How good are these Samson Resolv A6 monitors?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote:I wouldn't use monitors for general listening ... imho you'd be much better off investing in a hifi system.
Agreed!

Speakers have specific designs to serve specific purpose.

IMO you will be disappointed with a studio monitor for hi-fi listening. This will be more pronounced if you have not added a subwoofer to these if you plan general listening.

It sounds like you plan to listen to playback from your computer. If so, you can pick up some really nice computer speakers these days that will better serve this purpose. Some are as good as hi-fi speakers these days.

For more insight into studio monitors vs. hi-fi speakers you may want to read this SOS article. It's old but still apllies:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun02/a ... nitors.asp

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Can you recommend any models?

Based on what I read, the SOLO6C, so called multimedia speakers, sound rather "neutral".
I also read that the Samson Resolv A6, "reference monitors" as they call them, have a slightly colored sound, and it's my understanding that this applies to most budget monitors...

It's all very confusing, because I also saw that many users on Head-Fi forums (I hope it's OK to mention them here) use monitors as their main speakers, with the JBL LSR305 being very popular (and also the M-Audio BX5 series).

I'm gonna give the Samson a try and see if I like what I hear. That is the best I can do to determine whether they'll work for me or not. I can't test the SOLO6C, unfortunately, since stores won't allow it and I can't find used ones.

Still, would you say that budget monitors such as the Samson A6 and the M-Audio BX5 have more clarity (detail) than the SOLO6C or other, similarly priced "computer speakers"?

Thanks.

yonyz wrote:Can you recommend any models?

Based on what I read, the SOLO6C, so called multimedia speakers, sound rather "neutral".
I also read that the Samson Resolv A6, "reference monitors" as they call them, have a slightly colored sound, and it's my understanding that this applies to most budget monitors...

It's all very confusing, because I also saw that many users on Head-Fi forums (I hope it's OK to mention them here) use monitors as their main speakers, with the JBL LSR305 being very popular (and also the M-Audio BX5 series).

I'm gonna give the Samson a try and see if I like what I hear. That is the best I can do to determine whether they'll work for me or not. I can't test the SOLO6C, unfortunately, since stores won't allow it and I can't find used ones.

Still, would you say that budget monitors such as the Samson A6 and the M-Audio BX5 have more clarity (detail) than the SOLO6C or other, similarly priced "computer speakers"?

Thanks.
really your best bet is to ask over at head-fi. i've been a member over there for years, and they always seem to be a friendly bunch. anyway, their number consists mainly of music listeners, rather than creators (though there are still producers there) so you will get better advice from the perspective you are after

I've opened a few topics there, and got zero replies. That's why I decided to try KVR, even though it's a community of producers / musicians rather than "audiophiles".

I agree with el-bo in that Head-fi members will be better likely to answer the question of "what's the best hi-fi" speakers for my purpose.

If you're not getting responses, persevere. Even this thread has had more than 100 hits and very few repsonses.

In all though, your ears will be the best judge.

If you have opportunity to listen to those you have interest in you should do so. Speakers are not created equal and only you can determine if one is right for you over another.

Try to replicate your listening environment when auditioning. Definitely take listening material with you when you audition.

Good luck in your search!

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:

If I could just listen to all of them, I wouldn't have opened a single thread. :)

I can only listen to the Samson Resolv A6, but not anything else. That's why I'm asking here, maybe someone tried the A6 and also the SOLO6C, even though they aren't competing models or even in the same category.

Thanks to all who replied so far!

I can appreciate that yonyz, however, are you so intent on those models you have expressed?

Are there no stores in your area selling speakers? Of any kind?

If not then you are at a complete disadvantage in that you will have to purchase in hopes your choice will be agreeable. If not then you may have wasted your money.

If, OTOH, there are some stores around where you can have a listen then it will be to your advantage to do so.

You may run across something that better suits your ears and budget. You never know till you try. ;)

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:

I won't find any speakers with 5" or larger woofers in that price range, new. Everything here is ridiculously expensive. I'm sure I'll find awesome speakers in any store, but none of them will cost as "little" as $200.
My only option is to buy used. I couldn't find any 6.5" active/powered speakers up to $200 other than the Samson and the Microlab.

i bet you could find a second-hand yamaha/sony/marantz etc amp with some mission/wharfedales etc, second-hand, within your budget, that will give you great pleasure

if you are completely sold on powered, then go listen to the samson's with a cd of music (preferably multi-genre) that you know well. if you like what you hear, that's all that counts...just buy them :shrug:

also, with regard to head-fi....i reckon there are enough threads there, including reviews, that you could get all the necessary info without starting a thread. if you are having trouble getting much info on these other speakers you mention, then maybe there's a reason.

yonyz wrote:My only option is to buy used.
Then look for a used hifi system ...

I was looking for used hifi systems before I ventured into the budget monitors realm, but they're all passive speakers, and most used receivers/amplifiers I found take up at least 70% of my budget, so I cannot afford a receiver AND speakers. Also, those receivers are all huge, for surround systems, so I don't know where I'll put them. I also have no idea how to match a receiver to speakers.

yonyz wrote:I was looking for used hifi systems before I ventured into the budget monitors realm, but they're all passive speakers, and most used receivers/amplifiers I found take up at least 70% of my budget, so I cannot afford a receiver AND speakers. Also, those receivers are all huge, for surround systems, so I don't know where I'll put them. I also have no idea how to match a receiver to speakers.
you don't need surround. to match, make sure you match the ohms of the speakers to that of the amp, and provide a little overhead on the wattage

anyway, i can understand that you prefer powered

I went through another 10 pages or so of audio gear for sales. I found one stereo amp and it's $170. :\
Still looking for powered speakers though... Maybe I'll find another one in my budget.

yonyz - will something like a home theatre in the box system work for your purposes?

Even though it's home theatre you can still use these systems for music pleasure, possibly even for creating mixes.

Actually, I end up listening on my HT system all said and done, monitoring the mix on a pair of JBL 4206's.

I don't know if you can purchase from amazon in your part of the world but I did a simple search from my location and came up with several possibilities - some of them well under your budget.

See if this page will help you:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Theater-Syst ... ode=281056

I hope this helps you to find a resolution.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”