer than the release time on your main volume envelope. Now play some chords. Hope this helps..

I'll leave you to get creative with the filters, legato & other features of your synth. Remember to automate parameters on your Synth!

And obviously you should use more than one waveform and modulate other such things like the filter cutoff and automate the vibrato knob on your synth. The example I gave above was just to give you a very basic idea

Hey willdub,

Thanks for your help, I dialed those settings into the Synth and can hear exactly what you are saying and I thank you for clearing that up for me. Do you have any idea at 1:15 how the notes are popping, as in, some of the notes have the attack but the other notes sound glided? Is there anything else at play here?

Thanks,

Andrew

Drapte wrote:Hey willdub,

Thanks for your help, I dialed those settings into the Synth and can hear exactly what you are saying and I thank you for clearing that up for me. Do you have any idea at 1:15 how the notes are popping, as in, some of the notes have the attack but the other notes sound glided? Is there anything else at play here?

Thanks,

Andrew
What you're listening to is actually 2 synths. One of them is configured to create a plucked sound and the other is playing a bass part. The one playing the plucked sound creates the click you're hearing and the bass part has its pitch-bend automated

by 2 synths I mean you're hearing 2 separate tracks

Okay, thanks a lot for your help. I will post here my results when I'm done.

:p !

Thanks

Return to “Sound Design”