Recommend a simple host for a visualiser plugin

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my problem. I made a visualiser plugin for music (VST/AU, Mac and Windows) and it has appeal for people who've never used a DAW before, and when I want to tell people to try it I can't think of a practical way that they can do it, mostly not on Mac.

I could tell them to download Reaper, load whatever track they want to visualise with it, then load the plugin, but who the heck is actually gonna do that? No one.

The most practical way I've found on Windows was to use SAVIHost and use a physical loopback (it splits the audio output in two and one goes back into the line in, the other to the headphones) because SAVIHost doesn't do WASAPI loopbacks and there's no "stereo mix" loopback device to be found anywhere. That gives me visualisation for every sound I hear which is what I'd like people to have.

That means so far if I want to tell people to try my plugin I either have to tell them to do something very impractical and unfamiliar (using a DAW as a media player) or they need both Windows and a physical cable sticking out of their laptop that limits them to using headphones in order to do it the SAVIHost way.

If there was something that could host and loopback simply and well that would be perfect. Also good would be a media player that can host, but there are surprisingly very few of those and the one I tried (Foobar2000 iirc) did a very poor job. It's hard to understand why, I think we here can all agree that a great media player that can host whatever EQ VST you've got would be a must have.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”